1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team sheet Tactics & Formation

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Buckyohare, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

As distinct from transfers and who we want in/out what do we think of the selections abs the formation and tactics?

Palace was our first glimpse and I’m wondering how Piggot and Norwood can work together where there’s only one out and out striker position?

1. Naiala named as captain. Is this our first choice defender and we’ll sign weaker options for backup? Making someone captain is quite a statement of belief in them.

2. KVY and Burns look a great right side of the team. Class.

3. Where is Fraser going to be played? Stuck on the left isn’t great.

4. is there a role/future for Nolan? Which position?

Spanish likes this.
  2. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Midfield has, for me, been our achilles heel for quite a few years now. We have been way too powder puff in this area, too slow and zero creation. Now.....i think we have the makings of a bloody great midfield and with decent back up too.
    Can't wait to see what happens this season!!

fieldmarshall likes this.
  3. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I like the majority of the business Cook has done bringing in players who have got good credentials for this division (not just potential) and of a good age. However there are still some big holes which for me will determine the formation and who is captain.

In my eyes we still need at least 2 CBs another LB, at least 1 more CM (unless Downes comes back into the picture), at least 1 more winger and potentially another striker.

I'm not adverse to playing 1 uptop particularly now as I think we have more than 1 striker to do that now (although don't think we have the wide forwards yet) but I've yet to see a town team play well and create alot of chances with just 1 striker. I do like the 532 formation but we'll need at least 5 good CBs competing for a starting spot with the majority being ball playing CBs plus 4 good strikers competing against each other.

4. Buckyohare

So you think he’ll move away from 4321 and go for a 4312? It’s the only way to get both strikers on the pitch I suppose.

hiwever he’s seems to like a press style where there’s one point man and two wide forwards that fly at pace when a mistake is forced. and a no10 to cause havoc in possession. Burns seems nailed on as the right sided forward with piggot up top and Fraser behind IF we can get a left sided forward. Enter that loanee from boro and/or Celina…

it would be a helluva front line with Nolan as back up but we’d still need some more wide forwards to have th necessary depth in the squad. Which is gonna cost…

and as ITFC says we need CB’s that can play the ball…and back ups…

it’s a great style but it’s seriously testing on a squad and hard to assemble the right players even with all the new signings to date.
    5 weeks left of the window so we have time…

5. Buckyohare

Ashton said in the forum more players were coming in and Cook said his preferred formation is indeed 4231 so as things stand I’m expecting the team to line up with

Gk Holy (joking…)
    LB Penney
    RB Kvy
    Cb Edmundson
    Cb Nsiala
    Mid Evans
    Mid Harper
    Rw Burns
    Am Fraser
    Lw Chaplin
    Cf Piggot

obvs we have great cover/ options in attack with Norwood Bonne and Dobra. There is Nolan too who will be much better for us under cooks system.

im wondering where the cover is in midfield…Nolan can play here I guess.

im wondering where the cover is in defence after Wolfy…burns can play wingback so that lb position is the issue.

im dreading the cover in goal…

Nuggets likes this.
  6. itfcptc

You're right I still think we're short in midfield with probably at least 2 more centre midfielders required to have some depth in that are unless Downes works his way back into into first team picture.

In addition to this unless if Kenlock and Jackson are our of the picture I think we'll need another striker and LB.

Additionally whatever the picture we need at least another CB and another wide forward/winger

7. Spanish

Think we deffo need 2 more CB's, another cm and another striker

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I am going on second hand opinion but a piss poor pre-season I am hearing and a heck of a long way to go to put a side together. Then again, friendlies mean very little.

I don’t think it will be miles away from the side today starting next week. We need more cover at the back but I would not worry too much about the defensive side at our level with the players we already have. I think it’s all going to be about whether we can find goals.

9. Spanish

With signings still to come....i have no worries at all and am convinced we will go up

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

This is what happens when you have sunshine instead of overcast skies all summer!

11. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

And enough Rioja!

Spanish likes this.
  12. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Wouldn't argue with that starting eleven, Bucky. For the Morecambe match, I'm not sure if we'd start Edmondson and I think Fraser is an injury doubt for the weekend. However, on paper, that starting eleven (obviously without Holy) is the strongest we can field right now.

I'm not dreading Holy as a back up, as I'm hopeful we won't realistically need him and he can play in the Pizza Cup for all I care. I do think we need at least one central midfielder, one centre-back, and potentially better back up at left-back (in particular) and right-back. We've got Nolan and hopefully a reinvigorated Downes as central midfield options, but I'm guessing Downes will depart as he seems to have downed (pun intended) tools.

Buckyohare likes this.
  13. Bigalreigned

My priority would be an experienced CB to properly organise the defence,we’ve been missing that sort of character for the best part of a decade.

TopBunk, Roystonblue and itfcptc like this.
  14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I think a decade is harsh. This was Chambo for me, but we are going back 4 or 5 years now even for him at his best.

15. Bigalreigned

Jason de Vos was the last real leader I can remember,Chambers never really cut it for me as an organiser.

itfcptc likes this.
  16. itfcptc

Agree we need an experienced head at the back, Woolfenden and Nsiala certainly aren't that. A De Vos type player next to Woolfenden would be ideal but not someone over the hill.

Chambers was a leader but you're right not an organiser or a calm head under pressure. He probably like too many leaders at the club over the years took more responsibility than he needed to and that reflected in his performances. I'll be honest I only recall Chambers having 1 good season at CB and that I believe was Micks first when he formed a partnership with Smith.

Other than that leaders at the back, no one overly stands out maybe Berra would have been if Chambers wasn't around and McAuley had 1 outstanding season where he also showed good leadership qualities.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  17. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Gareth McAuley? Christophe Berra? Not quite Jason De Vos standard, in terms of leadership, but definitely vocal presences and leadership material.

18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

McAuley was like an absolute bartering ram. Guaranteed to get his head in the ball. Berra was soft if you ask me. Tommy Smith was even way ahead of him for me.

Chambers was a fantastic defender in his prime but an absolutely horrible footballer.

With all the captains and leaders, if you didn’t lead your team to success then how can you say you did a good job? Chambers did as well as any of the others post-Burley.

19. Bigalreigned

I was really talking about someone who could marshal a defence,talk a younger defender through learning their trade,decide when to push out and drop back and read how a game was developing.Not a CB but Mills epitomised that role for me and, of course,my namesake who was instrumental in the development of our best defences.

itfcptc and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  20. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I got your point but I think that is not only about age and largely goes hand in hand with the quality of the defender and their ability to read the game and lead by example. Some characters are just not vocal and others are. Woolfy could probably do this better than Nsiala who is 29.