1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Hull City

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, Jan 7, 2021.

?

City win?

Poll closed Jan 9, 2021.
  1. City win

39.3%
  2. Sunderland win

27.9%
  3. Draw

32.8%
  1. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Sunderland welcome Hull City to the Stadium of Light in the Skybet League One
    please log in to view this image

Last time out Sunderland drew with Northampton and Hull beat Charlton.
    Sunderland had a disappointing start to 2021 after drawing 0-0 with struggling Northampton Town and will be looking for maximum points against high flying Hull. Lee Johnson's squad were forced to 'work from home' after the Academy of Light was closed due to positive Covid-19 tests for 14 squad members, and that lack of preparation showed in a very lack-lustre display.
    Hull beat Charlton 2-0 to move into second place behind leaders Lincoln, the Tigers having previously lost three games in a row.
    Former Black Cat, George Honeyman, will be the one to watch from the Hull City squad. He has provided 8 assists and scored 2 goals so far this season.
    Lee Johnson:
    "It’s the thriving in the uncertainty that is the key. In one sense, I was proud of them today (at Northampton). In one sense, I was frustrated.”
    "I feel like we need to continue the form that we showed at Lincoln. The team that we played today, bar one, was the same, and at that point your thinking ‘Right, there’s something to build on" but in fairness, there’s been a lot that’s gone on in between. You can’t have excuses though. We’ve got to believe when no one else does. That cause has to be created from within.”

Grant McCann:
    “I was a bit worried going into the game today, in that sometimes you can have two good training sessions but not perform in the game, but I thought that we did today, against a team that I have no doubt will be in and around the top end of the league come the end of the season.”
    “We had a really young back four out there today, we coped with everything that they threw at us, and we looked really threatening at the other end. I’m pleased with the result.”
    “On the injury front, we’ll be without Jordy de Wijs and Martin Samuelsen, they’ve both got calf strains. Keane Lewis-Potter has picked up a little problem with a tendon in his hamstring and hasn’t trained this week so he’s touch-and-go, but we’ll give him every opportunity to be available for the weekend. Callum Jones isn’t too far away now.”
    please log in to view this image

Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    TBC
    Assistant Referees:
    Fourth Official:

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    Burge, McClaughlin, Flanagan, Wright, Sanderson, Leadbitter, Power, Embleton, McGeady, Wyke, Diamond.

Subs:
    Matthews, Willis, Dobson, Neil, Maguire, Grigg, Gooch.
    Injured: Xhemajli, Kimpioka, O’Nien, Hume

Hull City: Long, Emmanuel, Jones, Greaves, Fleming, Smallwood, Honeyman, Docherty, Wilks, Eaves, Mayer.
    Subs: Coyle, Batty, Ingram, McLoughlin, Slater, Lewis-Potter.
    Injured: Jones, Samuelsen, de Wijs

phew all my own work obviously

city to smackem
    Stick a tenner on gorgeous George to score
    City 2-1

2. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Bloody hell Chazz? Perhaps your best to date?

Ric Glasgow likes this.
  3. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

He's obviously done a bit of research...and found a copyright lawyer so the author can't sue him.

4. Cambstiger

Cambstiger Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a step up (I think?).
    Well done Chazz, bet you've been working on that for a while.

5. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Well someone has.

DMD likes this.
  6. Chazz Rheinhold

Can mods please remove some of these slurs and the posters

Real ale tiger and DMD like this.
  7. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Sunderland's most prominent landmark is Penshaw Monument – it even appears on Sunderland AFC's crest. It was built in 1844 in honour of the first Earl of Durham, John George Lambton. Penshaw was modelled on the Theseion, the Temple of Theseus in Athens

Sunderland born inventor Joseph Swan demonstrated his electric light bulb in Fawcett Street on January 19th 1879. Edison's version was demonstrated in December 1879.

George Stephenson is famous for inventing the Locomotion Train, but a few years prior to this had built a railway to transport coal from Hetton to Sunderland.

The Sunderland International Airshow is the biggest free airshow in Europe

Without a Sunderland invention the TV character Dr. Who would have had to use a different method of transport as it was 1923 when Sunderland Chief Constable F. J. Crawley pioneered phone boxes.

