1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea City v Norwich City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

upload_2021-2-1_13-11-24.png

Swansea City v Norwich City

Competition - Sky Bet Championship
    Venue - Liberty Stadium
    Date - 5 February 2021
    Kick off - 8.15 pm

Following their well-deserved 3-1 victory over Rotherham at the New York Stadium, next up for Steve Cooper’s Swans is a top of the table clash against Championship leaders Norwich City.

At the time of writing, both teams have played 26 matches, with Norwich top of the table with 54 points, 4 points more than Swansea in second place.

However, before the teams meet on Friday evening - in a match scheduled to be screened by Sky Sports - Norwich travel to Millwall on Tuesday evening, and the following night third placed Brentford (2 points behind the Swans) host Bristol City.

Last Saturday, the Swans tightened their grip on second place in the Championship - and closed the gap on leaders Norwich City - with victory at Rotherham United.

Conor Hourihane put the Swans in front with a stylish clipped effort, before Matt Grimes lashed in their second from 20 yards.

Rotherham fought back after the break with substitute Freddie Ladapo heading in from a long throw.

But Swansea withstood a subsequent period of pressure before restoring their two-goal lead as Jay Fulton flicked in just seconds after coming on.

A seventh Championship match unbeaten means the Swans are now two points in front of Brentford in third place, albeit that the Bees have a game in hand.

Whilst the Swans were winning against the Millers, Norwich dropped their first Championship points of 2021 as they were held to a 0-0 draw by Neil Warnock's Middlesbrough.

Of importance to the Swans, Daniel Farke's Canaries had to negotiate the final quarter of the game a man short following Emi Buendia's controversial red card - the fourth of his Norwich career - meaning he will be absent on Friday as he is banned for 2 matches.

The Argentine was sent off on 67 minutes following his challenge in a 50-50 duel with George Saville, to follow his 41st-minute yellow card for clipping Jonny Howson after overrunning the ball.

In a dreadfully uninspiring game of few real chances at Carrow Road, Boro actually had the better openings even before the red card, as they escaped their poor home form with another point on the road.

The Swans have played the Canaries on 57 previous occasions, winning 23, losing 24 and drawing 10.

In the reverse fixture earlier in the season, Norwich ran out 1-0 winners thanks to a late goal by Marco Stiepermann six minutes from time.

Back in 2011, both sides were promoted to the Premier League - Norwich automatically as runners-up to QPR and the Swans via the Play-Offs - and the Swans won the home fixture in April that season 3-0 courtesy of goals from Borini, Gower and Priskin:

Turning to Friday evening, I feel that it’s time for Cooper and his squad to make a statement of intent - the display last week in the 1-1 draw against Brentford was poor, the team needs to step up to the plate and put Norwich to the sword. I’m hoping to repeat the result from 10 years ago and win 3-0, but I’d take a 1-0 victory <cheers>

2. Victor

Victor Well-Known Member

Thanks for printing a great write up again

azzuriswan and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  3. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

That there's fightin' talk boyo! :emoticon-0165-muscl and I like it :emoticon-0116-evilg

2 - 0 Swans.

4. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

5. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

6. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I think we can win this. We were very unlucky to lose in the reverse fixture and I seen nothing for us to be scared of.

Us by a goal

7. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

I’m confident mood so 2-1 Swans

8. azzuriswan

azzuriswan Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff again and I like your positivity again.....we should have won the reverse fixture earlier in th3 season but Lowe was not firing on all cylinders then....if we play like we did against Brentford last week we will lose. We must play on the front foot and give them a grilling then we will win by at least two goals

9. Victor

Victor Well-Known Member

Q.P.R. Just takin the lead 2-1 against Watford.. ......... Final

daimungeezer and azzuriswan like this.
  10. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Great result well done QPR. Now we just need Millwall to beat Norwich and Bristol City to take some points off Brentford

11. azzuriswan

azzuriswan Well-Known Member

And us to beat Norwich....

12. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Which we're undoubtedly capable of . <cheers>

13. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Cheers Taff.

1-1

14. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff this is a game which could go either way. Hoping we break the run against them where we play well but they come away with the points. So its a 2-1win for the Swans

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  15. When Swans are flying

When Swans are flying Well-Known Member

This is a big week for us, 3 deals over the line last night. Important matches midweek affecting our position in the table, then Norwich Friday. Going to be incredibly tough, but I just want us to go at them, no standing back & watching them boss us like against Brentford. Get in In their faces from the off. We’ve made a statement of intent in this transfer window, and more importantly, whilst retaining our top players. With these actions, it must give the squad belief we’re in this for real!!
    Let’s make a statement of intent on the pitch too, go for it YJBs, 2-1 Swans...

16. Taffvalerowdy

Can you imagine the atmosphere if the Liberty was full on Friday evening?

17. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

We have to unfortunately :(

18. Taffvalerowdy

I felt that the boys needed the crowd last Wednesday against Brentford - with the crowd egging them on, I’m sure the team would have soon got stuck in and had been in the faces of the Brentford team....

azzuriswan and daimungeezer like this.
  19. When Swans are flying

When Swans are flying Well-Known Member

Must admit, the way we’ve lived the last year I didn’t even consider that. But when I saw your post Taff, it almost sent a shiver down my spine with the thought of that prospect alone ..<laugh>

Just the sense of anticipation would’ve been tantalising..

20. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I sure Wyndham Evans will make up for it <laugh>

azzuriswan, Victor and Taffvalerowdy like this.