1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tarts & fickos in football

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Gordon Armstrong, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

It's like anything really if they're good at their job, good.

If they're **** at their job, ****.

There will be more and more women in football in years to come. I

t won't be long before the start making inroads into the coaching world I would think.

Guy Incognito, Wolfy and SAFC2403 like this.
  2. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Frankie is overly keen like, needs to calm down a tad. How micah Richards gets a gig just because he's got a loud laugh is beyond me.
    Think this just goes to show everyone has different tastes and expectations, so the more blander and knowledgeable the better for me.

Guy Incognito likes this.
  3. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

Spot on mate. I really can’t imagine that female managers will get the same level of respect off the players or fans, it just won’t work, but once again it will be another box ticked so expect to see it soon.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  4. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

Women commentating on football? Gerraway. The day that happens is the day I stop watching it. I mean where will it end? Next thing they’ll want to actually start playing the game. Then they’ll want to start owning clubs.
    And once they do that they’ll want the vote. Then they’ll think that they’re good enough to become members of parliament and then one of them will want to become prime minister. Mark my words it’s going to happen.
    Take my advice. If you get a lass who wants to start getting into football commentary just tell her “NO”.
    There’s an old public information film that’s worth watching that puts it all into perspective.

5. Disco down under

Stuff will need to change in locker room behaviour etc.

America is going hard on this. The NFL and NBA have full time assistant coaches who're conspicuous by their lack of extremities.

A bird is refereeing the superbowl this year.

Like it or not, women in sport are here to stay.

6. Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito Well-Known Member

To me the problem is that the BBC, SKY, ITV and so on are reacting to each other and following "yoof" culture, instead of actually getting people in who are good at the job. Personally, I don't care if the commentator or pundit is a man or a woman, so long as they're good at the job, suited to it and informative. What you're actually getting though are people picked to tick boxes, like Clinton Morrison, because the producers and executives think they'll appeal to a particular audience. Most of these will work cheap, which is another bonus, but will then get their mates in, so it be ones jobs for the boys (or girls). SKY see that the BBC have Alex Scott on their shows, so they'll go out and try and get someone to match. Then ITV will do the same, then BT., and so on. And let's be honest, most of the "fickos" wind up in the media because they've not got the brains to do anything else. Not smart enough to go into coaching, couldnt do most jobs in other industries, but can be stuck in front of a camera and microphone for a bit with an earpiece to tell them where to stand and where to look.

What's happening in football and sports presentation has been happening for years in other areas. Zoe Ball was paid a fortune to do the Radio 1 breakfast show because she was a lads mag favourite a few years back, but she couldn't even be trusted to push the right buttons to play the songs or switch off the microphone, her Co-presenter used to have to do that.

7. Gromit

Gromit Well-Known Member

As long as the person is knowledgeable I don't care about their gender. What I don't understand though is the publicity that the WSL gets when the number of supporters is so low and the quality if crap. Why do WSL matches get a bigger billing / more coverage on the BBC website than mens League 1?

8. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

I dont think women should be allowed to manage in a mens game. Its mens football, it's men playing on the pitch, so it should be a man managing as well. And that stretches to anybody who sits within the confines of the dugout. Anywhere away from that, then its fine, you can have women involved. Same with womens football. There should only be women on the pitch and in the dugout. Its womens football. Its a team effort, from the players to the manager to the physio. If they win a trophy then it should all be down to women, there should not be a man involved. Phil Neville should not have been allowed to manage the womens team. Their success, or failure, should be down the the tactical know how and motivation of a woman.

Wolfy likes this.
  9. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

In terms of punditry I have to say that I like Alex Scott as she talks well and sensibly but I feel that the likes of Karen Carney has been given too many high profile games too early. I don't have any problem with women pundits or the new younger pundits but what seems to be failing to be recognized is that punditry is difficult and people generally take a while to develop in that role and get good at it, especially on live games - instead these people are being thrown in to game after game and not really getting the opportunity to learn. I actually think that Karen Carney could develop in to a great pundit in time but let her learn on post match analysis first

In terms of the likes of Chris Kamara and Ian Wright, in my opinion these guys are not selected for their outstanding football knowledge but for their comedy value - they are entertainers rather than pundits. They stop shows being too up themselves and boring and are therefore essential. It's early days yet but I think that Micah Richards is in danger of getting himself that label as well, of course he could be aiming for that!!.

