1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Summer News

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, May 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Add Bristol Rovers at their place on Saturday 17th July.

2. notDistantGreen

Interesting comments in Ryan Lowe's interview with the Herald.

“We have had loads of people asking would we take young loan lads. Well, no, we have done that, we have been there. We are in a position where we can get, with all due respect, senior players, better players and players who are not on their first loans. We don’t want to take all our energy up in coaching other players that are not ours. We would rather coach our young players that are here in the group, so that’s what we will do.”

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To be fair it's what a lot of people have been saying for a long time now. Have to say I agree with this as well. Why would you spend all that time developing other clubs players to the detriment of your own. Admittedly we have had a few who were first class, mostly from Bristol City if memory serves, but the majority have been ordinary to poor. It also sends out the right message to would-be wannabes to join Argyle rather than other clubs and you will get a chance if good enough. We don't have a good past record for doing that.

4. notDistantGreen

The last lot of loanees certainly didn't do us any favours.

There is another interesting bit in there where he mentions loan deals that require the loan player to be picked for X number of games, come what way. He confirms that we've been the victim of that in the past and that it's intended to do it when we lend players out. Personally, I think if they're good enough they'll get picked and if they aren't, they shouldn't be, but what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander I suppose,

5. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Argyle's away trip to Peterborough in the first round of the Carabao Cup...is on Tuesday 10th August at 7.45pm.

6. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

We have a heatwave going right now, 44C was the high, now cooling off at 28.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

A bit too warm for me BC. I used to be able to stand it but these days I have to sit down and get the breathing apparatus out. A nice 20 is fine with a bit of cloud cover from time to time. I did read about your heat wave and the deaths it has caused.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The news was stating that the temperature reach 49.5C in parts of Canada......and air conditioned warehouses were opened up so people could get reiief from the heat and a cold drink.

49.5C in real money is 121F....blimey I thought we were badly off playing football and cricket out in Aden in 100F.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So first pre-season game today...against Parkway.....I expect every player might get a few minutes.....so I doubt that it will tell us much about the new players.....although some fans will get their first view of the "new" Argyle.

10. notDistantGreen

There will be two Argyle teams apparently, switching over at half time to get everyone game time and hopefully reduce the risk of injuries.

I think I read somewhere that Parkway's promotion to Southern League Division One South puts them in a band in which they can take Argyle youngsters on loan. That makes it a useful partnership.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Haven't they in the past taken young Argyle rejects into their team.

PS.....just checked.....previous involvement with Argyle

River Allen
    Ryan Lane
    Jordan Bentley
    Callum Hall
    Jordan Copp

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Doing a bit of dog minding this weekend for my sons family.....so down the local park this morning....learning to use one of those extending leads....and of course a roll of poo bags.

Half way round the park....and in the distance was this big fellow and his wife plus a pram walking towards me.....and I noticed that he seemed to be spoken to by everyone who walked past him.

When they were quite near another fellow said hi to him and asked him what the score would be tonight.....and he said we'll win 1-0.

It was only when he spoke that I realized who it was.....Rio Ferdinand.....didn't know he lived local......there are two millionaire gated estates nearby....so maybe he lives in one of those.....there are well known people that do live there....one of the TV Gladiators and an ex- female tennis player who is commentating at Wimbledon this week are two I remember.

So you heard it first here.....we're going to win 1-0.

13. notDistantGreen

Please tell me Rio Ferdinand told you that and you didn't divine somehow it from the content of the poo bag.........

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

NO ...he told the fellow who asked him.....I was just a passing doggie walker.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Are you insinuating that Rio Ferdinand talks s*** notdistant? You are probably right if you are but it's rude to say it out loud. I have totally not started to think this is a cert result for us. I have been an Argyle supporter for far too long and know what disappointment is from the jaws of a cert victory. The fat lady needs to sing out loud and finish her song before I get excited. I find it better for my mental health that way.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Parkway...1-5...Argyle...F/T

Galloway 30mins.....Hardie 49mins (pen).....Jephcott 53mins.....Camara 70mins.....Rutherford 85mins.

17. notDistantGreen

I have to say the new club website is 1000% better than the iFollow equivalent. It's bursting with coverage and interviews after our first game: a friendly at Plymouth Parkway.

Five new items have been posted in the last 24 hours, of which 2 were posted on the Sunday.

It looks a big step forward in how the club is able to portray itself.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Even a chat with Macaulay Gillesphey after he was met at Exeter Airport in the car coming back to Home Park....interesting comments about playing in Australia plus his favourable comments having just arrived and seen the pitch quality.

19. notDistantGreen

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.