1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer transfer thread

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Hudson92, May 21, 2022.

1. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I think the days are gone that when you go up every signing needs to be from the higher league.

The quality in this country is such now, there’s not enough space for it all in the PL and that’s funnelled down. Players go from the Championship to the Prem for massive fees. I won’t be offended at all if we cream a bit off League 2.

There’s players that leap out. If we start at home, I have no doubts about Wright, Cirkin, Huggins, Gooch. Pritch, Stewart, Embo, Neil, Roberts, Batth, and more being good enough for Championship.

Bunch of those for me (Pritch, Roberts, Embo, Neil, LND) may even be better suited to Championship.

I’d be ****ing delighted if we signed Twine. I like McLeary from Wycombe always a handful, there’s the Lincoln lad we mention.

We will be looking both ways at PL reserves, and at League One, as well as Championship players, and that’s all good.

I would, in slight contradiction to this, expect us to be looking higher for CB/CM options though.

In my head players I’ve got in my thoughts, and it’s early.

Twine
    Butland
    Lawrence
    Sanderson

I think Murphy and Fernandez from up the road be top drawer signings but I think we all know we won’t go there. Gayle as well but he’s not gonna replace LND.

2 PL, 2 League One.

2. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Scores for fun at this level but didn't they give him a 6 year deal or something earlier this season?
    I'm excited to see who we bring in on loan tbh. We already attracted Clarke and Doyle from Spuds and City in L1 so hopefully we get some top class youngsters from the big boys.

3. Hudson92

Hudson92 Well-Known Member

Would absolutely love us to go for palmer or delap at city

4. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

I’d love that. Looks a real talent and I think City will be delighted with the minutes Doyle got here, especially at his age.

Hudson92 and Oliver's Army like this.
  5. Oliver's Army

That's the level I was thinking. Lads who have been in and around the bench/first team for those clubs but need proper game time to bring them on.

6. C Montgomery Burns

C Montgomery Burns Well-Known Member

MacFadzean. Best left back at Sunderland last season.

By that I mean best left back at home in Sunderland while we were playing away....

7. Hudson92

Demands of a big club etc would all be valuable experience for them, think all parties would benefit

8. LD19SAFC

9. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Good luck to him - good kind words that will make me a fan of his in the future

Oldsandy and Makemstine Roger like this.
  10. LD19SAFC

Agreed. I think he’ll have a decent career.

gelders pie and Makemstine Roger like this.

11. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Goodluck to the lad, i wish him the best in his career.
    He's not for us though.

12. Hudson92

Agreed I liked him but he didn’t hit the heights I expected, think i probably expected too much from him coming from Bayern, think he’s good enough but rather we developed our own in Patto

13. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

I think evolution rather than revolution is more important this summer than ever. The condensed season next year with the season starting a week earlier is going to make it more important to hit the ground running and with the disruption caused by a winter world cup, it could be useful to have a squad that is largely familiar with each other and our tactical approach so they slip straight back into a rhythm after the winter break.

In addition to that, I think we already have a good core in Wright, Baath, Evans, Pritchard and Stewart who I think will be comfortable starters at that level. Then we have youngsters who we want to develop in Neil, Embleton, Cirkin, Patterson, Huggins and Matete so we don't want to sign too many players in front of them that may harm that. Finally, we have players who are good characters and versatile options in Gooch and O'Nien.

Personally, I'd take up our option on Roberts, sign Broadhead and bring back Clarke on another loan as well.

That's 16 players for the squad already (with very low outlay), meaning we can pay for quality rather than quantity. Here's what I'd like:

An experienced goalkeeper with an eye on a coaching career that Patterson can learn from and provide a bit of competition - Dream signing is Ben Foster but unlikely.
    A first choice Right back is probably the main focus in defence for me. Loan out Hume and allow Huggins to compete/cover both full back spots.
    Another central defender, ideally with a bit of pace - Dream signing is Dion Sanderson.
    Another addition to the midfield, someone with experience who can help to control a game - Dream signing is Conor Hourihane
    A forward who is versatile and can play off the wing if needed. We need someone who can play up front but it's a challenge to sign someone of Championship quality who will sit behind Stewart and possibly Broadhead. Scully, Twine or Andy Weimann would be good options here, though I don't know if the latter 2 have realistic price tags.

14. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

like your picks a lot Nads also there i think Patto could be a star in the making, and i was very impressed with the attitude and physicality of Matete another one in the making, my problem is who do we have for centre forward cos if Stewart gets injured we may need 2

Oldsandy, Robertson and Nads like this.
  15. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

good post mate nice read

Flash Gordon likes this.
  16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sunderland line up fresh agreement with 25-year-old as Middlesbrough, Sheffield United, QPR and Rangers circle

As if he would be interested in any of those. He'll stay

17. Oliver's Army

Who you on about mate? Stewart?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  18. Mackem-Tiz

Mackem-Tiz Well-Known Member

Realistically I would love us to sign Twine and Dion Sanderson.

19. Mackem-Tiz

And Ben Foster :emoticon-0148-yes:

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  20. Mackem-Tiz

Daft rumours about Eddie Hearn buying the 2 dimwits out