In my opinion Danny Murphy is the best around at the moment but I also like Stephen Warnock and Leon Osman, their analysis of the ManU/Liverpool game last night was spot on.

10. Disco down under

If Megan Rapinoe somehow ends up the England manager in 2066 and breaks our century long wait for a world cup, I don't think it would take away from the team's achievement one bit.

I don't really see a need to segregate the sees in sport. Plenty of other sports rely on inter-sex coach/player relationships.

But, each to their own.

Sunderpitt likes this.

11. Sam Handwich

Sam Handwich Well-Known Member

Does he really need to be wearing Morrissey's glasses to make him look more intelligent.
    On a note related to the male netball, i witnessed a young'un about 10yo come out of his front gate last week and take out of his pocket a skippy rope and proceed to skip merrily away. Flabbergasted was not the word. Unless he's planning on being Heavyweight Champion of the World in the 2030's. By the looks of him though, i think not.

12. BackO'TheNet

BackO'TheNet Well-Known Member

....as mentioed many times before, whether it's a bloke or a lass, it boils my piss when these professional puntids are never corrected after continuously prononcing words which contain 'TH'...as 'FFF' ....ie, commentry re- Cheltenham's expert throw-in expert (v City)

"Ben Tozer's huge frow-in is a weapon !"

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  13. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

But then if a member of the opposite sex is allowed to shout instructions from the bench, then they should be allowed on the football pitch. Should be all or nothing as far as I'm concerned.
    Inter-sex coach/player relationships are fine in single sports. But the womans football world cup should be won by England with Megan Rapinoe not by England with Phil Neville. The manager in football is so influential, on and off the pitch, that I think that, if the sport is split into men and womens, then the split should extend to the manager at least, particularly in elite team sport.

14. Disco down under

Fair enough. Can't say I agree personally.

I just don't see it as that black and white, I'm more than happy for men to coach women and women to coach men without it in any way tarnishing the team's achievements.

Sunderpitt and E.T. Fairfax like this.
  15. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Forget what she says as well???? <whistle>:emoticon-0115-inlov

16. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Completely agree. But I don't mind listening to anyone who is good. Can;t abide John Motson and when he went to talkshite I had to turn off their commentary! If a woman is decent with her footy - much like they are with cricket (Ebony Rainford-Brent is fantastic with the cricket on 5 live sports extra) then there is no issue.

But to put a girl in the seat simply because she's female (which seems to have been the way to some extent) is crazy!

Wolfy, Sunderpitt and Guy Incognito like this.
  17. Guinness Guzzler

Guinness Guzzler Well-Known Member

A big part of it will definitely be their equality drive, they'll want to really push women's football. Also think cost will come into it though. They can't get any rights to league one without getting all of the EFL leagues, which would be a hefty contract. The women's league is probably very cheap in comparison, and even though they're all a bit **** it does have the name recognition of man united and the likes , so it probably ticks a few boxes for them

18. Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito Well-Known Member

Just think about the late 80s and early 90s when the BBC lost the rights to league football. They scrapped football focus and only mentioned football on Grandstand if it was the FA Cup and they had the rights to it. The WSL wouldn't get a look in if say Channel 4 or Sky had exclusive rights.

19. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

When I first started playing golf it was a woman pro who got me started she was very good and got my basics right. Now from time to time I use a male coach, in order to get my turn tight he often grabs my back pocket to get me turning better.. not sure a woman would do that. Also the person for me being an old fart, Anita Sorensom(?), Is my model its an easy rhythmatic movement, I could not now swing like Rory Mc.

Didn't Murray have a female coach for a while.

Essentially gender does not matter results do..

20. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

I'm absolutely sick of people being employed to 'tick boxes' but this is my main gripe . . . . those who can't be bothered to speak properly (and that's all that it is . . . . it's not a speech impediment, it's just being a lazy bastard) <steam>

What makes it worse is the fact that nobody seems to correct these lazy gits, so it's generally accepted, and others, especially young-uns, assume that it's right and copy their laziness :undecided:

When I was a young-un, if I made a mistake with pronunciation somebody would tell me . . . . once, not loads of times, I would just need to be told once. That's how easy it was and should be :emoticon-0148-yes:

I really don't understand why anybody would employ someone that can't be bothered to talk properly when, surely, there'll be someone available that will !

I was really surprised when the BBC let their standards drop so dramatically, employing lazy people like this, but it's now a lost cause, I'm afraid :emoticon-0101-sadsm

p.s. this is not my mate talking now :angel: