1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Ipswich Town – Saturday 20th November 2021 - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Nov 18, 2021.

?

Your prediction:

Poll closed Nov 20, 2021.
  1. Home win

72.1%
  2. Away win

11.5%
  3. Draw

16.4%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland host Ipswich Town in the EFL League One
    SAFCvITFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland drew with Bradford but lost the penalty shoot-out in the EFL Trophy, and Ipswich beat Oldham in the FA Cup.
    The Black Cats return to league action with a home game against an improving Ipswich Town side. Sunderland need to halt a worrying run of poor form and will look to secure a valuable three points against The Tractor Boys.
    Corry Evans and Tom Flanagan both played in the Northern Ireland team that kept a clean sheet against European Champions Italy. Callum Doyle, Dennis Cirkin and Dan Neil return from international duty with England U20s.
    Lee Burge has a hip flexor problem and he could be out for 7-10 days. Hence the decision to recall Patterson from his loan at Notts County.
    A magical finish from Idris El Mizouni saw Ipswich Town come from behind to defeat Oldham in a first round FA Cup replay at Boundary Park. Harrison McGahey headed the hosts in front but Conor Chaplin found an equaliser before half-time with El Mizouni's remarkable strike booking Town's place in the second round, where they will host Barrow.
    Paul Cook made seven changes from Saturday's goalless draw against Oxford. Christian Walton, George Edmundson, Bailey Clements and Wes Burns, who was operating at right-back, were the four to retain their place in the starting XI.
    Lee Johnson
    “I think that it’s easily turnaroundable. We’ve got good players. We fully believe in what we are doing and the process in what we are doing.
    “Little things will start to swing. We’ve got 14 days from the last game to go and rest and recuperate. We had a fair few knocks and niggles. We’ve got people like Aiden (O’Brien) who has been playing two or three games on the spin.
    “Ross Stewart, with his shoulder, is now getting analysed by the surgeons and potentially might have to be injected to lighten that load on the shoulder.
    “(Lynden) Gooch now back. Embo (Elliot Embleton) a little bit rusty but back and played a good ball for the goal. Pritch (Alex Pritchard) got 90 minutes.
    “We should be in a position of strength in terms of our squad health come Saturday.”
    Paul Cook:
    "We will make a couple of changes to the team but it will be in no means to weaken it." (Before Oldham)
    "It was a very difficult night, Oldham were very good in both games, they were excellent.
    "It just shows how the leagues are levelling up. We’ve come to a game where people might think we’d walk all over them - it was anything but.
    "There are always so many Cup upsets. I’ve been involved in them, both good and bad. These games becomes levellers. We picked a team that we felt could win the game and I’m delighted for the players that they’ve won.
    "It was fantastic travelling support on a Tuesday night. Being in the second round of the competition was what they wanted and I’m delighted that we’ve delivered that for them.
    "I’m delighted for Idris. He trains so hard, he works hard and he’s a great young man. To score in front of the travelling fans; they’re moments that you dream about as a young lad growing up in football."
    Form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    Tom Nield
    Assistant Referees: David Avent and Stephen Wade
    Fourth Official: Ross Joyce

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    Hoffmann, Cirkin, Younger, Doyle, Flanagan, Winchester, O’Nien, Evans, Neil, Stewart, Broadhead.
    Team.gif
    Subs: Patterson, Alves, Xhemajli, Pritchard, McGeady, Dajaku, Embleton
    Injured: Willis, Huggins, Hume.

Ipswich Town: Walton, Donacien, Nsiala, Edmundson, Clements, Evans, Morsy, Burns, Celina, Edwards, Bonne.
    Subs: Harper, Pigott, Fraser, Chaplin, Aluko, Burgess, Hladky.
    Injured: tbc
    Characteristics.GIF
    Betting Odds:
    Sunderland
    11/10 Ipswich 23/10 Draw 23/10

My two pence:
    After the international break I’m looking forward to having some proper football to watch. Hopefully the time off has given LJ some extra time on the training pitch and we see some positive signs on Saturday. We need to get off to a good start and just win a game.
    I’m going for a 2-1 home win.

Live Stream (for overseas fans)
    https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/live-video

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  2. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

This’ll be Johnson’s last game in charge IMO.

Makemstine Roger, Random lad and RTB like this.
  3. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Really hope he goes 2 up top but don't think he will. I'm looking for a much improved performance after the last few matches, we need a positive reaction from the players. I'd take a good performance and a draw to be honest, as long as it looks like we are getting back on track.

4. vinkel

vinkel Well-Known Member

"
    View attachment 205790

5. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

A huge game because of our recent poor run in the league. I’ll be gutted if we aren’t right up for this one, and get the win we all crave.

I’m predicting a fairly comfy 2-0 win, but dreading a defeat, especially if the effort is not there from the players.

At the moment positivity is winning, so I’m looking forward to enjoying my Saturday night.

Bart

Blond Bombshell, Gil T Azell and RTB like this.
  6. LD19SAFC

It’ll be toxic if we start as poorly as we have done in recent games…

7. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Driving up for the game and expecting a much better performance. We were playing really well just a few weeks ago so no reason we can't win this. Win this and we have two more games where we can take the points. I'm not interested in the managerial intricacies, just the points.

Haway Sunderland.

8. LD19SAFC

Shrewsbury, Cambridge, Oxford and Morecambe the next 4 in the league after Saturday… Fair to say that Ipswich game is huge.

9. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Like OA says he needs to go 2 up front. Especially at home. Stewart & Broadhead must be there from the beginning albeit both just returning from injury. As much as I like O9 maybe time to give him a rest.
    I obviously want the win. I have put us to win in the predictor. Once again I would take an ugly nervy 1-0 just to get the points and the mighty SAFC back on track.

10. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Great to see the match day thread again LTB, good team pick as well, mine (nicked off Felltop with apologies), would be this variation, in a 4, 3, 1, 2 line up , I hope LJ does something similar, but whatever he does , we need to get back to winning ways, and moving OaU.
    Hoffman
    Winchester Flannagan Younger Cirkin
    Neil Evans Doyle
    Embleton
    Stewart Broadhead

11. The Berk

The Berk Well-Known Member

Turnaroundable, is that a real word.

12. LD19SAFC

It’s about time this squad of players showed some character. The likes of McGeady and O’Nien really need to get back to their best..

13. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

My spellchecker didn't like it <laugh>

14. The Berk

The Berk Well-Known Member

Ha ha neither did mine

15. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Need to win this for no other reason than to calm every ****er down, any score will do as long as it's in our favour.HTL

16. Whittylad

Whittylad Well-Known Member

Cracking thread again RTB. Great information. A little nervy about this one but as has already been said we need to start performing again. I am not bothered about the manager situation just yet but Im hoping for a fast start to get the crowd going. I’m hoping for a positive performance and no matter how it comes a win. Ha way the lads. Close but home win.

Makemstine Roger, FellTop and RTB like this.
  17. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

If he suddenly makes fundamental and reactionary changes to his formation and tactics then I'd be worried. He needs to stand by his philosophy and get the players to start taking some responsibility on the pitch

18. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

Early goal to settle the nerves and we will be fine. I’m going for a 2-1 with Ipswich scoring late to set the nerves jangling

Whittylad, RTB and FellTop like this.
  19. robinoz

robinoz Well-Known Member

No - it's "Johnson speak" mate - at times I wonder what the hell he is on about, bit of a gobshite to be honest.

20. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

Tough game but fancy a win, we’ve had a bit time off to get some players fit and give others a rest we should be well up for this.