1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Ipswich Town – Saturday 20th November 2021 - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Nov 18, 2021.

?

Your prediction:

Poll closed Nov 20, 2021.
  1. Home win

72.1%
  2. Away win

11.5%
  3. Draw

16.4%
  1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Not as bad as some are saying imo.

Montysoptician, APC and FellTop like this.
  2. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Great reply,<ok> Geads has already won us two tight games coming off the bench lately and that's exactly how he should be used imo., the two defensive players are a good idea , but I am also a fan of Felltops idea, of moving Doyle into a central midfield position ( it could be at least tried out on this much vaunted training ground of ours , which seams to fall way short, as far as I can see, or in an under 23 game) then bringing Younger and Flanagan into the back three as this would give us an extra man in midfield, where we have a quite a few options.

Charley Farley likes this.
  3. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Actually I would like us to play a back 3, it could help prevent easy goals being given away, but do we have two good wing backs.

Gooch, Hume, Cirkin and Huggins(?)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    clockstander likes this.
  4. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

It's decisions like our penalty is where I feel referees should get punished.

5. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

It’s a shame 3 of those are out for the next 5+ weeks…

clockstander likes this.
  6. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Worrying :( I didn't watch it and considering the poor stats at home, just asked on another thread how we faired.
    I'll have a sift through these match posts now to weigh up views.
    The positives are we're still in touch with automatic and the win hopefully gives us more confidence.
    Keep in touch with the top to the January window and strengthen areas of weakness and hopefully push on .

7. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Well-Known Member

Just popped on to offer my opinion on the game. A draw would have been a fair result tbh as I didn’t feel either team did enough to win the game however I’ll take the 3 points all day.

the ref was utter tosh yet again. Couldn't wait to card our players despite some poor challenges from Ipswich players. That penalty decision was very harsh I felt as I don’t know how the player could get out of the way of a bell smashed at him.

first half we were ok and had periods well here we dominated. Second half was poor.

I’ll take 2-0 all day and we move on and hopefully we can kickstart a winning run.

8. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Reckon Winny and O/9 might cover until the window, other than that, the u23,s or Gooch <yikes>

Sunderpitt likes this.
  9. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Good post mate and LJ said in his post match "players nervous and bereft of confidence". They must be after recent results.

Also, Ipswich are a decent team in this league, we have to remember that when we look at our own quality. We're not a premier League club anymore and neither are any other team in this division.
    We are however a team near the top and all to play for.
    Nice to hear the fans getting behind the team, most know we are in with a shout and support could be crucial.

Definitely need a midfield monster and someone to instill confidence.

Mags ? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

10. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

may just be my view as some have said we did ok, the signs are there that we are not too far away from our early season form but our passing needs to improve drastically.

i am not one to knock players but gooch needs to find that 'killer ball' a lot more and once he is dropped out of the attack he basically drops out of the game...to be fair, i like gooch and what he brings but lately his final ball has just not been consistent enough although being thrown into at least 4 different positions in one game cannot help.

so yes, there are still plenty positives but we do need some work, we have not 'gone all to sh1t' but there are mistakes that can be rectified without drastic changes in personel imho.

RTB, cumbrianmackem and Nig like this.

11. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Thats the thing though mate.
    Do we concentrate on our own team too much ?
    I mean, when we pick out our discrepancies, do we sometimes forget other teams around us have theirs ?

Anyways, big positive from yesterday is a win and clean sheet.
    Be great if we can have another run now and a good window in January like the last :)

Robertson, RTB, FellTop and 1 other person like this.
  12. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

i honestly think the standard of play in this league has improved dramatically over the past couple of seasons, we are seeing a lot less hoof and hope and some good passing teams are starting to emerge, much less of the 'sh1thousery' that greeted us at first.

now, if we can get the officials on board to stop trying to make a name for themselves and just do their job we could watch some really good games...other than that, we know we have the players to pass the ball around with ease, get that back and we need not worry about how other teams perform.

Robertson and Nig like this.
  13. sheepman

sheepman Well-Known Member

Some excellent points being made here. I’d like to throw into the mix playing Winchester in midfield. Thought his little cameo yesterday shows he now has the confidence he has been lacking. Thought his play kept us on the front foot for the last 10 mins. Need to sort out a full back but if we went to a back three would be happy to see Gouch at wingback. He’s been awful lately but seems better when he’s moved back and just given a limited job to do Might regain some confidence

Robertson, clockstander, RTB and 2 others like this.
  14. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Trouble is there's still some shìthousery and we need to get over that and not be bullied.
    But agree, this league does look stronger.

samwise_new likes this.
  15. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

That seems to have been a problem for us having to mix players due to countless injuries yet again.
    Apparently LJ looking at free agents.
    Really hope we can get some good results next few games and keep the pressure on top teams.

sheepman likes this.
  16. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Just listening to chat about Conte at Spuds. Apparently he trains the players very hard and expects lots of sprints and distance covered every game.

I think there was a thread/posts about this recently.

Not sure what out stats are compared to other L1 teams. Anybody know?

My comment would be we are not pressing as much as we did at the start of the season. Also my bet would be that Stewart would be top for sprints and distance covered!

Robertson likes this.
  17. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Great post mate.

I agree that our priority needs to be the forward positions in January. I like Stewart but I think we need more up there. His workrate is excellent and he moves defenders around. However if you look at the top goalscorer charts he has 0 assists. Most of them have assists to their name as well as goals. Either it is because he is isolated a lot, or he doesnt see things quickly enough. I am not saying I would drop him, rather I think we could be better with some better options alongside him that can get a bit closer.

I agree McGeady has more impact in the last 30 against tired defenders. Dujaku probably doesnt start yet either. Broadhead still an unknown but deserves a run of games.

I would be trying to sign the likes of Scully from Lincoln personally. Plays down the right where I think we are short. Was outstanding against us in the plays off I thought and every time I see him he is making things happen. Nothing wrong with throwing a bit of money around trying to disrupt your competition either. I wouldnt be against signing Keane from wigan as some direct competition for Stewart either.

clockstander and RTB like this.
  18. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Hmmm - could it be :emoticon-0112-wonde

Robertson and clockstander like this.
  19. steesafc

steesafc Well-Known Member

Agree tbh.

We didn't offer a great deal as an attacking force but restricted them to only a couple of opportunities despite them having more of the ball. It was never going to be a rip-roaring display given the form we've shown but the result was always most important. It was an excellent result for us.

Smug in Boots, FellTop and Sunderpitt like this.
  20. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

These things even themselves up do they say. We played Burton and could’ve won by 5 or 6. We lost 1-0 to their only shot. If you don’t take your chances, you don’t deserve to win is what we were told.