1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea v Bristol City

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Given WBAs charge up the table since sacking Steve Bruce I’m hoping they’ll be more focused on a promotion push than the little old FA Cup
    But who am I kidding ?’

2. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

a cup run adds good money to the kitty... beat WBA and we will be heading for a potential £500k from the cup!

3. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Not a lot of use if we’re relegated, I’d rather concentrate on the league at the moment, we’ve a small squad, and are too near the relegation zone for my liking.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  4. realred1952

there are various lines in the sand and multiple ways to cross or avoid them.
    We are not to know that if we dont "want" to advance in the cup then the next championship scheduled for a cup round means we are without a fixture! [ could be detrimental to our momentum! at the time ] youcan work out all the other combinations should you wish, but for me a cup run would give us belief and some much needed dosh!

manxrobin likes this.
  5. AshtonRed

I just think on balance with such a small squad, the risks out way the possible gains.

6. Angelicnumber16

I still think there are 3 worse teams than us in this division.
    Not many more than 3 I grant you, but for financial reasons alone I'd like us to give it a real go against WBA.

Redprintt likes this.
  7. realred1952

fair comment, [ opinion ] we will never ever know what is right or wrong with decisions made.

8. AshtonRed

We do know that 2 relatively long term injuries to key players, happened at the Swansea FA cup fixture at AG.

9. AshtonRed

It’s difficult isn’t it, I want us to win every game we play, I agree with you about wanting to give it a go, I just worry about the downside if we get injuries, I know I’m kind of contradicting myself, and I can’t have it both ways, I guess I’m torn between the two.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  10. realred1952

had they not been would that have / would that make a difference to your outlook? They may have picked up those injuries had we been playing a championship game ... no one knows how the body works ... muscle could have been at point of rupture or .... andjust needed the moment .....

11. Angelicnumber16

It is
    If it was the LC I wouldn't be that bothered, but despite how it's been messed about with for TV coverage and the like, it still has a bit of magic left in the FA Cup and I'd love to see us in the 5th round. It's been quite a while !
    Was the last time we got to Round 5 when we met Cambridge under John Beck, and every one of their players seemed about 7 feet tall ?!
    We drew 0-0 here and I think we lost the second replay after a 1-1 at theirs initially ? Or did I dream it ?

12. AshtonRed

Of course, however playing in the championship is our bread and butter, had they been injured during a championship game that’s just bad luck, however getting injured in a different competition that prevents them playing in the championship, especially whilst we’ve such a small squad could have a negative impact on our championship form/results. I get your point and I’m sympathetic, but if we get relegated I will personally regret using our main squad in cup games. It we manage to stay up, happy days.