1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team vs Leeds

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Captain Morgan, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Interestingly, Leeds made Uwe Rosler the latest man through their revolving door of managerial sackings, just a few days before they come to the Cottage. Whether that's a good thing (Leeds in disarray) or a bad thing (everyone trying extra-hard to impress the new man, whoever he may be) remains to be seen. I rate Rosler, so I'm leaning towards it possibly being a good thing for us.

It sounds like the team did a good job on Saturday, so maybe minimal changes. Ream could come back in if he's fit again, and left back could see Husband return for Garbutt now that he's not facing his parent club. With Cairney still (I think) suspended the front six will probably be unchanged. The biggest question is whether Lonergan is fit enough to play. Fingers crossed.

2. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, Leeds have signed Steve Evans, who left Rotherham in unexplained circumstances last month, to replace Rosler.

please log in to view this image

And meanwhile, chairman Massimo Cellino has tonight been hit with a second Football League ownership ban. Cellino’s future as majority shareholder at Elland Road is in grave doubt again following this fresh disqualification imposed on him as punishment for his conviction for tax evasion in Italy in June.

And Leeds have lost their last 3 games. You can see where this is going ....

FFC_Madness likes this.
  3. Captain Morgan

I really didn't see Steve Evans getting that job. I can't see this ending well for Leeds, but you're right Cottager, everything is in place for us to step on a massive banana skin tomorrow night. On paper everything is pointing out way and yet...

FFC_Madness likes this.
  4. Cottager58

As seems to be the norm these days, no midweek press conference from Kit. We know Cairney is still unavailable and Lonergan has to be a serious doubt. Otherwise all seem to be fine, including Ream and of course Husband is back in contention. The biggest question for Kit is whether he rotates, especially in midfield, given that the Reading match is close on the heels of this one and they have an extra day's rest. Within that, he has a few little conundrums to consider first:

* Richards or Fredericks at RB – I think we all know his favourite, Jazz, will win out
    * Burn or Ream to partner Stearman at CB – Dan had a great game against ‘Boro and, in my view, will only get better as he learns through the experience/mentoring of Stearman. Afraid he’ll be the fall guy on this one though and Kit will revert to Ream.
    * Husband or Garbutt at LB – have only seen the highlights of the ‘Boro game and it worried me that Garbutt when beaten, sometimes too easily, then only ambled back towards the penalty box. Husband for me.
    * Dembele or Smith up front –there has to be a temptation to pit Smith and McCormack against their old team. However, am unconvinced that Matt is yet match fit but wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the bench.

So to the meat of the matter – midfield. Does he rest the likes of O’Hara and Pringleand go pretty much like for like, in favour of Parker, who was on the bench at the Riverside, and Kaca? Or does he tweak the format slightly, bringing in Matilla as central defender with a forward looking midfield of Garbutt, O’Hara and Pringle; resting Tunnicliffe and LVC. One thing I’m sure about is that Evans, with no time to get to know his new players, will instruct them to rough us up – why change a lifetime; that’s the only style he’s ever known. So Kit needs to make sure we’re set up to be strong and resilient early on. To me that rules out Parker and Kaca from the starting line-up, so in fact the options are fewer and clearer.

Reckon he’ll go with –

……………………….Lewis……………………
    ..Richards………Stearman….Ream……..Husband…….
    ………………………Tunnicliffe…………..
    ….Fredericks…………O’Hara……………Pringle….
    …………………….<McCormack>………
    ……………………………Dembele………………..

5. Cottager58

Tim Ream has been ruled out apparently. So Dan Burn it is, and revised line-up of:

………………………....Lewis……………………
    ..Richards………Stearman….Burn.........Husband…….
    ………………Tunnicliffe…..…O'Hara……..
    ….Fredericks………….......……………Pringle….
    …………………….<McCormack>………
    ……………………………Dembele……………..

6. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

You've got to play Lasse, he looked great at Middlesbrough. I've only watched the highlights though.

7. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

8. Cottager58

Presume all the sniffs and gulps were down to a cold and not internal pressure (Khan's in Town tomorrow) to get the results that, as he said, "keep him in gainful employment".

9. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

I don't think Leeds are as bad as they look on paper at the moment, firstly they have a few very good players in Byram, Cook and Antunucci, also I watched there live game away to Boro on tv and they looked good....? Yes I know they lost 3-0 but it was one of those games where Leeds had more possession, more shots, more shots on target the shoreline was not a reflection of the game secondly when yet equalised against league leaders Brghton last week I remember all the reports stating it was a very much deserved equaliser.....
    Having said all that I desperately want to beat Steve evans he is horrible

10. Captain Morgan

Didn't Steve Evans manage Ben Pringle at Rotherham? If so, at least we've got someone inside the camp (and probably on the pitch) who can make sure everyone else knows what to expect.

11. Cottager58

As you say Cookie, they will be no pushover. They have pretty much the same team that took us out 3-0 at the Cottage in March this year - actually it was a game that could have gone either way and arguably we had the percentage of the play: the basic difference was that they took their chances and we didn't.

Let's hope Mac and Co are the one's with their shooting boots on tonight.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  12. Cottager58

I think everyone already knows what to expect Captain. This is what Evans told the press today -

“There are some very talented boys here," he said. "We just want to see a little bit more aggression – channelled aggression – in our play and a little bit more passion.

As a wee boy growing up, when Leeds United came to Glasgow Celtic they always played with wonderful passion. We have to create that here.”

I well remember the Leeds team of that era (the late 60s/early70s) under Revie. Their mantra was, "get your retaliation in first" and "if it moves, kick it".

13. Fred's Cultured Left Foot

Why does it feel that we are not realising our potential. If the last 2 games had been wins then we would have been just outside the playoffs. Add all the points we have thrown away near the end and we would be comfortable contenders. Instead we are 4 points off the relegation zone. We had a good window, so why???

Something has to change - perhaps it is the manager.

14. Cottager58

The pre-match stuff set the scene when the lovlies with the ROAR stood still waiting on the music to start, unsure whether to wave their pom-pom tassels or sit on them. And Fulham duly followed. We were hesitant, got in each others way and unlike the ROAR lot had no shape at all.

Dreadful, dreadful performance. We were so weak on the left side: Pringle seemed scared of the ball and goodness knows what Garbutt’s definition of defending is. Mind before Fredericks came on, and showed some proper forward running pace, we weren’t much better down the right. With Leeds having the game plan of smothering O’Hara our midfield was non-existent. Could go on but frankly I can’t be a***d.

Enough is Enough!

A big thank you however to Joe Lewis for saving a point (on numerous occasions) and really bad luck with the penalty (given away stupidly by Pringle) which amazingly could have given us a very unjust three.

15. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Not good, I was expecting much better.

They were up for it, their fans were up for it and we were shocking. The Dembele goal was a piece of individual skill and fortunately tucked under the goalie. Pringle was poor as was Garbutt and the rest were average at best.

Far to slow to build an attack, I just can't understand it.

Did not see why the penalty was given but no-one seemed to complain so must have been a right decision. Thank goodness for Joe Lewis who kept us in it and got us a point.

Fredericks has got to start on Saturday too.

16. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

We were devoid of anything resembling a midfield player, all 4 were pathetic, they kept on passing the ball to the opposition, I'm sure Symons doesn't train them to do that in training. Why Fredericks wasn't started I don't know, he seems the only player who plays wide that can take on fullbacks and cross a ball. Praise for Lewis who gained us the point, and also thought Stearman and Burn played well, but that's about it. Garbutt and Richards were poor, their passing was poor.
    Think the booking for O'Hara means he misses the Reading game, so guess Parker might get a game.

17. Cottager58

He does and he will. Which is going to suit Kit down to the ground since he can make his obligatory substitution at 62 minutes.

18. FFC_Madness

FFC_Madness Well-Known Member

Every time I have been to the Cottage this year our performances have been dreadful. The only take home from last night is the clear message from the Johnny Haynes stand... Kit out or do the decent thing and resign.

19. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

Another poor performance, and as Fed said there are some talented players in the team
    (and the reserves), but lets face facts Kit has not got the technical ability to formulate
    any technical innovations. Go now yes, but if we fail. to gain more than 2 points in the next
    2 games then it must be the chop.

20. Cottager58

Even if we get 2pts in those two games, as I said in the "Black and White Decision" thread, it will be too late. For the second season in succession it will be all over before the clocks are turned back.