1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Superbowl 2016

Discussion in 'American Football' started by rainermariarilke, Sep 6, 2015.

1. rainermariarilke

rainermariarilke Well-Known Member

Greetings, everyone. Making my annual visit to this site and, as usual, hoping to feed off the wisdom of others.

Haven't put the money down yet, but my first instinct is to back the Colts (still some crumbs of 10-1 available, but mostly in single figures now). Logic tells me that the NFC is the stronger conference, but I just have a growing feeling that this might be the year Andrew Luck comes into his kingdom. Initial signs aren't promising - deeply unimpressive preseason, and a growing list of injuries - but it's not over till it's over, and I should be able to trade out without major damage if IC win their division, which should be a given (yes? no?) .

As always, happy to see any other views whether for or against. Enjoy the season.

2. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Biased of course but I suspect the 49ers will have a better season after the troubles of last year. Not sure if they will win the thing but very hopeful of Play Off spot.

Kaepernick has a LOT to prove this year.

I suspect Seattle will have a tougher season this time around, Pats will be in the shakeup, Green Bay to come on strong at the end. Still havent had chance to analyse whats gone on in the off season and drafting process in full, but those 3 things I'm fairly clear on.

3. Big Chief

Big Chief Active Member

I personally had the Packers as favourites for the NFC until they lost Jordy Nelson and the Colts for the AFC until yesterday.

I really don't know who will win it this year after some of yesterday's results!

In the AFC the Patriots, Ravens, Bengals and Chiefs look good.

In the NFC you can't ifnore Seattle despite their loss, Packers will be there about's and the Cardinals will be up there IMO.

I'm also intrigued about how the Eagles get on with Bradford as QB.

4. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Out of the AFC picks - Chiefs might surprise many.Will be happy for Big Red.

Your intrigue is already answered. We cannot just win with Bradford alone - if we throw away hundred yards / game in Pens & miss 40+ yd FGs!!

We will huff & puff for 9-7 or 10-6. Will bow out in wild card.

5. TopClass

I keep looking at Detroit Lions and liking a LOT about them but I just can't warm to their QB whatsoever.

Tate, Johnson, abdullah will always be a threat but I'm not sure Stafford is the man to coordinate that offense.

Anyone else got thought on the Lions?

6. Big Chief

Big Chief Active Member

They have lost Suh in their D which is a massive loss - I like their offense but to lose a lead like they did to the Chargers isn't great.

I really think it's wide open this year! Would be worth backing a few outsiders like the Cardinals and the Chiefs.

I really like the Chiefs D this year and their offense has massively improved with Maclin, Charles and Kelce and a better O line.

40-1 is a great outside bet - but I may be biased being a Chiefs fan!

7. TopClass

Chiefs were on the improve all season long last year and I have them down as play off material.

I do think a couple of surprises and under performing favourites could happen this year.

Talking of biased, I managed to get about 70/1 on the betting exchange market about a surprise 49ers SuperBowl, so I have that one covered <laugh>

8. rainermariarilke

rainermariarilke Well-Known Member

Just looking in to acknowledge and record my personal shame and humiliation for ever having thought that the Colts were a SB team. I know that Luck and others haven't been healthy, but even the (next) Greatest QB On Earth can't do much if he spends 80% of his time face down in the mud. No strong views at the moment about how to get the money back, but on the rare occasions I've watched Arizona for a full game (as opposed to highlights) they've looked very capable on both sides of the ball. But, as John Madden used to say, on the even more rare occasions that I could understand him 'it ain't about the regular, it's who gets hot in January'.

9. Big Chief

Big Chief Active Member

I said Cardinals back in September ;)

Don't think anyone saw the panthers being 14-1 at this stage - Super Cam is just class.

Chiefs have also now made the playoffs.

I think it will be a Bengals v Cardinals SB.

I would love a Chiefs v Panthers SB though.

10. TopClass

Bengals have lost their QB to injury right?

11. Big Chief

Big Chief Active Member

Yes but he maybe back for playoffs.

If they get number 1 or 2 seed they will have an extra week or so as the first round is wild card round.

12. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

So guys, let's discuss, Broncos or Panthers? I'm going with the Broncos, Ray Lewis kind of situation like with the Baltimore Ravens. A vet has the chance to sign off on a legendary high. It's like a dreaming waiting to happen. And in the US, dreams usually fail, fairy tale dreams however usually succeed.

13. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

True. But Cam's & Panth's run this year is like Cinderella!!

Too close to call. Americans script these things perfectly - especially NFL.

14. TopClass

Well it's the great offence and the great defence.

Cams athleticism is key- can he still the crucial first downs at the right times?

Two possible outcomes for me:

Carolina blitz them early and win by a big margin.....OR a close game and Denver wins IMO.

Got a sneaky suspicion that Denver might nick this, 31-28/ 24-21

15. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

I know what you mean Stan, Broncos have had a flaky offense that can completely implode. Hillman is not good enough to carry the team like Lynch, Peterson or Doug Martin. If Hillman has a no show on Sunday I can't see the Broncos winning. However, I can easily see the Panthers losing steam because of a bye week. When they had to start in the divisional round they were on fire against the Seahawks but quickly, they ran out of steam and Russell Wilson almost single handedly broke down their defense. Peyton can use the same tactics and hope his defense can keep the Panthers from scoring 24 or more points. If so, Broncos have a good shot.

16. Big Chief

Big Chief Active Member

No close call in this, the Broncos are overrated - panthers are going to give them a spanking!

17. QPR New York

QPR New York Active Member

Panthers D v. Broncos O - Broncos O [Peyton Manning's last game will be epic]
    Broncos D v. Panthers O - Panthers O [Cam Newton will set a record for QB rushing in a SB]
    It will be the highest scoring Super Bowl of all time.

Special Teams will decide this game. A punt or kick return for a TD probably.
    But I honestly don't know who is going to win on Sunday.

18. QPR New York

QPR New York Active Member

Nice game. I was completely backwards on the offenses exploding.

Cam Newton was obviously disappointed in the outcome, but he has to be more of a professional in defeat. Horrible post-game press conference. Horrible.

19. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

Called it :)