1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread team for luton

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

please log in to view this image

2. Zenfootball2

Luton have got the monkey off there back with a win in there last game, and one change to towns team with Anglo starting( dont know if he is fully fit so may not play the whole game) so unless he put on Okenabirhie on as a forward sub which personally i dont think is his best position it will be lewis as sub. holloway not on the bench so still not fit

3. Zenfootball2

really a game of two half's when you are on top and we were for most of the first half you have to put the game to bed and we did not, feel sorry for the team scored twice saved a penalty and we still lose
    luton came out fired up score from a well taken free kick, all credit to anglo for his presence of mind to anticipate what the keeper was going to do to score one of the more bizarre goals.
    towns defence got opened up 2-2 another free kick had a wicked deflection 3-2
    we got punished for giving away free kicks in such dangerous places ,luton deserve credit from coming behind twice to win
    Coleman had no chance with any of the goals and made a terrific save from a well taken penalty by Collins
    Askey brought on substitute and changed the formation to try and break back in the game but we have to look at why we did not win this ?why we failed to defend a lead? why we could not kill of this game when we were on top?
    sometimes s**t happens but as a fan very frustrating .

4. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

Talk about a game of two halves - we played well first half and we deserved the lead even though there were no other real chances for either side. Luton tweaked it second half and were suddenly all over us equalising with a superb free kick. When their keeper had a brain fade and we went 2-1 up I thought it was finally our day. But no we put a lot of men up for a corner, put in another terrible delivery and they break on us and score. That is unbelievably naive defending. The third goal for them was a big deflection but we were giving away far too many free kicks outside the box. I must say our game management under Askey is pathetic - we have no response when the opposition make simple tactical changes. He needs to learn quickly so we can hold a lead ( assuming we can score first) and get the team as a whole defending properly. We have not got the quality up front to play an expansive a tacking game. If we carry on as we are at the moment we will be fighting a relegation battle.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  5. Zenfootball2

6. Zenfootball2

considering the current difficulty in scoring goals we cant afford to take the lead twice and still lose, we are playing in the tin pot trophy on Tuesday and badly need to get something from that as we play Bristol on Saturday who are also struggling

7. greenhousmeadowman

I think you are being kind to Askey, Zen. To my mind a manager who is starting to slate his players is on the slippery slope already. The main problems at the moment are the lack of tactical awareness and the very poor set-plays. Both these are solveable with the right coaching team in place. The coaching needs to be much better - at the moment it is not a patch on that provided by Hurst and Doig.

8. Zenfootball2

The buck stops with him and yes we should not be conceding so many soft goals , it is a disappointing start to the season i like to see how the team are after 12 games but if we get nothing from the next two games i would imaging the pressure will really increase.
    i agree with you about having a go at players it is not something i like to see. Grahame Turner lost the dressing room and that with a poor run resulted in him leaving.
    i still think we have the makings of a decent team ,whilst i think alex is a good winger he is still learning and i think Ferjiri could do a better job.

9. greenhousmeadowman

As all the losses so far have been by a single goal clearly we are not yet a basket case but you could see the confidence melting away in the second half yesterday. We do not seem able to retain the ball well in midfield or upfront and that is causing problems for our defence. On the plus side I thought Angol was quite good considering how isolated he was - such a shame he could not put away that late chance which came from our one decent cross in the whole game which was provided by Haynes. Saturday is a massive game for us and Askey in particular - he got a lot of good vocal support from the travelling fans but he needs a win desperately. I know we are not a sacking club but if September is as bad as August has been I cannot see him surviving it.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  10. Zenfootball2

seen the goals not good watching whilst the keeper had no chance, there no 7 should never have that much room or time in the box, third goal wall failed to do its job, i know teams dont do this anymore but someone on the post could have stopped the third goal, emphatic penalty from Whalley and quick thinking from Angol.
    really need to stop giving away so many free kicks in dangerous areas and corners both of which just invite pressure.

11. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

12. Matster

Forum Moderator

A shame we didnt take the three points, the first half gave us that opportunity. The second half we were the poorer side no doubt. Coleman's penalty save being the highlight of that half.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  13. Zenfootball2

another game were we did not finish the game off when we were on top and gave away a soft goal

14. greenhousmeadowman

Worrying words from Askey in the Star saying "as long as I am manager". Seems like he is feeling the pressure already. While I have been critical of him on this forum I will give him and the team my vocal support at the games. There is still time to turn it around but he has to improve his tactics and going to 4-4-2 to give the left back more protection would improve things for a start. Even a win tomorrow would be a confidence boost for Saturday and I would hope we play a strong team or try out Somme new tactics we could take into Saturday.

15. Matster

Forum Moderator

He needs time and so do the players. We haven't been crap just lost games with sloppiness that can be sorted out.

Floreat Salopia!

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  16. Zenfootball2

yes they can be sorted out if Alex continues on the wing he must track back more, i dont know what the answer is with regards to the last third, we look dangerous going forwards but dont create enough chances, and when we do we dont seem to be able to clinical in front of goal..