Lewis Carrol often stayed with relatives in Whitburn and it was one night whilst they all chatted that Carrol created "Jabberwocky". A Walrus on display in the Sunderland Museum is said to be the inspiration behind Lewis Carrol's poem, "The Walrus and the Carpenter".

Newcastle United was formed by the merger of Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End, and originally played in red and white stripes.

The US Flag – the stars and stripes could be said to be modeled from Sunderland's teams colours. Though in reality the coat of arms of the First US President George Washington, who hailed from Washington (UK) was red and white stripes.

When US President Abraham Lincoln was assasinated in 1865 he was watching a play by Sunderland born Tom Taylor – the play was titled "Our American Cousin".

James Herriot, the man responsible for an entire generation wanting to become vets, was not Scottish as many people believe; he was born in Sunderland as James Alfred Wight on October 3 1916.

The first stained glass produced in England was made at St. Peter's Monastery in 674 AD.

When the Wearmouth Bridge was built it was the largest single span bridge (also the largest iron bridge) in the world.

The Wearmouth Colliery shaft, opened in 1835, was the deepest mineshaft in the world, reaching a depth of 1700ft.

Sunderland was the largest ship building town in the world. The first recorded shipbuilder was Thomas Menville in 1346.

Sunderland became the first club to sign someone's manager. In 1949 they made a bid for Carlisle United player-manager Ivor Broadis. Broadis handled negotiations himself, accepted the bid for himself and he was over to Sunderland for a fee of £18,000.

Carlisle can't have been too disappointed, as Broadis was replaced as manager by some bloke called Bill Shankly.

In 1990, Sunderland lost the play offs, but still got promoted, as Swindon were penalised for illegal payments.

Sunderland Parish Church was the first brick built church in England

The first patented rope factory in England (Websters) was opened in Sunderland

If you have ever wondered why all fire exits open outwards, here's why. During a show at the Victoria Hall in Sunderland, children were told that they could get free sweets from the stage. There was a sudden rush down the stairs. At the bottom of the stairs was a door. The door opened inwards and there was a massive crush. Over 180 children were killed and legislation was brought into place that doors should open outwards. A monument to this tragedy stands in Mowbray Park

The first cholera cases of the epidemic in the country were seen in Sunderland in 1831.

The term 'nailing your colours to the mast originates from a Sunderland man. Jack Crawford, a sailor from Sunderland was on Admiral Duncan's ship at the Battle of Campdeown. During the battle, part of the mast was damaged and the Admiral's flag was lowered (considered a sign of surrender). Jack Crawford climbed the mast and nailed the colours back to the mast. He was presented to the king and given a state pension of £30 a year. He died in poverty, of cholera and was buried in a pauper's grave. A memorial to Jack Crawford is located in Mowbray Park.

8. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Rubbish. I need a new prescription for my specs.

DMD likes this.
  9. Quill

Quill Bastard

4-0 or win on pens

this is the way

10. Chazz Rheinhold

You missed JAJ pyrex manufactured there for fifty years. Love a bit of pyrex me

tigers1970 likes this.

11. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

You live and learn. I think most people assume it's all made in Cornwall because of the success of the Pyrex of Penzance.

12. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

We'll smash the feline ****ers, but...

13. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Locomotion train...Oh dear. It was a locomotive. Or a steam engine.

14. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

You should be grateful I didn't put chuff chuff.

15. rovertiger

rovertiger Well-Known Member

Or puff puff

DMD likes this.
  16. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

Young Barch...

BlackAndAmberGambler likes this.
  17. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

robingram02 likes this.
  18. Julio

Julio Well-Known Member

Somebody has been on the Sunderland 606 board and copy and pasted from our match thread i see

19. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

Good effort DMD but not a patch on the Chazzmans masterpiece.....:emoticon-0130-devil

Chazz Rheinhold and DMD like this.
  20. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

Probably the best Match Thread in all of the forums and has been used on here before. RTB really puts in the work- the only thing is keeping up with his user names! How many has he had since he joined your board in 2011?