1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Tranmere – EFL Trophy Final - Sunday 14th March - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Mar 11, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Mar 14, 2021.
  1. Sunderland win

95.6%
  2. Tranmere win

0.9%
  3. Draw - we win on penalties

2.6%
  4. Draw - they win on penalties

0.9%
  5. Meh - not as good as the Fairs Cup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland travel to Wembley Stadium to face Tranmere Rovers in the Papa John’s Trophy.
    PJT_Final.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland beat Portsmouth and Tranmere beat Southend.
    Sunderland face Tranmere Rovers in the final of the 2021 Papa John’s Trophy at Wembley Stadium. It will form part of an EFL Weekender with the delayed 2020 final between Portsmouth and Salford City to be played the day before. Tranmere overcame Oxford United in the first of the two semi-finals, before the Black Cats beat Lincoln City on penalties.
    Sunderland could welcome back some key players this week. Bailey Wright, Grant Leadbitter, Ross Stewart and Benji Kimpioka are all due to train today, and depending on how they react, the quartet could be available for Wembley duty.
    Denver Hume, while training, is being lined up for a couple of Under-23 outings before he returns to the first-team fold, while Conor McLaughlin is not expected to begin training until later in the week and remains a major doubt for Wembley. Aiden O’Brien will be assessed after picking up a knock at Portsmouth. Jordan Willis and Arbenit Xhemajli are long-term absentees, and sadly, Dion Sanderson, Carl Winchester and Jake Vokins are all cup tied.
    Tranmere are mounting a promotion push as they lie just two points off the top of the League Two table, and with Keith Hill’s side having already seen off Peterborough and Oxford in the knockout stages of this season’s Trophy, they can’t be taken for granted.
    Rovers will be without star striker and ex Black Cat James Vaughan, who had surgery this week.
    Lee Johnson:
    “We’re not going there for a day out to enjoy ourselves,” said the Sunderland boss. “Our attitude is very much that we’ve got to go and win at Wembley. It’s a game that we want to win.”
    “The danger is that we’re playing a side from the league below, so there will be certain assumptions that go along with that, but we’re playing a team that are flying. They’re doing well in the league and they’ve got a really experienced squad “The positive is that I’m taking a session (today) and we will have five players in that session who hopefully won’t be too far away.”
    “We had Tom coming back (at Portsmouth) which was a good one, we’ll have Bails training, Ross Stewart training, Denver Hume training, Grant Leadbitter training, and Benji Kimpioka training. We’ve got an embarrassment of riches, if you like.”

Keith Hill:
    “For them to bounce back after Saturday was great, I’m not a bad manager because we lost one game and the players aren’t bad players because they lost one game, but it’s sensationalised on forums and on Twitter. This was a great performance and a great three points. If we had performed like that and been beaten I would still have gone home happy, but we haven’t been beaten because of the desire. I’m so pleased for the players and they shouldn’t be getting any stick when we get beaten occasionally. Of course this was an important game, but in the grand scheme of things it was just another game really.”
    “We’ve won tonight and we’re at Wembley at the weekend so we won’t be playing when the other League Two sides are, but it’s going to be a special weekend when we’re representing Tranmere and the supporters"

Form.GIF

Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    Charles Breakspear
    Assistant Referees: Geoffrey Liddle and Stuart Butler
    Fourth Official: Robert Lewis

How can I watch it?
    Only virtual tickets are available for fans for the 2021 Papa John’s Trophy Final, and no spectators will be allowed inside. The game is set to be played behind closed doors as per current government regulations.
    The fixture will be broadcast on Sky Sports Football, with the broadcast beginning at 2:45pm, though Sky are yet to confirm which pundits will cover the game.
    The game will also be available to stream via Now TV, but it will not be available on SAFC.com or via iFollow.
    Cheapest (legal) option is Now TV free 14 day trial and a £9.99 Sky sports day pass.
    What are the rules for the 2021 Papa John’s Trophy Final?
    The rules that govern the rest of the Papa John’s Trophy will apply to the final – with one notable exception.
    If the scores are level at 90 minutes, a half-an-hour period of extra time will be played, then penalties.
    Penalties will be taken in the traditional ABAB format.
    In previous rounds, there was no period of extra time – as Sunderland found out in their semi-final triumph against Lincoln.
    What prize money is available for the 2021 Papa John’s Trophy Final?
    The winners of the 2021 Papa John’s Trophy Final will earn £100,000, with the runners-up handed £50,000.
    This is in addition to the prize money that they have already pocketed up to now from earlier rounds of the competition.

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    Burge; Power, Younger, O’Nien; Jones, Scowen, Leadbitter, McFadzean; O’Brien, McGeady, Wyke.
    Team.gif
    Subs: Matthews, Flanagan, Maguire, Diamond, Neil, Gooch, Kimpioka.
    Injured: Xhemajli, Hume, Willis, Wright, McLaughlin.

