1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland game

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

a complete contrast to the previous performance , thought the midfield and defence did very well but some inconsistent clearences from the defence did create our own problems , i thought that was Edwards best game of the season, Norburn and whalley were very good. love struggled against a tricky and pacey number 13.
    a well taken goal by cummings ball on the ground and surgical shoot to the far corner, town did actually try to keep the ball on the ground in the last third this game. we had a bit more varity in attack. we forced a save from a free kick but cant recal who took it.

i dont remember there keeper making a save in the second half . rather suprised to see Cummings coming off so early in the second half. not a fan of sitting deep and inviting pressuer, all credit to the defence for some resilent defending but at times it looked a bit like the alamo

our goal lead a charmed life in the second minute a playter split the center backs but missed,i cant remmember when but a low cross was whipped in and sliding player missed to get contact, the worst miss was when there number 19 was free on the far corner of the box and hit the ball over the bar , they also hit the post been hit twice, i think O'Leary got his fingers to it to tip it over the bar.
    Sunderland fans may feel disapointed that they did not at least get a point.

what Subdeland did well in the first half was give town no time on the ball and often had a cluster of players around a town player with the ball.

the best i was hoping for was a draw so this was a plesently unexpected win with an improved performance.

unfortently both udoh and giles out with injuries

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  2. Zenfootball2

whilst i belive Cummings did not have a pre season before joining us ,with town nearly three months in to the season you would expect him to be fit enough to last 90 minutes by now ? unless the substitution was tactical .

3. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

Perhaps he has some sort of underlying problem and it is hard for a player of his size playing alone upfront. Overall a very strong performance with the back three immense. Laurent MOTM for me - the slightly deeper role suited him well and the new formation worked better than 3-5-2. Yes we rode our luck a bit but we worked much harder than we did on Tuesday and ultimately you get what you deserve.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  4. Zenfootball2

playing the lone forward is very physically demanding and we looked a different team with reagrds to work rate and distribution. if we are to stay a midtable team then that is way we are going to have to play every game. we are now going to be playing teams from the top half of the table for the next few matches.
    with this formation we seem to have more options i hope he sticks with it ..

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  5. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

Yes Zen, the next three games look difficult but sometimes Ricketts teams seem to do better against the stronger teams. Wycombe are the surprise package this season and we will do well to get a point there.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  6. Zenfootball2

all credit to Wcombe they seem to have the right formula, i will be happy to get a point away from home.