1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Bradford City – Tuesday 9th November 2021 - KO 19:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Nov 8, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Nov 9, 2021.
  1. Home win

58.3%
  2. Away win

10.4%
  3. Draw - Safc win on penalties

8.3%
  4. Draw Bcfc win on penalties

2.1%
  5. Meh - PJT

20.8%
  1. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

He did get better second half but that was more to do with the fact that he couldn't get much worse, but MOTM? Not a chance for me. I'm torn on Dajaku so far, glimpses of good stuff then doesn't do the basics like controling the ball well enough. He is young and it's a big move from Germany for him and I really hope he comes good for us.

RTB, clockstander, Whittylad and 2 others like this.
  2. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Oh I’m not arguing anyones point mate, not seen any of it. Relying on my mates who were there.

I think there’s a proper player in Dajaku…..

but, having now typed that, I might as well have broken the lad’s leg! I did the same with Gooch!!!!

Whittylad, Iain and Oliver's Army like this.
  3. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

It was more the RR ratings i disagreed with mate. From what they have posted giving 6 and 7 out of 10 it would make people assume it was a "decent/good" performance but in reality it wasn't at all, I wouldn't have given the first half higher than a 2 overall, it was dire.

On Dajaku, he has some excellent attributes, good pace and skill, just need to learn when to use it and take his man on and then when to whip a ball in first time. Time on his side for that though. :emoticon-0148-yes:

4. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

I am beginning to lose faith in Johnson, but if we were to win 6 on the spin, as you say, it would go a long way to restoring my faith, although the way we finished last season and this current bad run would always be in the back of my mind - "when is the next bad run coming?"

Sadly, I don't see us getting 6 wins off the back, but it could happen because to be fair I didn't see us going on such a bad run, playing poor football 3 weeks ago. So, if the bad could happen out of the blue, maybe the good can happen out of the blue too. Who knows?

The frustrating thing for me is that he seems to have tried all sorts of combinations of players to try and end this bad run, but always using the same system. Maybe we have been sussed out by other teams, who now know how to beat that system. The players can see this, but don't see anything being done on the training pitch to combat it and are becoming disillusioned and losing faith in the coaches.

There are a lot of people commenting that it looks like some of the players are unsure what their role is. If that's the case, it is a coaching failure, same as it would be in any job. It's like teaching a trainee bricklayer how to lay bricks, without teaching him how to apply the cement.

A change in system is urgently needed and the players need to be taught each of their individual roles in that system, both with and without the ball. Then perhaps, we might see that 6 on the spin.

I for one, would be delighted if we did.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  5. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

I think Younger would be perfect in a 3 alongside Doyle and Flanagan. He was thrown in today with a partner he hasn't played with, and who hasn't had a lot of game time. Would have preferred Younger and Almond, as they've played together a lot more and know each others game.

6. The Professor

The Professor Well-Known Member

To get the best out of Dajaku others need to get on tbe same wave length, he makes some cracking runs off the ball that are not seen, constantly looking for thise runs in & behind.....before long he will stop making them if this is not recognised & picked up on.

Very frustrating at the moment & the more we play the more the confidence drains out of us. This needs sorting on the training ground, behind closed doors game this next week & back on it against Ipswich or he may not be able to turn this around

7. Iain

Iain Well-Known Member

Spot on mate I thought that the first time I saw him play, never stops, he's a young lad and will make mistakes but a lot of people only ever watch where the ball is.
    I think when he develops an understanding with Neil people will really start and see what he can do

8. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

9. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Gooch totally blanked Johnson straight after the game…

Random lad likes this.
  10. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

not suprised poor ****er plays everywhere bar his position.

11. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Has he banged some players bird? It’s weird, but something is rotten in the state of Denmark. KLD needs to sort this out, pronto

clockstander and Smug in Boots like this.
  12. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

To be fair he's always tried, no matter where he's been asked to play.

O'Nien seems to have suffered through being played in various positions as well ...

... our injuries hit us harder than I expected and players like Winchester, Gooch, O'Nien have been affected imo.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  13. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

yeah gooch is one of us mate he gets silly bookings because he try’s so hard, on top of being used like a spare part it’s gotta be tough, he had a decent spell last night then was moved again.

it’s never Gona be solid defending when people are being pulled all over by the manager and the opposition.

14. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I think its based on statistics.:emoticon-0105-wink:
    Great thread as usual RTB, your efforts are all that's keeping our season alive atm. <ok>

15. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

We were absolutely flying and playing great stuff and that can happen again ...

.... if this blip had been the first month of the season I think Johnson would've gone.

But the players, coaches and him need to get a grip and pull together before KLD has to step in.

I'm confident the club is being run properly now and will progress, but like everyone else I have limited patience.

16. clockstander

I'm surprised at this, I watch him a lot and he rarely gives the ball away, his defending is top class , and he is a superb leader, it really stumps me why he has not played more, apart from the spell with O/9 and Sanderson last year and Flanagan and Doyle up to the Portsmouth game we have consistently struggled to put any sort of defence together, putting most of our faith in Baliey Wright ant trying a succession of square pegs in round holes to support them. We all see things differently of course but I was heartened to see him get a new contract and with the right management I dont think it will be his last, at Sunderland and I have the same hope for a few more of his teammates at the academy. Its my only reason for wanting LJ and more importantly Speakman and KLD to succeed.

17. Gooch has only himself to blame. One of the wide attacking positions was his for the taking,particularly with his willingness to track back,but his form has been poor. His decision making has been awful,he always seems to want an extra touch,inevitably going head down into trouble,giving away needless fouls, and his control and his delivery have at times been very weak. He is capable of producing something special,but he never does it enough. He's being fitted in as a utility player because he can't justify being picked in the position which should suit him best.

18. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Suppose it's the difference between u23 football and the step up to senior football. Maybe he was nervous and with a few more games under his belt he'll be calmer in possession. He certainly looks the part in the air

Robertson and clockstander like this.
  19. clockstander

Of course you are right he needs to be eased in, as do all all players coming through the system, thats why the coaches and the decisions they make are so important and why we need to trust them, its obvious something is very wrong at the moment and it needs to change. My trust in LJ's game management soon evaporated , but I take take no comfort in it, in fact just the opposite.

marcusblackcat and TopCat_ like this.
  20. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Well I also reckon Pritchard was playing in Embleton's position..