1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer Transfer Thread 21/22

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Steven Toast, May 2, 2021.

1. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

There is a problem on the kids front, I've said before about kids at the schools I've taught at not being City fans and that still rings truer than ever. You're battling against what I call the FIFA generation, where kids aren't bothered about their local team, they just want to support teams that win all the time and "interact" with the big name stars. Believe me, I've tried pointing out to these eight year olds that supporting their hometown club is so important, I mean ****'s sake you can see the stadium from my classroom window <laugh>. At the minute it's just endless non uniform days of PSG, Barcelona and Liverpool shirts. The issue isn't always to do with affordability, as with anything related to children, interest is the driving factor. Can you convince an eight year old that watching a Championship game against Blackpool which we aren't guaranteed to win featuring players they probably haven't heard of is more fun than sitting and playing FIFA with their friends on a Playstation? That's the main battle. Think of kids as the ultimate plastic fans, they don't have the context of tribalism or loyalty embedded so they just flit from one big name to the next. You'll see a lot more Man U "fans" at schools now that CR7 is back.

The way to get kids in and watching the team is to get schools taking kids, or give tickets away to get them their first experience. Parents will only bother if they're City fans and if they are staying away themselves, they're not gonna go just for their kids (selfish as that sounds). Like any business, you've got to hook people in and give them the best experience possible so they keep coming back. I know football is a bit different to a restaurant, but the premise is the same; you get somebody in, they enjoy the experience, they recommend it to a friend and hopefully they come back.

We could have a kids go free day, odds are that if you can get 2000 extra children, I'd reckon around 10% will want to come back and then you've got 200 kids hooked for life, they tell their friends how amazing it is and then hopefully it spreads. They have to drag their parents along, you get a small bump in attendances. Offer kids under 12 a free chips or a hot dog, a programme and a piece of tat like a clapper or even something decent like a scarf and you take the burden off the parents to buy merchandise and food plus the kids have something to take home. It's about embedding those good memories so that they associate fun with the team.

Hooking up with the university which Allam put money into and the local colleges and getting students in would also help, given just how many there are in the City.

2. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

But have plenty to say, every day about them all of it negative.

Howdentiger2 and Ric Glasgow like this.
  3. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

Great post sterling

4. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

-> don’t care why he’s done it all I do care is he has and it’s made it affordable. So he hasn’t lied has he?
    Of course he's lied, and / or was talking BS, and you know it.

-> A genuine question, Kempton, in peace. If your dislike of the Allams is depriving you from watching the team I assume you love, is it worth it?
    An excellent question to ponder. Very well put.

-> At least give them some credit instead of continually branding them as liars on a daily basis.
    It shouldn't be an either / or. They are liars, we all know it, and we shouldn't forget it or let them forget it. But also credit is due where good stuff is done, and some good stuff is being done. They need calling out though as liars as that's what they continue to do. The answer is for them to simply stop talking lies and BS then we'd have no need to call them what they so blatantly continue to be.

PLT and OLM voices of reason and fact.

Ironic that the 'gang' on here that tells the other 'gang' to stop going on about the Allams are just as guilty for perpetuating it by responding every time! This board gets more like an infant school playground by the day with the sniping and childish responses.

Kempton likes this.
  5. GEvans76

GEvans76 Well-Known Member

When Slater comes in that will fill in the last loan spot so unless we are looking at a free agent we won’t be seeing an experienced CB coming in.
    Seems a strange decision.

6. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

Talking of infant school behaviour... E9fhCjwWYAU5HH7.jpeg

You found this appropriate to re-tweet??As did one of the voices of 'reason and fact'!!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  7. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

My views are my own and I am not part of any gang.
    People peddle as many mistruths as the Allams have and anyone who doesn’t realise that is fooling themselves.
    I will post what I like and if you consider this board to be a playground with childish posts, why did you join in?

8. Blaknamberblood

Blaknamberblood Well-Known Member

So .... has there been an official line suggesting we paid the loan back then ? I kind of assumed we had when we brought in Smith for an undisclosed fee (although now being suggested it was a free !) I'm a little lost at where that leaves us as far as allowances in tbh !

9. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

Why is it important if 'we' paid the loan back? would Tyler Smith be a better player if 'we' had paid £1,2, 3,4 or 5m for him ? If we got him on a free, and nothing is free by the way, does that not represent good business ?

10. GEvans76

GEvans76 Well-Known Member

The loan hasn’t been paid back.
    Tyler comes on a free so we will have a loan spot still available which we will use to bring Slater in.

11. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

I think OLM has made it clear the loan hasn't been paid back.... and until we know otherwise HT2 or Hull Daily Fail then it seems it hasn't...

12. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Here's a question.... based on incoming... if everyone was fit what would that midfield be .. Docherty , Honeyman, Moncur plus one other ?

13. Blaknamberblood

Blaknamberblood Well-Known Member

Ahhh my mistake .. the fact that Sheff Utd disclosed Smith had signed for us for an undisclosed fee kind of threw me off course ! And please stop being so overly precious, when a simple misunderstanding has occurred ! Ta !

14. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Because it means we’re still under embargo and can’t bring in more players, other than the one loan we’re bringing in, despite him playing in a position we don’t need.

15. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

Average Attendance so far 21/22 Season
    1 Huddersfield Town 58,806
    2 Sheffield United 28,540
    3 Nottingham Forest 24,500
    4 West Bromwich Albion 23,198
    5 Middlesbrough 21,661
    6 Stoke City 20,207
    7 Bristol City 19,434
    8 Cardiff City 18,830
    9 Coventry City 18,654
    10 Derby County 18,454
    11 Fulham 16,346
    12 Swansea City 15,937
    13 Queens Park Rangers 14,261
    14 Barnsley 13,637
    15 Reading 13,182
    16 Millwall 12,080
    17 Blackpool 11,501
    18 Blackburn Rovers 11,093
    19 Preston North End 10,861
    20 Hull City 10,459
    21 Birmingham City 10,056
    22 Luton Town 9,936
    23 Peterborough United 9,725
    24 AFC Bournemouth 9,221

16. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

No I don't think it necessarily has to mean pumping money in. The first thing I would do if I was running the club is put a big focus on promoting the club and the idea of supporting it, in a positive way. All we've had from the club for years and years now is negativity. We only ever hear from the owners to give us bad news, fight fires or to play the club down. It desperately needs some PR. Someone at the top shouting that we want to make the playoffs and we want to fill the ground and we've got a 5-year plan or any of that stuff. Currently the club don't even talk about it getting more fans in. We only hear from them when they want to defend whatever their latest controversy is. Lately it's the drinks ban. They put out a few lengthy statements to argue against people's flask concerns but it's fundamentally negative and that's always the case. Meanwhile, while they're putting all their (meagre) efforts into arguing with existing fans that they shouldn't be annoyed, they're not even talking to people who don't already come.

I think the biggest barrier to City's support has always been that a large majority of football fans in this City don't even think for a second about watching their local team live. As someone else said, they're happy watching on TV and don't even really get that they might be missing out on something more by going to live football. It's hard to change that, but I don't think we really try at all at the moment or for the last few for years. To be fair even when Adam Pearson was chairman, and he was very good at it, there were still many thousands more fans out there to be won.

Obviously a bit of success would give us a shot in the arm short term, and maybe a takeover might too, but even if either of those happened, it still needs more effort to actually get our crowds back to the levels of 5-10 years ago. I just think the owners lack the ambition and ability to really go for it. If they're not going to go, the best thing they could do is appoint a CEO with the skills and drive that they lack to run the club. Currently the club is just an incredibly small-time outfit run by one small-time man who happened to be born into some money.

brownbagtiger likes this.
  17. Gone For A Walk

-> My views are my own and I am not part of any gang.
    I didn't say they weren't and I didn't say you were.
    -> People peddle as many mistruths as the Allams have and anyone who doesn’t realise that is fooling themselves.
    (Assuming you mean 'mistruths about the Allams'), really? People don't have to make things up, the Allams have proved perfectly capable of lying and BS'ing without the need for people to make additional stuff up!
    -> I will post what I like and if you consider this board to be a playground with childish posts, why did you join in?
    Good for you. I will too. If you read what I put, I said this board is becoming more like a playground by the day. It wasn't so when I first joined years ago.
    Have a good day.

For Ric. I think it's fairly funny. Many others will likely think so too. Don't lose your sense of humour.
    Have a good day.

18. Gone For A Walk

Hard to see how McCann could leave Hudds out?

19. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Everyone agrees that the price of going to City is now more than reasonable and that includes me.

But what is the reason for this?

Answer? The Premier league money has gone and now they need the crowds back. This was always going to be the case and I and others on here predicted this

You know, you should be thanking fans like me who've stayed away, boycotted, because it's us that have forced the Allams to bring those prices down.

If we still had a full house, it would still be ridiculously expensive and that is a FACT!

You should be greatful to us, we've saved people a lot of money.

No need to thank us though, it's what we do <ok>

amberman8 likes this.
  20. Roary's Smelly Head

Roary's Smelly Head Well-Known Member

bloody hell Is ehab doing the huddersfield attendance figures. bloody magic numbers they are