1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea City 2 v 0 Cardiff City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Oct 20, 2022.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Competition - Sky Bet Championship
    Venue - Swansea.com Stadium
    Date - 23 October 2022
    Kick off - Noon

Following their fully deserved 3-2 home victory over Play-Off rivals Reading, next up for Russell Martin’s Swansea squad is the South Wales derby against Cardiff at the Swansea.com Stadium.

On Tuesday evening, the Swans produced a remarkable turnaround to beat Reading 3-2 and leapfrog them in the Sky Bet Championship table.

Reading had struck twice in the opening 33 minutes through Yakou Meite and Tom Ince as the visitors sought to end their worst run of the campaign - three games without a win.

But Harry Darling halved the deficit before the interval, and second-half goals from Ollie Cooper and Jay Fulton lifted Swansea to seventh in the Championship with Reading dropping to ninth.

Fulton's 74th-minute winner - seizing on to a loose ball and lashing home from 30 yards - was worthy of deciding any game and must surely rank among the best goals of the Scottish midfielder's career.

The following evening, Lyndon Dykes' double helped Queens Park Rangers go top of the Championship and handed Cardiff’s temporary Manager, Mark Hudson, and unwanted defeat immediately before the South Wales derby clash against a resurgent Swansea outfit.

Dykes struck the opener from the spot after Cardiff were reduced to 10 men when Jack Simpson was rather harshly shown a straight red card after just 18 minutes.

The striker doubled the lead before half-time, with Ken Paal heading a third late on in the second half.

In matches under the auspices of the FA and EFL, the Swans have played the Bluebirds on 72 occasions, winning 31, losing 23 with 18 drawn.

In the corresponding fixture last season, the Swans ran out comfortable 3-0 winners:

Turning to Sunday, the Swans recent successful run will mean that they will go into the match as favourites, but current form often means nothing in a derby match.

I’m hopeful that the Swans will run out 2-0 victors, but wouldn’t be surprised if the game ended as a 1-1 draw. <cheers>

2. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Just nervous about this match - as I am every time we play them. I know we are better than them but I can't stomach losing.

I'd love us to do the double double though.

3. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff. I can see them getting a goal so the big question is can we score more than 1. It's got to be a Swans win so its 2-1 for me :emoticon-0148-yes:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    daimungeezer and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  4. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

We'll score 3 again won't we ?

5. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

6. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Hate Derby games, let’s hope for a strong showing. 2-0 Swans.

7. Taffvalerowdy

upload_2022-10-20_21-28-17.jpeg

Darren Bond will be the man in charge of the South Wales derby on Sunday (midday kick-off).

Sunday will mark the Lancashire-based official’s third trip to south Wales this season having already taken charge of league games at the Cardiff City Stadium and in SA1.

He was the referee for Cardiff’s 1-0 win over Birmingham City, handing out five yellow cards with only one of those going to the home team, and was in charge when the Swans suffered a last-gasp defeat to high-flying Sheffield United.

Bond handed out two yellows on that occasion with Matt Grimes booked for the Swans.

He is a very experienced official having spent more than a decade officiating in the EFL, and has been included in the Select Group 2 list since its inception in 2016. He first took charge of a Swans match in 2018.

In total this season, Bond has overseen 11 Championship matches handing out 45 yellow cards and no reds.

He was also the ref last season when the Swans drew 3-3 at home with Bournemouth when Keifer Moore should have been sent off …

On Sunday, he will be assisted by Shaun Hudson and Philip Dermott. David Webb will be the fourth official.

8. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Brilliant Taff thanks mush

3-1 YJB's

9. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Look out time to be afraid Sole Crew on way <party>

Plough 1030 mush :smiley-finger007:

10. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

I have slept on it and I am feeling super confident <laugh> so it's a 3-1 win!

11. Taffvalerowdy

Oh bloody hell ….. <laugh>

daimungeezer and glamexile like this.
  12. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

I'm supposed to be getting the flu jab at 12!! <doh>

Anything but defeat! So.... 2 - 0 Swans :grin:

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  13. Taffvalerowdy

Had mine last Saturday

daimungeezer likes this.
  14. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Haha. My mums new boyfriend bought me a knock off Stone Island jumper from the market and now I’m ‘ard as **** innit.

15. daimungeezer

It's worse, turns out it's 12:30, so I'll miss the start of the second half as well <doh><doh><doh>

Now what excuse will the Mrs fall for... :emoticon-0107-sweat

16. Taffvalerowdy

Start coughing and ‘sneezing’ tomorrow - tell her it’s best to play safe and not have it! <cool>

glamexile and daimungeezer like this.
  17. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Phone and change

18. daimungeezer

Not possible. It's for three of us and all need to be at the same time because of severely disabled daughter. Re-arranging anything with our surgery is a nightmare, as is getting anything sorted in the first place! Can't see the Mrs letting me out of this one <laugh>

55282, glamexile and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  19. Taffvalerowdy

My friend - who sits next to me at the Liberty Stadium - is visiting his son who lives near Perth and they will be at the England match today - says he will be the one with the Welsh flag!

He was gutted when the Swans fixture list came out and he realised he will be missing the Cardiff game tomorrow. <doh>

daimungeezer likes this.
  20. Taffvalerowdy