1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer Rumours

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It seems that Ladjie Soukouna has been released.....how does that work financially with his two year contract ....do they pay him compensation for the rest of his time ?

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Have to plym. However I've no doubt he was offered a lump sum a lot less than the contract would have paid over the time so from an Argyle point of view if he didn't figure then it will be cheaper in the end. Just think he could have done this sooner unless of course the player knew he was not required and held out in the negotiations for a few quid more. He was a bit part player at most so it is no great loss on the pitch but if he has only just told him then I think it is poor on Fletcher's part for not doing it quicker when the player might have stood a chance of going somewhere else.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I fail to see how leaving Soukouna hanging on to the last minute benefits anyone.

I assume being a free agent will allow Soukouna to find a club outside the window.....if not he's on the dole !!

Releasing him means surely an up front pay-off of his contract.....meaning a wedge of money out of the Argyle kitty at the time Fletcher needs cash for new players to come in.

So only works over a longer period I would of thought....can anyone clarify that.

Some of the youngsters on loan I believe....but other than that only one player in (at present only 8 wks) and one player out.......no strengthening of the mid-field, which is desperately needed........maybe someone next week during the loan window.....I hope so.

4. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

Taking a guess I would think that he already has 1 or 2 lined up on loan, probably sorted over the last week, and hence the loan out and release. Gorman, Gurrieri, Lowry signed and Young coming through add potional to the midfield, I will not say strengthen as my crystal ball is a bit cloudy at the mo. I thought the general concensus was we needed a striker MacDonald comes in and it should have been a midfielder?

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

MacDonald doesn't play as a striker he plays out wide mostly. I think they classify this as midfield these days. I answered your point about long run saving in my previous post plym.

We don't know the details of Soukouna leaving or how it was done or came about so it is a bit unfair to diss Fletcher completely. It doesn't look good but I wasn't a fly on the wall. He becomes a free agent and is free to sign for anyone he wants at anytime. I doubt we would have been able to sell him if he had been on the market.

6. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I presume what Sensible was referring to was that a lump sum payment to end Soukouna's contract would have been discounted to recognise he was getting the money earlier than if he'd got it month by month. It's a standard financial measure, the theory being that he could put the cash into the bank and the interest would make it back up to the number you started with, although I guess it will have been a matter of horse trading rather than a DCF calculation!

More to the point though, I wouldn't be surprised if payments to terminate contracts fall outside the wage cap, whereas monthly wages are inside it, thus giving Fletcher a bit more room for manoeuvre if we are already up against the stops. Just as importantly, having a player hanging around who isn't actually going to play is potentially a bit disruptive - and not altogether fair to the player in question either.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Interest on money in the bank notDistant, I thought that those days had long passed......if you know something that we do not please pass the secret on !

8. notDistantGreen

I was just making the point that money now is worth more than money in the future and that's one of the fundamentals of business finance! Cash flow wise there's clearly a penalty as it has to be paid as a lump sum now rather than over a period of time.

Anyway, to repeat what I really wanted to say: I wouldn't be surprised if payments to terminate contracts fall outside the wage cap, whereas monthly wages are inside it. If true, that is more significant.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Well summers gone now but just one more........Sky are reporting that mid-fielder Ross Jenkins of Watford is on the verge of spending time at PAFC.

He is 21yrs old played 80 games and scored 2 goals........haven't we already got similar players already......he has dropped down the pecking order and is rarely going to get a game for Watford.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

No we haven't got similar now. Jenkins is already blooded in a higher league so his age belies his experience. Don't jump on the ATD style bandwagon and condemn him before he has kicked a ball. Have you ever seen him play? If not then comments about ability are just speculation based on nothing in particular. I will always give a player a chance to impress and not write them off before kicking a ball in anger. We need somebody in midfield and neither you or I know that Jenkins isn't it right now.

11. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

AS I stated in one of the other threads we will not get the standard of loan players that we did when in the higher divisions. Looking at his record he has played less games per season as he has got older which is a bit odd but lets hope he is looking to get his carreer back on track and can do a job for us in what is the weakest position we have IMHO. Fingers crossed as we need someone in there fast especially if Wotton is going to be out for a while.

12. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

Confirmed signed until the end of October played under Boothroyd and Rodgers so must have something but has dropped down the pecking order since. Fingers crossed he can get the central midfield working so Jenkins/Houri or Jenkins/Young? Young could probably do with a rest on the bench by all accounts.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

One of our summer loans Gorman has returned to Wolves.

14. notDistantGreen

Presumably because his injury is serious and it's better for Wolves to handle his treatment [and relieve us of the wages]?

Or was he scheduled to go back?

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sorry notDistant have I missed something....his he injured........there is talk of Wolves playing him in a cup game Monday night.

16. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

Not injured as far as I know just think that with Williams,Bhas and Guirr he was not going to get many chances to play which sort of defeats the point of being out on loan. Also Jenkins signed the next day so possibly we are at our squad max/budget?