Tranmere Rovers: (4-2-3-1) Davies, O’Connor, Ray, Clarke, MacDonald, Lewis, Spearing, Feeney, Morris, Lloyd, Woolery.
    Subs: Blackett-Taylor, Nugent, Ridehalgh, Murphy, Monthe, Crawford, Kirby
    Injured: Vaughan

Betting Odds:
    Sunderland
    4/5 Tranmere 15/5 Draw 12/5

My two pence:
    After Tuesday’s excellent performance at Fratton Park, I’m confident that we can do this and finally nail the Wembley curse.
    I’m going for another 2-0 win.

Live stream - tbc see @Makemstine Roger <whistle>
    https://cricfree.sc/watch/live/sunderland-vs-tranmere-rovers-live-streaming

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  2. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Lovely job RTB. Get on top early, bag some goals and relax into the game resulting in a solid win for the Lads. Going 2-0 as well.

3. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Excellent thread mate, seeing this makes it real all of a sudden.

There's a real determination is the team now and everyone who comes in seems to buy into it. We're like the Japanese army, at the moment ...

... no matter how many casualties we have we just keep attacking and wearing the opposition down.

I'm expecting an hour of Tranmere giving it all they have but I feel we'll catch them as they tire.

Our passing, against Portsmouth, was excellent and Wembley should be another good pitch for us.

Haway the Lads!!!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  4. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Surely - Charlie will score again :emoticon-0103-cool:

5. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

HA'WWWWWWAY THE LADS

MACKEMS ATTACKEM

I'm really looking forward to this.
    I'll wish Tranmere good luck in the league for the rest of the season and hope they gain promotion at the end after the EFL debacle.
    But for now they are all that's in our way of a winners trophy at Wembley.
    Tin pot or not I really want us to win it.

Coooomon.

6. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Makemstine Roger and Nig like this.
  7. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

4-0.

Charlie doing Charlie things.

Beautiful start to a beautiful story.

8. Snaggey

Snaggey Well-Known Member

Cracking thread as always rtb, im going for 4 - 1.
    Wyke 2, McGeady and Jones.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  9. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I'm confident we'll win. Do we have a better team? Yes. Do we have a better manager? Yes. Both teams are in form but we're on the kind of roll that's hard to stop and I don't see a league two side being the ones to do it when we've just swatted away Portsmouth.

Anything can happen on the day and I don't mean any disrespect to Tranmere. You'd be foolish to bet on them though if you were neutral.

10. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Actually thought earlier ‘hmm could hoy £100 on Tranmere so if somehow we managed to lose I’d win’, but the odds are actually garbage.

Figured they’d be 8-10/1. 3/1. Tight.

11. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

After Tuesday I can only see a comfortable SAFC win and I mean no disrespect at all to Tranmere. I actually think we'll put on another show for the cameras, 3 nil to the Lads (2 nil up at HT).

12. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

enjoyed your thread again RTB i see you have Younger in defence, im sure i read he is off to America but cant remember when. anyway cant see past a win with around 3 goals Wyke Jones and McGeady really up for the match and cant wait, as the games are coming thick and fast we play again on Monday

RTB likes this.
  13. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

That's Curry who's off to Miami Rog :emoticon-0100-smile

14. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

Were 4-0 up with 2 minutes to go and get a penna. Burge steps up to calmly slot the 5th :emoticon-0103-cool:

(Really think a comfortable 2-0 win)

RTB and Draig like this.
  15. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Start Grant on the bench, push Power (or 09) into midfield and have Flanagan in the back line.

Coast to a 3-1 win with goals from 09, Jones and Wyke.

Then its back with a full strength side to crush Accrington on Wednesday night and resume our assault on a top two place in the league.

16. Smug in Boots

Just woke up to a message that Jones is out for two weeks, slight hamstring problem. Its direct from the player I can't see it being incorrect, fingers crossed it is.

I just hope O'Brien isn't in the same boat.

Looks like one of our young lads has a big chance.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    RTB likes this.
  17. Comfy

Comfy Well-Known Member

That’s not good news, just as he was showing us what he can do

18. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Complacency is going to be the biggest threat here. If we turn up expecting to piss it we'll have problems.

Get right after them from the first whistle and leave them in no doubt that there'll be no surprises.

Gil T Azell, Nordic, Draig and 2 others like this.
  19. Smug in Boots

Hopefully Gooch is fit and comes in, unless it's Diamond's time to shine ...

... we were doing fine before Jones and Johnson seems to take these injuries in his stride.

Gil T Azell, Comfy and RTB like this.
  20. ****...that's bad news. I was hoping we could get into a rhythm with him,McGeady and Wyke as a front three.

Makemstine Roger and Comfy like this.