1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tansfer embargo lifted

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Al the Hornet, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Al the Hornet

Al the Hornet Well-Known Member

The Hornets transfer embargo has been lifted and the club will announce the signing of seven new players shortly, the Watford Observer understands.

We understand an administrative error relating to club finances, from before the club's takeover, meant an embargo was in place.

But that has now been lifted and the free transfers of Manuel Almunia and Fitz Hall, and the loan signings of Daniel Pudil, Almen Abdi, Ikechi Anya, Matej Vydra and Steve Leo Beleck, will be announced shortly.

The Football League and Watford both refused to comment on whether the club’s lack of signings was due to a transfer embargo when we asked last week.

When asked why there has been such a long delay in announcing signings, Watford chief executive Scott Duxbury said: “There has been an extensive evaluation process ongoing since the start of pre-season involving a number of players – some of whom have featured in the friendly matches played so far.

“Official announcements and confirmations will be communicated via watfordfc.com, the club’s website, when it is appropriate to do so.”

The Watford Observer contacted the Football League and the Hornets on Wednesday to ask if the club were subject to a transfer embargo due to either the takeover or the Golden Boys’ HM Revenue & Customs bill. Both refused to confirm or deny.

Watford stated the club’s takeover has been fully ratified by the Football League but they refused to comment on whether they have paid their HMRC bill and how much the sum is.

The Watford Observer revealed the club had a pending HMRC bill back in June, but former owner Laurence Bassini denied this was the case.

2. Al the Hornet

Al the Hornet Well-Known Member

Apologies about the missing letter in the title<yikes> I have had a serious word with myself<cry>

3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

"We understand an administrative error relating to club finances, from before the club's takeover, meant an embargo was in place."

Not too sure that I quite believe that for some reason.

It does show just how difficult it is to keep things under wraps these days. The embargo story has been around for some time.

4. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Good news to see we have covered a number of postions that need filling.

Even better that they've had time to gel and get used to each other and Zola's ideas.

5. vic-rijrode

vic-rijrode Well-Known Member

Typos are easily made. I have no poblem with those at all.

6. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

That second paragraph seems to be all that they feel capable of saying with the evidence they have.

7. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

No problems Al. I'm a Grammar Nazi myself - the SS cover spelling. ;)

8. North North Watford

If there was an embargo, it's well and truly over :D

9. hampshirehorn

hampshirehorn Member

10. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

thank goodness for that...what would i have done with the pics of Little Miss Hornette and half these players if they hadn't joined! lol

11. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Ha ha, this will shut the scummer trolls up!

12. North North Watford

Fair play to them for even trying it: non-league obscurity is a difficult place to troll from. At least Rangers fans know that they are on course for three quick promotions.

13. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

the free transfers of Manuel Almunia and Fitz Hall, right we needed a keeper and a defender after Maps and Mirfin went. Hall has Champ experience too. Good news this. Will also help B/B backup keepers develop, I hope.

and the loan signings of Daniel Pudil - left back, with wha seems like some good reviews in pre season?,

Almen Abdi, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almen_Abdi looks like a solid midfielder. How has he been in the games so far?? Anyone know?

Ikechi Anya, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikechi_Anya has a shocking strike rate

Matej Vydra might have potential http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matěj_Vydra

Steve Leo Beleck, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Leo_Beleck will add a bit of height to the other two smaller strikers.

Any better opinions out there?? (basically not made from reading wikipedia 'facts') Cheers guys. Not long now until the new season starts.

14. Mexican Hornet

Also who's gone from our squad this term?

Loach

Mirfin

Mapps

Iwelumo ? Is that it so far?? Cheers, been realy busy and off the site and basically this is a bit of catch up for me. Cheers in advance !

15. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

No-one else gone yet, although Forsyth is rumoured to returning to Scotland on loan for a year. No further news on Iwelumo yet either.

16. Mexican Hornet

Cheers for the info BB <cheers>

17. Mitch_wfc

Mitch_wfc Member

Dont rate Alumina, dont rate Fitz Hall either. Never seen any of the others so cant comment on them but looking forward to seeing them play (hopefully at least 2 of them are quick).

Regardless of who we sign, I wont be happy untill both Iwelumo and Garner are gone.

18. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Iketchi Anya is quick, but he doesn't seem to have a final ball...

19. Mitch_wfc

Mitch_wfc Member

And he's also from Glasgow apparently??? (according to Wiki he is anyway). I wonder if there are any Spaniards called Rab McTavish???

20. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

Reminds me a LOT of Donny.

Manager himself not making most of the signings and unable to think up and implement his own vision.
    Foreign players who won't speak fluent English.
    Huge load of new lads who'll need to integrate into the squad.
    Club effectively being used as a vehicle or platform to further someone else's interests.

Play it like Donny, end up like Donny. That's my opinion.