1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer Signings

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Gary Sawyer (29) returns to Argyle having been released by Orient. one year contract.

Played for the Pilgrims between 2006/10.....not sure what to make of this...experienced player...but we seem to be overloaded on the left side of defence ....Unless we are losing players in that area....could be Purrington on the way...Norwich were interested.

Hope there is bigger fish on the way.... please Mr Adams.

2. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Well it's a start and an ok signing I suppose....throwing the bait for the big boys I suppose again. <whistle>

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What exactly is a bigger fish in this league then Plym? We get what we pay for and we ain't pushing the boat out anytime soon. Sawyer is a decent signing but I don't want too much wasted on positions we don't need to fill.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Maybe a player that we have actually bought with real money...who is above Div2 standard and has come to PAFC because we've given him a good deal.

Cor-blimey did I really say that........lets hope it happens....I'm going to be away from Saturday until Wednesday evening (Bournemouth again), lets hope when I get back we've picked up a couple of good gems....It'll be July 1st by then....lets hope our players sitting on the fence have signed their new contract by then and we don't have to waste time replacing them.

I could have a chat with Carl F, see if Bouremouth have a couple of surplus players that might not make their Premier squad this year.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Yep and pigs might fly on both counts Plym. There is no chance Brent is going to sanction spending on fees for players. Would Uncle Carl do us any favours? Debateable.

6. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

We Done Mr Fletcher a favour... he has done ok since his departure...

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Apprentices Louis Rooney (forward) and Callum Hall (midfielder) have been awarded Professional Contracts and have joined the first team squad.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm quite looking forward to Rooney getting a go. Have heard good things about him and think he may be a valuable player to us at some point. There must surely be a chance that this Manager will give our own youth a chance.

9. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

There is plenty of budget sensible, but very few clubs in L2 actually pay a transfer fee any more. Operating at this level (and to budget) means we have to spend the money wisely and mainly on wages rather on unnecessary compensation. We are still officially in the 'closed season' and most contracts don't expire (at all clubs) until 30th June 15 so I would expect a flurry of activity/announcements both in and out after then.

As far as Sawyer is concerned , I think you will find that it will soon be a position that needs filling. McHugh isn't a LB as proven last season and I suspect the other one wont be around much longer.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm not advocating operating outside the "budget" notdistant. I would love to be a fly on the wall when the Manager is told how much he has to spend though. My guess is it isn't as much as we think it should be. This "closed season" thing is a bit of a red herring also. Plenty of other clubs are signing left right and centre for it not to matter to them. If we are waiting for the end of contracts then we will be left with very little to bother with. It's Brent's own fault if everyone thinks he is a cheapskate. To be honest if I was ever looking for somebody to do business with his track record since coming here would put me well and truely off. That's his own fault as well.

11. lyndhurstgreen

not sure why you addressed that to nondistant instead of me but there you go. The point about the closed season is that the majority of contracts expire then (30 Jun) and it might just be that

a) we are waiting for our own players to decide on new contracts
    b) we are holding off on announcing new players until after that (as they may still have an option at their old club)

Dont forget we 'lost' 2 weeks due to the playoffs and arguably a further 2 weeks appointing a manager. You might find (I know) that some key members of staff are on their holidays until the end of the closed season- there is life outside the club and club officials have to take time off at some point in the year; the closed season is prob the least disruptive. Clearly this won't suit some supporters, but the first match of any relevance is still some 6 weeks away.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's an age thing Joe.......<whistle>

Or more to the point I didn't read it properly in the first place.

a. should not stop us doing anything. Why should they hold everything up when they may not sign. O'connor is unlikely and the other two are Purrington and Harvey so my advice is get on with it or push off.

It hasn't stopped other clubs so far lyndhurst so why would you make excuses for Argyle?

13. lyndhurstgreen

Because most clubs haven't had the same degree of disruption as we have. Fear not, we will have a decent team assembled by the end of the summer. Ye gads! the Ashes haven't even started yet and we are fretting about the winter game.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't really give much of a stuff about the Ashes lyndhurst. Never much of a test match fan and with cricket preferred to play rather than watch. And for the record not bothered about Tennis either.

I will hold you personally responsible for the "decent team". :emoticon-0146-punch<grr>

15. lyndhurstgreen

please do, in brent/adams we trust (for now).

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

If you get any greener you'll attract your own snails....:D

17. lyndhurstgreen

been in the garden all afternoon and trust me I already have my own. Threw about 100 over the wall this afternoon and there is no way they can get back in. Nematodes are the best control measure but mega expensive.

18. Greenarmyjoe

Those snails are every were now.. f ucking things... Well i like the cricket but don't like that other crap tennis.. why does that not go to sky? because its rubbish and nobody watches it.. if they did Sky would sign it up!!
    Benn Kayaking all day around Torbay.. lovely weather.. more on its way...

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Is Benn Kayaking like dogging but on water Joe:emoticon-0172-mooni

(sorry)

20. Greenarmyjoe

Well spelling mistake.. Never take the dog Kayaking!! :emoticon-0147-emo: