1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

upload_2021-4-18_18-49-12.png

Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers

Competition - Sky Bet Championship
    Venue - The Liberty Stadium
    Date - 20 April 2021
    Kick off - 19:00

Following their disappointing 2-2 home draw against relegation certainties Wycombe Wanderers, next up for Steve Cooper’s Swansea squad is another home match, this time against 10th placed QPR.

On Saturday, the Swans made a dramatic late fightback to claim a point and maintain their slim automatic promotion hopes.

Wycombe Wanderers were on course for a fine victory after Admiral Muskwe and Garath McCleary struck early in the second half.

But Jamal Lowe's penalty and a Liam Cullen header saw Steve Cooper's side snatch a draw.

The Swans are six points behind second-placed Watford, while Wycombe are nine points adrift of safety at the bottom.

Whilst the Swans were drawing against Wycombe, Lee Wallace scored his first Championship goal as 10-man QPR clung on to beat Middlesbrough and leapfrog them in the table.

Wallace headed Rangers into a 2-0 lead inside 20 minutes just after Rob Dickie had rattled in a 30-yarder to open the scoring.

But Yannick Bolasie halved the deficit and Boro stepped up the pressure after Rangers had goalkeeper Seny Dieng sent off for bringing down Duncan Watmore.

Replacement keeper Joe Lumley denied George Saville with a superb close-range stop as the visitors held on for the victory.

The Swans have played QPR on 50 previous occasions, winning 16, drawing 14 and losing 20.

In the reverse fixture that was played on Boxing Day, goals from Ayew and Lowe gave the Swans a deserved 2-0 win:

Turning to Tuesday evening, with Watford travelling to play Champions-elect Norwich at Carrow Road at 6pm, the Swans have the opportunity to close the gap on Watford to just 3 points - not forgetting that the Hornets have still to travel to Brentford and play the Swans in the final game of the regular season.

This really is a must win game for the Swans if they are to sneak into the one remaining automatic promotion spot. To achieve that, they clearly have to play better than they did against Wycombe and that could be a tall order given that Andre Ayew could well be out through injury.

I’m expecting that Steve Cooper will make a few changes and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him reverting to 5-3-2 given Ayew’s possible absence.

On that basis, I expect to see Bidwell included, with Routledge up front in place of Ayew. I also would not be surprised to see Hourihane benched - his form has definitely dipped since he first arrived - although Cooper may surprise us by playing him in Ayew’s role ....

My heart says 2-1 to the Swans but my head says 1-1 <cheers>

2. azzuriswan

azzuriswan Well-Known Member

Thanks again Taff. Another must win game this and hopefully we will

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  3. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Cheers Taff, glutton for punishment me. So going Swans win 2-0.

Taffvalerowdy and azzuriswan like this.
  4. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff. Got to keep positive, so its a 2-1win for me.

5. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

Spurs have sacked Mourinho.

6. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Cooper changed from a winning formula to one which just about got us a draw, I wouldn't care to guess what he'll come up with next .I'm usually positive but it's being sucked out of me ATM .1-1or it could be 2-0 or any other of a hundred permeations

daimungeezer and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  7. LIBERTARIAN

It would be nice, and refreshing, to read something positive about Cooper for a change.

He took the Club to the play offs last season, and will probably equal that achievement in the next few weeks.

That's a damn sight more than the combined might of his constant detractor's have EVER achieved, in their lifetimes.

8. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Not sure what the link is between either us or QPR but thanks for the update

9. LIBERTARIAN

" Not sure " why you bothered to post. But " thanks " for the " thanks ".

My post was football related. This is a football forum, although it could often be more suitably described as ' let's have another go at Cooper ', forum.

At least it kept you off Cooper's back, but only for a short while, I suspect.. <laugh>

10. Taffvalerowdy

Not necessarily correct - people on this Board may have achieved (far) more in their respective careers <cheers>

daimungeezer likes this.

11. Taffvalerowdy

Tuesday’s referee at the Liberty Stadium is Jarred Gillett who will take charge of the Swans for the first time in a home fixture for us – his previous games all being away fixtures for the Swans.

Born on the Gold Coast, Australia. Jarred Gillet emigrated from Australia to England in 2019 and made EFL debut in April 2019.

Part of the Select Group 2 Referee’s list for the 2019/20 season, Jarred was one of the most high profile officials in his home country, refereeing in Australia’s A-League from 2010 to 2019.

Whilst in Australia, he refereed five A-League Grand Finals and the 2018 FFA Cup Final.

He was also famously wired up for his last game in the A-League before heading for the UK and viewers could hear every decision and chat with a player via his links.

It will be his 27th Championship fixture of the season with the previous 26 seeing him yield 83 yellow cards and 2 red cards – the yellow card tally being the highest from any referee this season.

Gillett will be assisted by Paul Hodskinson and Graham Kane whilst John Brooks is the fourth official.

12. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

I feel we missed the boat not beating Wycombe. Coops changed a winning formula and Wycombe were unlucky not to get all the points. That loss of momentum at a crucial time, and Ayew's injury, could be the ice berg in our shipping lane.

No idea what'll happen but I'm far from optimistic :emoticon-0107-sweat (I'd guess a draw, 1 - 1)

13. LIBERTARIAN

Only " may have "? <cheers>

14. LIBERTARIAN

I think " the boat " had already been missed. Too many losses against teams near the foot of the table.

Sadly, Cooper is always in a lose, lose situation here. If he had not changed the team, and they lost, he would be harangued for not changing the team.

It's the old nonsense, viz, "because of him or despite him. "

15. Taffvalerowdy

I can’t speak for everyone else, can I? <cheers>

16. Taffvalerowdy

With Ayew coming off so early, do you think it was right to brings Routs on?

17. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

I disagree, not many would expect him to change a winning team with momentum and confidence.

18. LIBERTARIAN

Why not, you are renowned for it. <laugh>

19. LIBERTARIAN

Why not ? Routledge had done pretty well recently.

20. LIBERTARIAN

It's OK to disagree.

I still feel that Cooper can do no right here. Even when he does right, it's dismissed. Totally unreasonable behaviour, in my opinion.