1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Hull City - Saturday 9th January - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Jan 7, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Jan 9, 2021.
  1. Home win

55.4%
  2. Away win

16.1%
  3. Draw

28.6%
  1. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

Lee Johnson was in no position to make that decision for him. The only person who knew he wasn’t fit to carry on was Burge and he would have trusted his goalkeeper to make the right decision. Once Johnson spoke to him at half time he confirmed that he had a blind spot caused by the damage. Irresponsible if you ask me and 2 points dropped due to it.

2. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

He was assessed by the medical team and deemed fit to carry on.
    Head injury or not like I said he's a goalie and one mistake gets highlighted.
    So rather than slag him off I'm going to give him credit where credit is due.

Finlay from sbnation quote.

"Outside of dropping a clanger Burge was excellent. He made a great save from Tom Eaves and showed great bravery and instincts to rush off his line in the incident that led to him being clattered by Mallik Wilks."

3. Culinary

Culinary Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I would say Hull but even if so, on the evidence of Saturday we're no better than them. As I say apart from the goal we scored we didn't really create anything at all. I think Eaves going off was a blessing for us as the game turned at that point and we probably were the better team from there on in but without threatening. Hull had been the better team before that and had threatened (hit the bar and forced a good save).

Even if we conclude that it means we're on a par with them then we're still eight points behind. The lead of them and Lincoln is by no means insurmountable with so much of the season to go but unlike you I'm yet to see enough to suggest we're currently capable of doing so.

It's practically impossible to predict this year as no ones firing but to answer your question I would probably say the top 3 on paper for me would be Portsmouth, Peterborough (though something's not right there in the dressing room) and Charlton. I think Charlton will need to sack Bowyer though to go up but if they did then I think they have the strongest squad in the league (again on paper) so if they appoint the right man (Cowley? Cook?) then they should be right up there. I appreciate you could probably apply all these ifs, buts and maybes to anyone near the top including us.

Incidentally I wouldn't discount Doncaster (particularly), Blackpool or even Oxford either. Basically I'm indecisive and can't pick three and could put a case forward for all the top half (Fleetwood too depending on who they appoint!)! We have as good a chance as anyone but for me need to show a marked improvement on what I saw on Saturday.

Nig and Sunderpitt like this.
  4. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm trying to be positive and wear rose tinted spectacles.
    Although the quality obviously isn't as good in this league for all teams.
    Your right though, we do need improvement and results aside I think we have improved under Johnson and with some new players and a bit more time hopefully we'll improve enough.

Culinary likes this.
  5. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I hope our new owner and manager is as hard as nails and actually punishes them for anything like clough used to do or
    f ucks them off.

Nig likes this.