1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Swansea pubs

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by swantastic, Mar 17, 2012.

1. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

the cuba down the docks, ivorites in the high street, lower lamb dyfatty, the marques fforesfach re-built in a different place. the star ff/fach changed its name and as mentioned the ivirites ff/ach now a clothes shop.....the fairfield cub moved a few feet, the dockers moved from by the museum to St thomas, closed are the murmaid and Vale of neath and the other pub in that area changed its name to hooker dyer. the adelphi has had a few name changes....firking or something or other, the rat and carrot and now back to the Adelphi......there are many more that have gone over the years.....

2. Stid

Stid Active Member

Wasnt that known as 'the flying chair' ?

3. bongojack

bongojack Active Member

...it sure was played many a good darts match against them through the 80s/90s its a fast food outlet now

4. ivoralljack

ivoralljack Well-Known Member

Had many a drink in the "Chair". Went there a lot when Viv Morris (Spiv & The Barrow Boys) was landlord. Brian Breeze used to bring his guitar along on Sundays and they used to jam in the bar. Sadly Viv passed away recently but I have some great memories of the regular chant in the lounge, accompanied by rhythmic hand-clapping and foot stomping of, "They're fighting in the bar again". Great times!!

5. bongojack

bongojack Active Member

bloody hell i used to go then spiv was one of the best

6. doctor love

doctor love Member

what about all the boozer's down the sandfields? someone mentioned the queens and baldi, is the builder's and singleton still open? what the glamorgan/jack/panty/brooklands/new wyndham/robin hood, and what was the one opposite the old club shop?

7. valleyswan

valleyswan Active Member

The builders is still open and I think the robin hood as well, a lot of the old sandfield pubs are struggling now that the vetch has gone, but most of them were grubby ****e holes, albeit a great stop off point before hitting town, had many many happy times in loads of them. Meeting a few mates in the singleton for a reunion in a couple of weeks so that is still ongoing.

8. bongojack

bongojack Active Member

Robin hood still going, so is
    Abertawe alehouse
    Tredegar
    Bond st
    Badminton
    St Helens
    Bay view
    Wyndham
    Panty
    Sea beach
    The brooklands
    The builders
    The singleton
    The westbourne.......and none of them anymore a **** hole than in any other suburb of Swansea. and ive been in the castle in pontardawe lol

9. bongojack

bongojack Active Member

...The Clarence opp the club shop gone,somis The paxton and The glamorgan

10. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

Theres a pub between Penclawdd and Llanrhidian thats a chinese resteraunt now not sure if it was blue anchor or summat ?
    The Waun Wen inn is an office now

11. valleyswan

valleyswan Active Member

There's one up in penlan that is one as well, and in clase it's a takeaway I think

12. bongojack

bongojack Active Member

....Penlan-The Raven-Thai Phoenix , Clase Wildfowler now a fast food place

13. swantastic

Yep and the Thai pheonix does lovely grub the crispy mongolian lamb & chick n cashews in yellow bean sauce is epic:emoticon-0125-mmm:

14. Crackerjack

Crackerjack Active Member

I'd do just about anything to sit in a Swansea pub & make an absolute fool of myself talking when I should be listening . I assume I would make a fool of myself because that's basically what I do at the bar here .

15. swanseaandproud

give me a pie and a pint any day of the week, food has ruined pubs imo, and the no smoking ban has not helped, if you want food then go to a cafe or restaurant and leave the pubs what they are suppose to be as watering holes for relaxing, playing darts or pool or cards and domino's, if you want a snack there are plenty of crisps ,nuts to munch on. I wont go into a pub if all you can smell is food, its not right.....and you are afraid to move in case you step on some kid who is running around like a lunatic while their parents are munching chicken and chips oblivious to their offsprings. No ....Pubs for drinking and cafes for food.....

16. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Number 10, The Buccaneer - both gone. The Borough (at the end of Wind St, where the tramps had a sit in when threatened with closure)

17. swantastic

N0.10 good one PGF had some good times in there with the bear haha.
    Admiral benbow / Neptunes- food place
    Cinderelas - closed

18. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

You are right Dai. But unfortunately, if most pubs didn't turn themselves into restaurants they would have gone to the wall years ago. If you want a good pub these days the best place to go is London - one of the few places where real pubs still exist.

19. swantastic

The pubs went down hill in the 80`s when a lot turned into wine bars and bistros ?

20. swanseaandproud

i beg to differ, food has ruined pubs and the government's over the years. pubs in my day were for relaxing after a hard days work where a pint was something anyone could afford. the pubs were forced into selling food due to price dramatically rising due to the chancellors budget and a way of keeping the working classes in their place. the councils dont help, the charge £10 for a table and £5 for a chair to sit outside on a summers day. its ridiculous and totally unessessary tax on pubs who has seen their profits drop to nothing forcing them to give up and make way for the big chains like wetherspoons and the like, they are not pubs not in the traditional sense of the word. governments and brewers got to greedy and shot themselves in the foot, pubs in my day were a local where communities use to meet, things would be organised for local families like fairs, trips out to the beach and you felt a sense of communal spirit with your local.....sadly all that is gone and now a local is somewhere you go in from time to time if its still there and its virtually empty with no atmosphere before you move on to places like wind street and binge drink as you cant afford to go out more than once a week...