1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer Transfer Thread 21/22

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Steven Toast, May 2, 2021.

1. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

Seems very modest.

2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

3. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

HDM howler shocker!!
    Haven't they heard? We've got a mid-table budget. Keep up Baz.
    :emoticon-0102-bigsm

4. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

Why should Peterborough be in a better financial position than City?

5. Shark Sports

Shark Sports Well-Known Member

A budget and a wage bill are different. As has already been pointed out, there's a lot of clubs with players tied into high-end contracts which means their wage bill is likely to be higher than ours. They can't shift these players. Clucas is a prime example, Stoke are happy to let him leave for nothing, but finding someone to take him on a free on his current wages ain't easy.

Because of this, it means budgets to spend on players at these clubs is low, lower than us. We've got a low wage bill & we get a revenue increase from the Championship TV deal. Most Championship clubs are trying to reduce their wage bill, I suspect there's only 3 which are actively trying to increase it.

SydneyTiger14 likes this.
  6. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

Just ignore them, they really don't grasp or understand it...they just latch on to anything they can spin to their view. People like that are incapable of listening to or understanding different views to theirs. It's their view and opinion or nothing. It's actually quite sad and narrow minded.

SydneyTiger14 and HullPhil like this.
  7. Howdentiger2

They may or may not be....he's just guessing and posting what he knows will get views/clicks. Typical HDM

highpeak tiger likes this.
  8. Gone For A Walk

and Howden "Just ignore them, they really don't grasp or understand it...they just latch on to anything they can spin to their view. People like that are incapable of listening to or understanding different views to theirs. It's their view and opinion or nothing. It's actually quite sad and narrow minded"

No need to get personal!

Wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Listen to the interview again, which I have just done to make sure I'm talking FACTS.
    Cut to 9.50 in if you are short of time (although it's mentioned elsewhere too).
    He isn't talking about a budget for new players. I was going to type 'a budget for transfers', but didn't as he clearly states there's NO funds for transfer fees!
    He clearly states "wage budget for next season", and states "a wage budget roughly mid-table" (with the aim then of "punching above our weight" by 5 or 6 places to reach the playoffs).
    And note, nothing said about 3 mini-leagues or whatever!!
    There is no way on this earth that our "wage budget" will be 'roughly mid-table'.
    The bloke is full of ****.

Listen yourself and then come back and explain to me what exactly I can't grasp #guffaw

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  9. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Out of interest, where do you think we were wage-wise the last time we were in the Championship?

10. pierredelafranchesca

pierredelafranchesca Well-Known Member

I'd have guessed after Grosiki and Bowen went that it'd have been bottom 6

11. Shark Sports

There's no way our wage bill would ever be midtable. You're looking at a £25m wage bill for that, maybe slightly less with covid. That wasn't how I interpreted the interview at all.

I interpreted it as the budget for incomings, what you'd consider being the transfer budget. We've already had a bid accepted for Slater & signed 3 players so there's definitely money for this. We've not had to sell to buy. He did lie about not paying a transfer fee though, but I don't want him to go and say we have money to spend, prices go up if you do that. Even if we only have a very small amount.

I don't really get what's annoyed you so much about it. It's not even pre-season yet and we've got 3 in the door, it would've been 4 if Sheff Utd didn't have a new gaffer coming in. I can't remember a season when we've been so well prepared and we've even had a big player signing a new contract with us.

12. FLG

FLG Well-Known Member

Darragh McAnthony says a lot of things on twitter but I remembered this.

13. Shark Sports

I seem to remember that the wage will was £17m when turnover was £15m. I think that put us in the bottom 3. However, Grant's budget to spend was absolutely tiny. Of that £17m, Stewart was on £18k a week, that's just shy of £1m. Grosicki was on mid 20s for the 7 months he was with us. That's the best part of another million. Throw into the mix Kingsley, Irvine, Toral, any of Dicko's wages Vittesse weren't paying and it really adds up. Then there's Lichaj who we asked to half his wages, so he must have been on near £10k per week. And most of those didn't contribute very much at all, if anything.

I'd hazard a guess that we'd be in the £12-15m range this year. But unlike last time, I bet there are a lot more clubs with wage bills under £20m. I think there were 3/4 last time. I bet it's closer to double figures this season as this is the 2nd year of cost cutting.

14. Top_Tiger

Top_Tiger Well-Known Member

Is Marriott actually that good anyway. His record is pretty dire bar one season.

PUDSEYTIGER2ND and nbetiger like this.
  15. Shark Sports

At this level, he's certainly a gamble but offers something very different to what we have. It's not the end of the world though

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  16. Howdentiger2

Genuinely can't remember as I wasn't as involved in things back then, but I'm going to guess at 12th-15th?

17. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

As Shark has fairly accurately detailed above, we were pretty much at the bottom, same as next season.

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  18. Gone For A Walk

I'm not annoyed about it or anything!!
    I get told I can't grasp this or that and I'm making what Ehab says fit to my agenda (whatever that is?) etc, and yet it's you lot that keep making up your own interpretations of what Ehab actually said (clearly and repeatedly). Bizarre.

Lincoln Tiger likes this.
  19. Red top reader

Red top reader Well-Known Member

They think it’s all over, probably is now !!!!!

6B6B8A84-F09C-4297-AC62-64E1BD073C26.jpeg

20. Howdentiger2

I didn't see that post before my reply so apologies, it's a pretty accurate breakdown I agree, I'd say my guess at 12-15th was probably more accurate to the season before that