1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

2. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Just goes to show what our owners and our board are all about......Profit first the stadium lease second and the team third.....We dont have a strong defence and that is worrying.....

3. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Agree Dai.

Most people could see we needed to sign at least a RB & a CB - the latter position especially if we are going to play 3 CBs ......

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  4. When Swans are flying

When Swans are flying Well-Known Member

31 odd million profit from transfers in this window, highest in the Premier of course. SSN were reporting only 4 teams were in profit, we were the top club!! Wenger 2nd..

5. Libertyswan

Libertyswan Well-Known Member

Missed out on Arias due to the £12 mill price tag and the Barnsley full back we then went for on loan as the necessary paper work wasn't completed in time....that is so stupid as we are really stretched with little cover on either wings....can only imagine how frustrated our manager is feeling over this botch up let alone the fans.

6. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Missing out on Arias is scandalous, 12m was a decent price in my book. Then at last minute to miss out on Yandom is just plain incompetence, why leave these things to last minute. If we were going to go for him, that deal should have been underway from lunch time, not at last knockins.

7. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Would have liked another RB but if Clement is comfortable so am I . Pretty happy with the summer transfer window overall . We probably spent over 50 million .
    Just because you make money doesn't mean you should spent it all , especially a smaller club . The Bony , Ayew , Clucas and possibly Abraham attack ( I think we might see two up front at some time ) will be a force to be reckoned with IMO . Can't see us playing to many games with 5 at the back from here .

London_Jack likes this.
  8. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Fully agree <ok>

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  9. Bob the slob

Bob the slob Well-Known Member

As well as getting rid of our left back cover (tbf a very decent player) we have also given Barrow and Monero the heave-ho. While I accept the were never going to be starter every game , the presence of both / either widened the pitch and gave us speed.
    Neither Olsson nor Naughton are good enough in the position to be considered wing backs.
    I am expecting some very narrow play this season.
    As a group of individuals we have a weaker squad, hopefully Clement can turn them into a better team.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  10. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

I expect loads of defending this season...

11. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

I think we will score more this season than last

When Swans are flying likes this.
  12. When Swans are flying

When Swans are flying Well-Known Member

I think we will too!!! Clement will be the difference this season. He's had a close season to get his thoughts & methods across and apart from the 'Parting of the Red Sea episode' (maybe black 'n' white sea actually) against Man U, we've been fairly organised. Plus with the added 'bite' from the transfer window (Tammy, Bony), I think we'll be more dynamic in attack. Our forward play has been very predicable for a long time & I think Clement will have spent a long time thinking of how he could address this & the 3 new signings, Bony, Tammy & Renato, could be some combination...

Think Mesa will turn out fine & with Clucas, Carroll & Fer, we'll have a decent midfield to build some momentum.

Also, I'm not sure if he was really that fussed with Gylfi staying at the club, too. Looks like he always wanted to get this Renato in. Think over the next month or so, we might really start to see how he wants us to be set up & although we didn't strengthen our defence at all. I'm hoping/thinking, we'll get by with 3 at the back, for the time being. Just hope we don't suffer any more serious injuries before January.

Can't wait to see this Sanches too. Clement identified this player as someone 'who can pull the strings', I think. Fair do's, he's got his man. Hoping we'll have some devastating play from this lad...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  13. Bob the slob

Unless our defence improves significantly we're in it again this season.
    A lot is being made of getting a lot more goals but it's defence that decides our position.
    Last season we scored 3 more than the season before and only 1 less than two season ago she we finished 8th

Season .....pos .. GF .. GA
    16/17..........15 .... 45 .. 71 ... - 16
    15/16..........12 .... 42 .. 52 ... - 10
    14/15........... 8 .... 46 .. 49 .... - 3
    13/14 ........ 12 .... 54 .. 54 ...... 0
    12/13 .... ..... 9 .... 47 .. 51 ..... -4
    11/12 ........ 11 .... 44 .. 51 ...... -7

average GF = 46.3 goals a season: last season 1 goal down
    average GA = 54.6 goals a season: last season 16 goals down

Which is why I can get my head around our defence transfers this summer.

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  14. Libertyswan

Barrow had to go as his attitude was causing disquiet amongst the players, Monk tried to utilise him on loan at Leeds but the fact that he was hardly used speaks volumes. Anyone who was at White Hart Lane last season & saw the lack of effort that Montero showed that day plus the numerous times he was unavailable through injury or other reasons will understand why our South American was deemed surplus to requirements.

Do feel that we should have replaced both with at least one new winger to give Clement more options but guess he has decided that Narsingh & Ayew (who can operate as a winger) will be adequate.

seabreeze and ValleyGraduate12 like this.
  15. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

We still have Routs and Dyer too, both of whom are still better than Barrow and Montero.

16. Bob the slob

I wholly agree about Montero and have always considered his occasional 5 minutes of magic a luxury we can't afford.
    Hadn't heard Mo was a problem!
    Ayew, Narsingh, Routs (these days) can play wide but don't have the speed or guile to be wingers. Who knows what Dyer will be like when fit, having hardly played for two seasons?

17. Libertyswan

Sadly both are well past their best, they've given us good years of service but time catches up with us all particularly speedy wingers. In the case of Wayne he has become a liability & frustrates many for his inability to keep possession. Nathan was reliant on his turn of pace to beat full backs & on occasions provide chances for strikers but even before he went on his sabbatical to Leicester he was struggling to find his form. To rely on these two this season even as back up would be pure folly.

18. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

HJ on the Swans website today feels we've had a good transfer window and in some respects he's right. He also said we're in a position to strengthen in January if needed.. He also said that you can get better deals in January an opinion that many pundits seem to agree with. Reading between the lines I suspect that someone like Arias may be on his mind. The downside is that if we have injuries this could affect our results until then which means we'll be in another battle to get clear of the bottom places.

seabreeze and Bob the slob like this.
  19. Bob the slob

Jenkins is talking out of his proverbial when he says we can strengthen in January - why the **** didn't we strengthen this summer and give players a decent pre-season? Has he learned nothing from the last four summers?
    The pundits believe it was 'good' because they consider us Welsh & **** and having loan players like Sanches and Abraham is beyond their comprehension.
    In their world we don't belong in the EPL and we certainly shouldn't be attracting 'big name' players to little, relegation favourites, Swansea.

We have brought in potential.
    What if
    Wilf plays as he has for the last 2 seasons, Sanches since the Euros,
    solid Clucas shows he's a relegation level midfielder,
    Rocky (like Baston, Eder, Alvaro) is still finding life in Wales too much (reading his comments about moving does not fill me with optimism),
    and Abraham, like many, struggles to step up?
    Unlikely all will happen but by no means impossible.

Our struggling defence has needed improving for some time so why that wasn't a priority at the start of the summer beggars belief. To weaken it further is insane.

20. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I am sorry we have been pathetic again in the window, I am not disappointed with what we have signed. But the squad depth is zero and still to many dead weight players here having money for **** all. Mind you is anyone surprised at what we do each transfer window. We are never really any good in them anyway.

we may get some better deals in January, what a risk to take, an injury to Olson and to Naughton at the same time early in the season and we would be up **** creek and could end up down by January. I actually don't think we will, but the pure blarney and bollox coming from HJ makes me sick. I still wish he and the Yanks would **** right off out of our club.