1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland AFC v Sheffield Wednesday – Friday 6th May 2022 - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, May 3, 2022.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed May 6, 2022.
  1. Home win

83.3%
  2. Away win

7.6%
  3. Draw

9.1%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland host Sheffield Wednesday in the Skybet League One Play-off Semi-Final first leg.
    SAFCvSWFC.jpg
    (Thanks to RJXMEDIA)
    Last time out Sunderland beat Morecambe and Wednesday beat Portsmouth.
    The Black Cats secured 5th place in League One with a 1-0 away win at Morecambe. Nathan Broadhead scored to secure the 3 points but was taken off after 25 minutes due to injury.
    Alex Neil may need to make changes with Winchester not available and Broadhead looking doubtful, but Dennis Cirkin and Aiden McGeady could be close to a first team return. Leon Dajaku is expected to return from Germany this week. Callum Doyle missed out at the weekend with Alex Neil going for experience in defence.
    Darren Moore has a few injury concerns with Barry Bannan the Owls skipper taken off in the 82nd minute against Portsmouth after suffering a muscle injury.
    “We always give it 24 or 48 hours and then you get more of a clear picture. That’s what I want to do over the next couple of days to see how he is.”
    Alex Neil:
    “I'm really pleased with what the players have done. That's one in fifteen that we've lost, I think, and that one still bugs me by the way. We've cleared the first hurdle now, we're in the play-offs, and now there's work to do.
    “It was a tough game, scrappy in parts. Our goal was excellent and I thought that our transitions we should have made better use of, but it's understandable when you consider what's at stake. They are fighting for their lives as well. The simple fact is that we got the job done, and really I thought that we did it with comfort. I don't think Patto has had a save to make in the end. If you look at their home record, their goal average is -1. Away from home it's -29, so that shows that this was going to be a difficult game. They've beaten Oxford here, and they've drawn with Ipswich and Bolton. They make it difficult for teams here so it is a good win for us. We'll rest tomorrow and then we'll get started (preparing for Sheffield Wednesday). I'll enjoy the moment but I won't get carried away. It is what it is, and now I need to prep and plan. That's my focus now, no time to celebrate.... I might have a beer with my dinner tonight, maybe."
    Darren Moore:
    “It was all about getting the job done today. We knew that we had a strong opposition. Once we settled down after the first 10 minutes - some of our passing and movement was a little erratic which you could understand with the magnitude of the game - we got into our rhythm and we played some good stuff. Massive, massive credit to the players. The strength of character to go a goal down and not lose sight of the process. They kept to the game plan, settled down and we could see clear pictures and we could see the areas that we wanted to exploit. I said credit to the players at half time. Everyone to a man stuck together and we came through a very difficult test.
    The first phase was to get in the top six. We are now in the play-offs and we have got two massive games coming up against Sunderland. They will be two great games and we are focused on them. It will be a stern test. Alex Neil has done a great job with Sunderland. They are a good team and a big club. Both teams will go into the tie full of confidence and in good form. It will be a good game."
    form.GIF
    Match Appointments:

Referee: Matthew Donohue
    Assistant Referees: Philip Dermott, Paul Hodskinson
    Fourth Official: Dean Whitestone

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    (3-5-2) Patterson; Cirkin, Batth, Wright; Roberts, O’Nien, Evans, Embleton, Gooch; Pritchard, Stewart.
    Team.gif

Subs: Hoffmann, Doyle, Xhemajli, Matete, Neil, Clarke, McGeady
    Injured: Dajaku, Winchester, Willis, Huggins.

Sheffield Wednesday: (3-5-2) Peacock-Farrell, Hunt, Storey, Hutchinson, Palmer, Johnson, Byers, Luongo, Bannan, Berahino, Gregory
    Subs: Gibson, Windass, Paterson, Dele-Bashiru, Dunkley, Wildsmith, Mendez-Laing
    Injured: Iorfa, Brennan, John-Jules

Betting Odds:
    Sunderland
    8/5 Sheff Wed 17/10 Draw 21/10

My two pence:
    A good result but again not a great football game, and hopefully Alex can calm a few people down and get them playing more like the style we did against Cambridge. Another 5-0 win would set us up nicely, but I think it’s going to be a lot closer game this time round.

