1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Bradford City – Tuesday 9th November 2021 - KO 19:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Nov 8, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Nov 9, 2021.
  1. Home win

58.3%
  2. Away win

10.4%
  3. Draw - Safc win on penalties

8.3%
  4. Draw Bcfc win on penalties

2.1%
  5. Meh - PJT

20.8%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland welcome Bradford City in the Papa John’s EFL Trophy
    SAFCvBCFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland lost to Mansfield and Bradford drew with Exeter.

The Black Cats lost at home to Mansfield in the FA cup for the second successive year. Another below par performance and another defensive error resulted in a third consecutive defeat for Lee Johnson’s team.
    Sunderland have already qualified for the next round of the EFL Trophy.
    Sam Nombe scored a late equaliser to earn Exeter a first round FA Cup replay after a draw at Valley Parade in a match where Bradford enjoyed most of the play before striker Theo Robinson deservedly put them in front in the 28th minute.
    Lee Johnson:
    "Their team worked harder than us," said Johnson.
    "As a coach, you want to see your personality reflected out there on the pitch. I'd like to think that my personality is tenacious, with a will-to-win, and a bright, footballing mindset.
    "I could have made those changes after 20 minutes, to be honest with you. I was thinking about it, I really was. In the first half, I thought that was a poor attitude and we were low on confidence.
    "The second half I was OK with - it wasn't great, don't get me wrong, but there was nobody hiding like there was in the first half. What you can't do, playing for a club like this, is hide."
    "You have to try and create a vibe that is at least enthusiastic and send the crowd home happy. We've lost games - Burton away, for example - where we played with an identity and with a panache, but we just ran out of time."
    "Today though, things didn't fall for us such as when Dan Neil hit the underside of the crossbar, and overall you have to say that Mansfield deserved it. Our technical performance was so poor today, and you can't use the pitch or the wind as an excuse. Both teams are playing in the same conditions."
    "It's clear that we are a bit devoid of confidence right now.
    "If you rewind seven or eight games when we were playing compact and popping it round each other and flowing over the ground, that just wasn't there (today). I've got a really big job, I've realised, in terms of maintaining those confidence levels. It's the biggest challenge in football today.
    "We have to show more enthusiasm, identity, pride in what we're doing.

Form.GIF
    Group_Table.GIF

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    Carney, Dyce, Younger, Almond, Xhemajli, Richardson, Wearne, Pritchard, Taylor, Dajaku, Harris.
    Subs: Burge, Taylor, Kachosa, Newall, Alves, Wilding, Kimpioka.
    Injured: Willis, Huggins, Hume.

Bradford City: O'Donnell, O'Connor, Songo'o, Canavan, Threlkeld, Sutton, Watt, Foulds, Gilliead, Robinson, Vernam.
    Subs: Cooke, Hornby, Kelleher, Evans, Angol, Staunton, Cousin-Dawson, Scales.
    Injured: tbc

Betting Odds:
    Sunderland 8
    /13 Bradford 15/4 Draw 11/4

My two pence:
    Another bad result, similar to the Sheffield Wednesday game in that we started slowly, sloppy defending then dominated possession, created chances but couldn't score and we lost out.
    This game should be all about giving the youngsters a chance to show the first teamers how it's done.

I’m going for a 2-0 home win.

Live Stream

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/live-video

Ha’way the Lads

Nig, Nacho, C19RK73 and 15 others like this.
  2. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Why the **** did I just buy a ticket for this? Glutton for punishment me.....

3. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Genuinely believe we’ll get beat, again.

Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.
  4. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Got to hope some of the fringe players take this as an opportunity to show what they can do.

5. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Bradford will be putting out a scratch side too so this should be an opportunity to get a win under our belts. Am assuming the international players won't be available so I'd go:

Hoffmann
    Richardson Xhemajli Wright Dyce
    Sohna O'Nien
    Gooch Pritchard Taylor
    Broadhead​

Subs: Burge, Alves, Dajaku, O'Brien, Wearne, Harris, Dyce

Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.
  6. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Agree with RTB. Full of U23 but to include Younger, Wearne, Harris etc those 3 especially pushing for the first team.

7. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

To be fair mate, a lot of the youngsters like Richardson, Wearne, Dyce and Younger have done exactly that. It hasn't got them a starting place for League games but hopefully they're getting closer.

Brilliant thread again RTB. Really sets the scene for a game where, given our recent form, we will be looking at who can step up for us.

3-0 win with Harris filling his boots.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  8. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

<applause> RTB

Even when its a nothing game you still post a good opening...

Play all the young'uns or whoever..MEH

9. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Will ask the youngun when he gets in from school... Hhaaawwwwwaaaaaayyyyyyyy the lads

Robertson and RTB like this.
  10. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Great thread as usual mate. Hopefully the team is mostly u23s and they show the older lads how it's done. 3-0 to the lads.

Bank of England 2 likes this.

11. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Another quality matchday thread. Be nice to think the lads could serve up a display to match.

Bit of a tricky one for Johnson to select a team for. He must be tempted to throw some of them who were hopeless on Saturday back in as punishment. Certainly the 4 he hooked at half time. Then again he might well think play the young lads and see if they can stake a claim for Ipswich.

He will also know he is under pressure from some supporters. If he picks all youth and loses he will get stick. If he picks all youth and wins he will be under pressure to play them against Ipswich. If he plays some experienced lads and loses would be horrendous. If he plays them and wins people will say it is just Bradford in a rubbish cup. Probably the last game in the world he would choose right now. He could always do a Klopp and take the first team for some warm weather training and leave the u23s and u21s to play this. Joking aside I think he will pick a mixed side and we will see the likes of Pritchard and Dujaku in with xhemali and burge and the young lads.

12. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Great thread RTB , but I fear we will learn nothing from this game, worse still neither will LJ. Nonetheless we live in hope, rather than expectation. OaU.

13. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

As we've already qualified this is a totally meaningless game. I would play as many kids as he can get away with without incurring another £5000 fine and let them show
    what they've got.
    As Clocky says I don't think we'll learn anything from this game other than seeing if LJ has the balls to hand this fixture over to the kids.

14. spirit of 73

spirit of 73 Well-Known Member

We have just under 2weeks to the next league game, I would put out as close to a full strength team as we have available with a strong bench and use it as a confidence builder. Tell them to show passing, movement, deliveries and defending. We are through so nothing to loose and plenty to gain plus two weeks to work through any flaws or hesitation he sees. Having said that he will have promised the second string this cup for games and will pass up for me a golden opportunity.

gelders pie, RTB and Makemstine Roger like this.
  15. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Sorry mate, that was last Saturday and look how that turned out. U23s all the way.

16. Prehab26

Prehab26 Well-Known Member

Great thread mate. Game is a waste of time but again, it's an opportunity to just get some positivity back into the club.

That Ipswich game is monumental though. Massive crowd and they are on a good run.

17. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

i gave you a like for the confidence you show mate, but this is my first time in years im not expecting a win,these **** performances have shot my support to bits, i would expect the young lads to show the old dogs new tricks,but with even an immaculate performance i doubt Johnson will get the message and revert back to usual for the next game

18. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

A special mention to RTB for his time and effort in producing great match threads as usual

19. vinkel

vinkel Well-Known Member

Couldnt disagree more, its a great opportunity to give game time where needed. And to try different formations etc.

20. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

Meh but I think we will lose!!

Think the 1st team should be made to play!!

0-2 coz we are s h I t e.

Bart

RTB likes this.