1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea City v Manchester City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

upload_2021-2-8_12-42-31.png

Swansea City v Manchester City

Competition - FA Cup, Round Five
    Venue - The Liberty Stadium
    Date - 10 February 2021
    Kick off - 17.30

Following their 5-1 demolition of fellow Championship team, Nottingham Forest in Round Four, the reward is a home match in Round Five against PL Champions-Elect Manchester City.

Last Friday night, in a top of the table clash with Championship leaders Norwich City, the Swans ran out deserved 2-0 winners thanks to a goal in each half, the first a poacher’s instinctive strike from Andre Ayew and the second a rasping thunderbolt from loan signing Connor Hourihane.

Two days later, Man City went to Anfield and beat current Champions Liverpool 4-1.

Mo Salah's 63rd-minute penalty had wrestled back momentum for the faltering champions after Ilkay Gundogan - who missed a first-half spot-kick - had made the breakthrough at Anfield shortly after the interval (50).

But two unforced errors in the space of four minutes from Brazillian goalkeeper Alisson allowed Gundogan (73) and Raheem Sterling (76) to dramatically haul the contest - and seemingly the Premier League crown - back in City's favour.

Phil Foden then capped an imperious display with a late fourth (83) as Pep Guardiola’s men continued their charge for the title.

The Swans have played Man City on 36 previous occasions, winning 7, drawing 4 but losing 25.

The teams last met in March 2019 in the Quarter Finals stage of the FA Cup when City came from 2 goals down to somewhat controversially win 3-2: where was VAR when you needed it?

Turning to Wednesday evening, with both teams scheduled to have (more?) important League matches on Saturday - the Swans travel to Yorkshire to play Sheff Wednesday, whilst City entertain Spurs - it is likely that both Managers will ring the changes.

As such, it is even more difficult to forecast the outcome. The Swans could give starting debuts to their 2 USA internationals, Morris and Arriola, as well as to Morgan Whittaker who was signed from Derby.

Given the depth of quality in their squad, Man City must be strong favourites - but so were England and Ireland in the Six Nations this weekend.

That said, I suspect that the Swans will lose 1-3, but I’m hoping for a 3-0 win <laugh>

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  2. Victor

Victor Well-Known Member

Hope your 3-0 prediction is near as good as your write up................well done

3. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

I’d love to be optimistic but I think we will put a valiant performance and think as per Taff a 3-0 loss.

4. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I just hope that if we are on the end of a hammering, it won't effect the confidence we have built up in the league.

I know we have kept a lot of clean sheets so far this season but I feel that better teams would have taken a lot more chances against us.

Manchester City to win by 3 or 4, but I hope the guys remember how we were robbed against them the last time we met and go out for a bit of revenge.

I also think Sterling will dive at least once for a penalty.

5. Rina

Rina Well-Known Member

Not a hope in hell. There’s more chance of Muslims becoming friendly or a vampire bumming a goat

it’s going to be 8-0

TheRealBubbles likes this.
  6. azzuriswan

azzuriswan Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff....heart says we will shock the Mancs by attacking them from the off and win against the odds playing the newbies who they would know nothing about etc...head says a close loss but no embarrassment...

7. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff. I am hopeful we will give them a game but it's a 2'1 win for City I am afraid.

azzuriswan and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  8. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

That's very conservative of you <cheers>

9. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Expectation says a win for them and you can be pretty sure there'll be at least one "dodgy" decision go their way. The ref will favour the darlings (whether he means to or not).

I hope Coops puts out a second string team and give the squad some game time. I think the FA Cup (final) especially has diminished without the crowd.

10. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

Man City tried to beat Cheltenham with a second string team and almost came unstuck. It was only when they brought on the stars that they finally overhauled them.

I don't see either side playing a full strength team but Man City will have enough quality to win in the end. Might be close, 1-2.

11. Taffvalerowdy

If you had the choice:

Win the FA Cup or promotion to the PL?

12. glamexile

In the old days I might gave veered to the cup but these days it has to be the PL.

13. Taffvalerowdy

Agreed <cheers>

But can you imagine those Blueturds if we won the Cup <laugh>

14. azzuriswan

azzuriswan Well-Known Member

Why not a double...then you would see the city of Cardiff imploding....

15. Taffvalerowdy

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

16. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

FA
    For me, right now the Cup , having watched us in all the Divisions 4-1 , winning the league cup and 7 years in the PL then there's only three things left FA cup, PL Champions & Champion's league .The Champion's league is out this year but we have a chance with the FA cup so win it this year , promotion next and winning it and Champions league to finish off the set .

17. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

I’d love to win the FA Cup, but it has to be promotion for me.

TheRealBubbles and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  18. Taffvalerowdy

Referee: Peter Bankes.
    Assistant referees:Adam Nunn & Neil Davies.
    Fourth official:Andre Marriner.

azzuriswan likes this.
  19. glamexile

I will miss the first 30 mins as having my jab at 5.25 so I hope we get our goals just before halftime :emoticon-0100-smile Actually I dont mind when we get them (being positive with plural). The 92nd minute is always a good time to take the lead. If it goes to penalties then I hope Freddie can keep up his impressive pen stats.

20. Taffvalerowdy

Good luck with the jab <cheers>