I’m going for a 2-0 home win.

No Live Stream as it’s Live – On SKY

Ha’way the Lads

2. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Great thread RTB and agree with your prediction...

Ha’way the Lads

Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.
  3. Hettonista

Hettonista Well-Known Member

Great thread as ever RTB, thanks mate! Be interesting to see what team gets put out, hopefully huge crowd can stay onside throughout and we can take a good lead South on Monday. This ref any good?

Robertson and RTB like this.
  4. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Most of his games have been in the Championship
    - that doesn't mean he's any good though <laugh>
    https://www.whoscored.com/Referees/1104/Show/Matt-Donohue

Makemstine Roger and Robertson like this.
  5. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

Class thread as per usual. 2-1 win followed by a 1-0 away win

RTB likes this.
  6. Hettonista

Hettonista Well-Known Member

Thanks mate, hopefully less of an issue given opposition and on Sky I suppose. It's in our hands, won't be easy but very doable. That'll do for me

7. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Brilliant as usual RTB!!! I'm looking at this as two games not one. I think under Neil we have showed we can go all the way and score winners in the 96th minute. So going on this basis we will score at the death in Sheffield to go through. Maybe even 1 - 0 (Stewart) over the two legs to us. It's going to be tense, cagey with neither team not giving anything away. Both teams frightened of making mistakes. Hope I'm wrong and we blast them out the water in the first leg with a 5 - 0 win but can't see it. Fate and destiny now......HTL!!!!!!!

8. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Brilliant as usual @RTB.

Looking close to a full house under the lights, atmosphere should be electric and as always I'd love a fast start and an early goal or 2.

Like the team you have put out, wouldn't be disappointed if we started that way, but we have good options on the bench and plenty of ability.

Heart wants a dominant performance and to play them off the park with a comfortable 2 or 3 nil win, head says its going to be tight, cagey and to take a 1 nil victory

9. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

I think it’ll be a tough game and 0-0 really wouldn’t surprise. Sheff Wed would happily take a draw back to their place… I hope we go for it from the off.

Makemstine Roger, RTB and LAMackem like this.
  10. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Great thread RTB, play to our strengths and we'll have enough to progress to the final.
    Nerves will play a big part over this weekend and whoever deals with theirs the best will prevail, just hope it's us. HTL

11. vinkel

vinkel Well-Known Member

Sky bet odds are Sunderland 6/4 Sheff 17/10 pretty close.

12. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

<applause> Thanks RTB, only 2 more to go after this then you can have break.

If Broadhead is injured, that is not helpful and by and large I would go for you team. Neil seems to like Clarke rather than Roberts, but who knows.

We cannot to lose this game, a draw still leaves it all to play for... but we will want at least a 2 goal lead.

2 leg games first one at home are hard.... we can do it i believe...will not be easy

RTB and LAMackem like this.
  13. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

Hoping for a clean sheet, then I think we’ll be fine. 2-0 would be awesome!!

Bart

RTB and LAMackem like this.
  14. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Thanks again RTB for a superb scene setter, with the best view of the SoL I can remember, hope these final three, tense games will outshine even that shot and do justice to your splendid efforts, past, present and future OaU

15. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Can’t wait. I will be in Railway Club from around half three onwards on Friday making sure my throat is well lubricated.

16. Billy Batts

Billy Batts Well-Known Member

Bricking it already.

Robertson, SAFCDRUM and RTB like this.
  17. Moanjam

Moanjam Well-Known Member

HWTL ⚪⚪

18. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

I’m nervous like. Fear Neil will go cautious like he did against Rotherham (H) and Plymouth (A).

Billy Batts and RTB like this.
  19. malagamackem

malagamackem Well-Known Member

Great thread RTB

Im bricking it man

2-1 to the lads

Hawaaaaaaaay!!

20. Wibble

Wibble Well-Known Member

Looks like it could be 45k crowd the way things are going