1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Ipswich Town – Saturday 20th November 2021 - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Nov 18, 2021.

?

Your prediction:

Poll closed Nov 20, 2021.
  1. Home win

72.1%
  2. Away win

11.5%
  3. Draw

16.4%
  1. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

You haven’t seen me complain I’ve always said I’d be happy to play poor and win every game

GaryClark, samwise_new and Sunderpitt like this.
  2. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

It hit his arm in a non natural position. It’s a penalty by the current rules. It’s harsh, but the rules are there. Intent has been completely removed

it also was on target. So had it not hit his arm who knows what would happen. If you watch the “arguments” the only one of their players who doesn’t is the lad it hit. IMO that tells a story

GaryClark, Nordic and Montysoptician like this.
  3. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I am with you. I thought it was an example of us grinding it out. To me with such a young side that is pretty impressive. I suspect much of the work on the coaching pitch for the last two weeks has been on our defensive shape and preventing chances at source. It is why I suspect Wright played because he will have been a big part of it with Flannagan away. We had a much better defenaive shape and organisation than in previous weeks, in my opinion.

Overall I think it is a day where Johnson and some of the players who havent been performing get some credit back in the bank. They looked like they were playing for Johnson, and a clean sheet is a credit to whatever they have worked on for 2 weeks. I also thought his use of subs were spot on and got us the win when it 0-0. I know not everyone will agree but it was a really good way to stop the run and hopefully get everyone back in a positive mindset.

4. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Failing to take reasonable care that the ball doesn't hit your arm in the area can result in a penalty ...

... that's what happened in this case, no big deal.

We conceded a penalty at Gillingham that was as soft as this one

cumbrianmackem and Sunderpitt like this.
  5. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

That doesn’t matter anymore. If his arm is by his side, it’s not handball. The fact that his arm is sticking out (definitely when you watch it back) and the player it hit didn’t argue at all tells the story perfectly to me.

oh and the ref missed a blatant foul in the box in the first half on Stewart too.

6. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

This one? Could have also been given for wright too

Robertson and marcusblackcat like this.
  7. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

Or this one?

8. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Frankie very animated there <laugh> No penalty, Stewart goes down too easily IMO.

9. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Defenders reactions tell a story. He was waiting for the ref to give it as he knew he missed the ball and played the man. He does go down easily but that doesn’t stop it being a foul. If you kick someone and he doesn’t fall over, it’s still a foul

samwise_new and Ozzymac like this.
  10. LD19SAFC

That’s a good point, actually. Looks as though he’s just waiting for the whistle and point to the spot…

marcusblackcat likes this.

11. LD19SAFC

I’ve just seen this on Twitter - love it

please log in to view this image

12. Oldsandy

Oldsandy Well-Known Member

I thought it was a harsh decision at first. I thought the ball had hit him on the back of his upper right arm. On the replay it looked like the ball travelled across the front of his body and hit his open left hand which he had sticking out. The ref was right in line.

Makemstine Roger and samwise_new like this.
  13. GaryClark

GaryClark Well-Known Member

The ball hit the defenders arm which was making his body unnaturally bigger. Was a penalty according to the rules. Defenders need to keep arms down to avoid this.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  14. Oldsandy

Oldsandy Well-Known Member

Agree 100% with your first paragraph, mate.

15. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

He stops completely for a second or two as he waits for it to be given. That would be given 9 times out of 10. 10 out of 10 with var involved.

samwise_new likes this.
  16. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

everyone stops and waits for the whistle on that one, the other one was a certainty in my eyes, both arms wrapped around stewart with the ref looking directly at it, bailey wright was a bit soft to call a penalty mind but there really is only one way to stop such wrestling in the box and that is for officials to give penalties and be consistent.

17. samwise_new

think the ref knew he had cocked it up with the earlier foul on stewart and was waiting for a chance to give something...in 'real time' i honestly thought he had blown for a goal kick when it was an obvious corner, never thought it was a penalty from the camera view but right now i will take a little luck going our way as we get back on track.

Oliver's Army likes this.
  18. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Not a penalty in the Spuds v Dirty Leeds game when a shot hit Harry Kane hand/arm and was heading goalwards...VAR said no!

samwise_new likes this.
  19. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Johnson planted the seed at half time imo, watching the Access all areas video he definitely has a word with the ref at HT and it plays on the refs mind IMO anyway.

samwise_new likes this.
  20. samwise_new

as i keep saying, there are too many 'gray areas' in the rules now and depending who it benefits they get 'bent' regularly...same as the marginal offsides, at the time a ball is passed you could probably choose about 5 or 6 frames at least during which time the attackers leg could move those few millimeters, hand ball is just a farce now 'un-natural' position ffs, the only 'un-natural' position is trying to defend with your arms tucked behind your back.