1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer Recruitment Thread

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Jack TheLad, May 28, 2019.

1. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I've not seen much of Marquis but I have seen Eaves play a couple of times. He's a big lad but he's much pacier and much more mobile than Wyke. Him, Marquis, and Wyke all have similar stats but it all depends on how they fit in with the rest of our squad.

2. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Seems most of us can see the problems we've encountered this season.

Defensive record is a bit of a red herring in terms of clean sheets and goals conceded. Our CBs are weak as piss and playing a centre mid at RB is not the answer.

Creativity too. Honeyman has great energy and a great attitude so I'm not slagging the lad, he's just not very good and has very little quality unfortunately. Like it's been mentioned before I'd have Gooch well ahead of him.

A 3 behind Grigg of Maguire, McGeady and a proper number 10 would be a strong front 4 for the level.

Dorset, The Norton Cat and Nads like this.
  3. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

i wanted Eves above Grigg,would have been a better fit, and said so here a lot, we needed someone to hit the ground straight away, Grigg was injured, big mistake which we paid for

Dorset likes this.
  4. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

Got the impression that it was Grigg or nobody. If that was the case im not surprised we went for him.

5. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Anybody any idea what date the retained list will be announced?

6. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

It could be tomorrow - already a few players announcing that they are leaving

Ruiter - going
    Dunne - going
    Kone - sold to Strasbourg
    McGeouch - has an option to extend his 1 year deal or could leave on a free

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Makemstine Roger and Jack TheLad like this.
  7. Makemstine Roger

I read that we get 1.5 mill when Kasri signs

8. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Stuck this one - hope no-one has any objections to that! Will no doubt be fairly active

Dorset and Jack TheLad like this.
  9. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

Sunderland have been linked with Peterborough United forward and boyhood Black Cats fan Marcus Maddison. (Daily Mail)

please log in to view this image

The Norton Cat likes this.
  10. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Was just thinking that we should have better options in the summer window than we did a year ago, now the club is stable and it's evident we're among the promotion favourites.

I thought we'd be around mid table but I wouldn't have been surprised if it'd have been another relegation battle and I guess that was what our targets would have thought too.

11. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

I'd like to think so. The uncertainty last year won't have helped a lot of the targets.

Was listening to Donald on the podcast and he mentions he's trying to get good relationships with big clubs and mentioned Liverpool. Might mean we can get some favours on loan deals?

Dorset likes this.
  12. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Hopefully, I think Sterling was a panic signing because if the reporting was accurate he was far from first choice, we were probably just phoning clubs up and asking if they had any forwards available after failing with our targets. With time on our side and maybe some improved relationships we could get a gem or two in.

jdsafc likes this.
  13. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

I picked up on that too. We are very fortunate to have Stuart and Charlie running our club.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  14. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

Sunderland apparently getting Laurence Shankland from Ayr Utd. 50 goals in last 2 years. Deal’s all but done on the 23 year old so they say...

Just found this article on Google. Very impressive stats this season!

Free agent Lawrence Shankland could be the wi

Sunderland have been credited with a long-term interest in Ayr United striker Lawrence Shankland. A recent report (by The Scottish Sun) reaffirmed Sunderland’s interest in Shankland.

The striker has confirmed that he will be leaving Scottish Championship side Ayr this summer. And a host of clubs are expected to take a punt on him.

Shankland would be a risk for Sunderland due to his lack of experience in England. But Jack Ross will know him well from his knowledge of Scottish football.

And Shankland could be a gamble worth taking, especially as he is a free agent. Alongside Will Grigg and Charlie Wyke, Sunderland could have the firepower to launch a promotion bid.

Shankland’s goalscoring record cannot be ignored. He has consistently scored goals in the Scottish leagues and shown that he needs to be given a chance at a higher level.

(photo by David Young/Action Plus via Getty Images)

This season, the 23-year-old scored an impressive 34 goals in just 41 games with eight assists too. That took his total tally to 61 goals and 24 assists in 73 games for Ayr.

Having proven himself in the second tier of Scottish football, it is time for Shankland to step up; this could be a move to the Premiership or a transfer to an English club.

Sunderland’s play-off final loss will still be a disappointment. But Ross needs to focus on the 2019/20 season and getting Sunderland back to the Championship.

A bargain swoop for Shankland could be a wildcard masterstroke that gives Sunderland that extra advantage in next season’s promotion push.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Makemstine Roger likes this.
  15. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Read somewhere this kid is the top scorer in all our pro leagues last season.
    However the level he's playing at is a worry but he certainly knows where the onion bag is so give him a go.

Dorset likes this.
  16. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

34 goals and 8 assists in 41 games. Like you say, a bit of a gamble, but those figures are impressive and another point to note is he would bring some much needed height to the team as he is 6' 1"

17. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Marquis apparently ‘wanted to come in January and still hopes to’.

Positive.

18. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

Depends how much there Gona hold out for really, He won’t come cheap.

Nads likes this.
  19. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

20. Makemstine Roger

it has been said loads of times you need three strikers. Grigg Marquis and the young Jock would do nicely.