1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sunday Opinion

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Nov 22, 2020.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

2 transfer dilemmas facing Dean Holden at Bristol City as January looms
    https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/2...dean-holden-at-bristol-city-as-january-looms/

Bristol City verdict: Robins' spirit helps steal win against resurgent Derby County
    Covid can't keep City down as Dean Holden's side make it three wins in a row.
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport...ts/bristol-city-verdict-robins-spirit-4725325

'I've never seen that' - Derby County coach baffled by big decision in defeat by Bristol City
    Liam Rosenior said the Rams should have been awarded a penalty late in the first half of the 1-0 defeat at Ashton Gate
    https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ive-never-seen-that-derby-4725057

'Delicious' - Bristol City player ratings after Robins grab three points off Derby County
    Our City reporter's take from Ashton Gate.
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport...delicious-bristol-city-player-ratings-4724632

What a great win, still buzzing from it, well is it time to move £7K Massengo on? Should Fammy stay,? Has the fabric and spirit of our team improved since the sacking? Was that Patto inccident a penalty? Do you agree with these ratings, was Bently, CoD and Nahki that poor?

You say.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  2. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I haven't seen yet what most say about Da Silva, he wasn't worth a 7. He was skinned more than once in the 2nd half. I think Rene Gilmartin and Da Silva need to get a room.
    O'Dowda was worse than a 5.
    Nagy was far better than a 6, an 8 for me.
    Vyner was a definite 8 but still lost his man twice on corners.

However I'd give them all a 10 for effort in a fantastic team display.

3. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

How the ****, Brunt got 7 is beyond me when Nagy got 6

4. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Semenyo, Vyner and Nagy were our best players, a toss up between the 3 for Motm, To give Nagy 6 is beyond me, as for giving Brunt 7, he was awful, again.

Redprintt likes this.
  5. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I think we should certainly move Massengo on during the jan transfer window and I believe we wasted all the money spent on this young man and our ROI is likely to be zero. Diedhou is to me not the answer to our scoring and shots on target issue and perhaps it's time for him to move to pastures new but having said that I don't want to waste the potential five bob we would get in transfer fees for the two on yet another non producer. Dean needs time to rid himself of the dross at the Gate before he can bring together the players needed to improve our challenge to rise up the table with meaning. I wonder how many times he muttered under his breath during his time as assistant to Lee that he felt the team were not getting true diligence in selections and tactics? We have wasted the last few seasons supposedly trying to get it right when the supporters were screaming from the rooftops that all they wanted was consistency, both in choices and tactics, from our coach which generally fell on deaf ears. Will things change under Dean or will he become another victim of whatever malaise has befallen previous hopefuls?

I hope not and perhaps if we are able to keep our head above seventh place for a good part of this season the crowds (when they return) will finally get a real up front and personal chance to welcome our new leader and get fully behind the man and his team. You know you want it.

6. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I haven't seen much of Massengo but after watching Bakinson I'm amazed Bakinson didn't get a chance under Junior.
    Anyway who's to say Massengo might be a different player playing in the current set up. Nagy certainly is another who didn't pull up trees under Junior but he's done well, especially yesterday, since Bakinson's migraine at Huddersfield.
    Semenyo is a real handful this season and another who seems to have come from nowhere.
    I'm happy to see Massengo stay and give it a go with Holden. Let's see where it takes him till the day, if it ever comes, we see Williams and Walsh fit to play.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  7. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Anybody who thinks we should be transferring Massengo out must be a sandwich short of a picnic.

8. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I've never rated Massengo (sorry Loathsneyd), but I also acknowledge the fact that I don't see him in training week in week out, so maybe there's a useful player in there somewhere. I also admit that I hadn't rated Semenyo up to this season, but he's certainly performing better than I'd expected so far and long may it continue.
    Totally agree about Bakinson - How he hadn't featured before (under LJ) is a mystery.
    Nagy was unlucky with his injury last season - which was aggravated by playing for Hungary - I've always rated him, but I don't think he'd fully recovered when LJ started playing him again - either that or he was simply not up to it mentally.
    I see Woodrow is doing well for Barnsley - one we let get away perhaps?

9. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

The likes of Bakinson and Semenyo are ready now for the 1st time, because of their pathway over the last 3 years, each has spent time out on loan in the lower leagues, getting better and more match ready, things they would not have gotten by staying in the reserves and on the bench these past few seasons.
    I think Massengo might benefit from the same, so I would rather loan him in Jan than sell him, as there may be a gem in there when he adapts to the English game better. As for Nagy, he started well lasts season then got injured and never really seemed fully fit for the rest of the season, now he is again, we are seeing what we saw at the start of last season.

Another clear example of LJ and his management team not getting any credit, and everyone jumping to the "why didn't LJ play them" statement.

10. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

How often have you seen Messengo live? To me he is not the finished article, but there is a good player in there. If we let him go it will Bolasie all over again.
    Semenyo I liked him from his first game, he was out of form last season which looked confidence driven. So I’m glad he’s proving to be the player I hoped he would become.
    Both of these are still so young as well.

Supcon72 likes this.

11. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Massengo has only just turned 19, he was thrust into the first team far too early at 18 because of injuries. The likes of Bryan, Reid, Kelly and now Bakinson were not playing regular Championship football at that age. It's far too early for anyone to write him off

Supcon72 likes this.
  12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Dean Holden is getting so much right and you can't help but like him - Bristol City fan view
    The head coach struck all the right chords at the weekend in 1-0 win over Derby County.
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dean-holden-getting-much-right-4726688

This guy impresses me, the more I see,hear and read about the fella I like him, he is straight, honest, basic, no waffle and he likes to keep it simple, LJ used to speak and bore the arse off of me with his excuses, complications, explanations and expressions of love for our not his club.

I am sure the Holden phylosophy has been taken fully on board by the players, the spirit, guts and positive hard work shown proves this, I wanted Chris Hughton to be manager,thank god they didn't take any notice of me, LJ is a distant memory, the team and players are doing well, let's hope the progress made continues.

13. bcfcredandwhite

A few times last season when we were allowed to attend matches. He looked lightweight and wasteful to me - but I acknowledge that I'm no football manager and both LJ and DH rate him highly enough to play him in the side.
    I saw Semenyo a few times too - I think the first time I saw him, his contribution to the cause was to get himself sent off - against Derby I seem to remember.....?
    Strangely enough I always rated Bolassie and could never understand why we didn't play him on the left, with Albert on the right - but for some reason the manager at the time (Delboy?) would never play them at the same time… it's a funny old game!

14. Supcon72

I agree with you on Semenyo, I always love seeing our academy players in the starting 11. He's getting noticed, so I hope this doesn't make him our next big 'saleable asset'....

15. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I would love some more detail about the Walsh and Williams injuries, I recall one of them was possibly a thigh injury and little else. Williams was apparently training on grass at the end of September, then they were both going to be 'ready' after the last international break and now nothing again, it truly is a mystery.

16. Supcon72

It's odd how we still have these runs of great results, followed by runs of poor results - already 4 wins on the bounce, followed by 5 without a win, and now 3 wins on the bounce again? It characterised LJ's tenure, and already seems to be a pattern with DH, maybe it's more prevalent at other clubs in the Championship as well, but we don't seem to win one, lose or draw one, then win again, it always seems to be in batches...

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  17. bcfcredandwhite

Another thing I've noticed is that we seem to get better results when our team selection has been forced by injuries/illnesses/bans!!!

Supcon72 likes this.
  18. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

good job he was where he was Saturday!

Not being negative but, as you know love maths and stats! over the past seasons i have often put on here a few to endeavour the reasoning behind [possibly ] where we were at.
    In a nutshell it is who we played and where.. then a the odd thing like absent players = settled team etc

this season [building up a base of facts ] the simplicity is , we have lost in the bad run v ............Norwich AFC Bourne Midds drawn Swansea that's 4 of the 7 teams in the top 8 also 11 of the 13 pts we have dropped, it started against Barnsley so we are not as good as the top teams yet? But doing well against bottom teams which in past years we have not been so good at.
    Watford and Reading next [ Stoke were poor when we played them ]

19. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Under LJ the unbeaten streaks were longer and no win streaks were longer.

So far.

20. Supcon72

A balanced view as usual from the haters<doh>

realred1952 likes this.