1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland AFC v West Bromwich Albion – Monday 12th December 2022 - KO 20:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Dec 9, 2022.

?

Your prediction:

Poll closed Dec 12, 2022.
  1. Home win

74.2%
  2. Away win

3.0%
  3. Draw

22.7%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

SAFCvWBA.GIF
    Sunderland welcome West Brom to the Stadium of Light in the Championship.
    Last time out Sunderland beat Millwall and West Brom beat Stoke.
    Tony Mowbray is close to having a fully fit squad to chose from with the only injury concern being Eduard Michut and he is back in training. Bailey Wright and Jewison Bennette returned from the World Cup in Qatar and trained on Thursday. Ross Stewart is expected to feature in the matchday squad.Dan Ballard will not be available for this game but could play in the U21 game next week.
    Following a frustrating start to the campaign which saw them dwindling in the relegation places, West Bromwich Albion are now looking to maintain a solid path in their climb up the table. Currently 21st, Head Coach Corberan, who guided Huddersfield Town to the Play-Off final last season, has won each of Albion’s last three games.
    With one promotion and two relegations in the past five years, Albion are looking to once again become the established Premier League club they were for eight seasons between 2010 and 2018. Last appearing in the top flight in 2020-21, the Baggies finished 10th in the Championship last season.

Tony Mowbray:
    “We are expecting a really tough game, they’re a team with an identity that's how they play. They’re a very experienced, good, technical football side and I'm sure they will give us some problems on the day but I’m sure we will give them some problems as well.”
    “I think there’s a chance, he’s (Ross Stewart) been playing matches on the training ground and he scored a really, really good goal to be honest with you. But it was freezing cold and it wasn't an ideal game but it was good for his confidence to be back playing in an XI v XI football match. We’ll see how he trains the rest of the week. He was cooling down today with some of the lads that played that game but he’ll train in the days before the game at the weekend.”
    “I think at a minimum he will make the bench as long as he feels strong and confident because when players have been out for a while it’s not just the manager's decision if he is ready. I have to make sure that he feels confident in his body and that he’s ready to impact the game. How’s he been? Always positive and a really good character around the building. I think he’s earned all the respect of all the team through what he’s achieved during his time at the club.”
    Carlos Corberán Vallet:
    “I was watching a team today which looked very solid and played with a lot of personality. I have to give a lot of credit to players because they all showed so much commitment throughout the game.
    “Today was a really important one for us because we had the opportunity to win three consecutive matches, something which we haven’t done yet this season.
    “It was also a special game because we understood the situation in terms of having the next month without a match, so we knew how crucial three points would be.
    “We played for 90 minutes with a high level of determination, concentration and energy. We tried to not waste a single moment of the game and I’m really pleased we have performed well and won three more points.
    “It’s important to manage the different situations in attack and defence. We know we have players with really good deliveries on them and players who can attack set-pieces really well.
    Form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    JAMES LININGTON
    Assistant Referees: Daniel Leach & Mark Stevens
    Fourth Official: Tom Nield

Team Lineups:
    Sunderland AFC:
    (3-4-3) Patterson, O'Nien, Batth, Alese, Gooch, Neil, Evans, Pritchard, Clarke, Amad, Simms
    Team.GIF
    Subs: Bass, Huggins, Cirkin, Embleton, Bennette, Roberts, Stewart
    Injured: Ballard, Michut

West Brom: (4-2-3-1) Palmer, Furlong, Bartley, O'Shea, Townsend, Yokuslu, Molumby, Wallace, Swift, Phillips, Thomas-Asante
    Subs: Button, Rogic, Livermore, Diangana, Dike, Pieters, Gardner-Hickman
    Injured:Bryan

Betting Odds:
    Sunderland
    2/1 West Brom 7/5 Draw 9/4

Prutton Predicts: 2-0

My two pence:
    Another game on Sky but not until Monday night. We have done well under floodlights this season so hopefully we can put in a performance similar to the way we finished against Millwall.
    I’m going for a 2-0 win

Live Stream:
    Live on Sky Sports Football
    https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/live-video
    Due to EFL broadcast restrictions, SAFSee streaming will only be available to overseas-based supporters. Audio commentary will be available to all supporters.

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
  2. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Great informative thread as always @RTB.

Line up is anyone's guess at the back, they are all playing well and we can't fit them all in.

Weather forecast is for -2 at kick off, thats going to be a challenge.

3-0 to the lads, Simms, Amad, Alese

RTB likes this.
  3. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

<applause> RTB

Gone for a win, no surprise there.

You have 09 as LB, hmm perhaps Cirkin instead.

Will need two good halves to win

LAMackem, Chunksafc and RTB like this.
  4. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

2-0 HAWAYYYYYYYY

Bart

LAMackem, Chunksafc and RTB like this.
  5. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Recent history shows tight games against these and a draw wouldn't be a surprise, however can we win three on the bounce for once for what feels an age.
    Great thread again RTB, could LND come off the bench and grab all three points.HTL.

6. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

7. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Made some canny progress, haven’t we?! <laugh>

RTB, Flash Gordon and Smug in Boots like this.
  8. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Subs against West Brom, in the PL under Moyes <doh>

Borini
    Simões Domingues
    Love
    Robson
    Anichebe
    Robson
    Embleton

LD19SAFC likes this.
  9. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

I've just been sick in my mouth.

RTB and Smug in Boots like this.
  10. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Love a good night match, we need to start well against these, 3 wins on the trot by them isn't to be sniffed at while we have the potential to match that with a win.

What was the problem with Cirkin only being on the bench against Milwall? Didn't read anything about an injury, hopefully he is fit.

2-1 home win

C19RK73 and RTB like this.

11. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

He was injured before the world cup break, maybe Tony Mowbray didn't want to risk him but he's fit now so he could start. I've just put out the team who started last week - with almost a full squad there are a lot of tough decisions to make.
    The bench is strong and that's without Wright, Matete, Ba, Hume, Michut & Ballard

12. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Been a good week for sport, and match Day threads <applause> lets start next week off in the best possible way with a win for the lads under lights, its not an easy fixture by any means but we are a test for any team in this division , and we have yet to peak. OaU

13. Young Ted

Young Ted Well-Known Member

Great thread as always I’m away and missing another one but hopefully catch it on Tv going for a solid 2-0 to the lads get well wrapped up all and enjoy COME ON

Chunksafc likes this.
  14. malagamackem

malagamackem Well-Known Member

Great thread RTB

Im reasonably confident with this one. I think 2-0. Simms and Stewart in the last 10 minutes with a penalty

Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.
  15. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Results today mean that West Brom drop into the bottom 3.
    A win on Monday could move us into a play-off spot..
    Edit:
    Watford drew with Hull.
    So we would be in 7th
    - if we win.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  16. Washysafc

Washysafc Well-Known Member

I will be happy with a repeat of the 1977 result.

Todays results have been kind to us, as it stands we could be n the play off sports if we win this one, I know that means Hull need to beat Watford and that is unlikely and Burnley not lose to QPR which is likely, so I would expect to be 7th on Monday.

RTB and clockstander like this.
  17. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Not the case if Watford avoid defeat at home to Hull tomorrow…

RTB likes this.
  18. Prehab26

Prehab26 Well-Known Member

Going to be Baltic like.

19. Washysafc

Washysafc Well-Known Member

Off to buy some thermal leggings. Aka, longjohns.

Chunksafc likes this.
  20. Prehab26

Prehab26 Well-Known Member

Refuse to stoop that low ha. Normally don't feel the cold that much but it's properly changed in the last week. Be minus in that stadium I would imagine.