1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

That so called pundit Lawro!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by lewebster, Mar 28, 2013.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Some aware chap did mention that Chelsea had 11 internationals on the pitch today. Isn't that pause for thought then..?

2. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Perhaps Pochettino's "All Southampton players should be internationals" has something to it!

3. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

I think people need to take his statement into context. I hate the bloke and think he is probs the worst pundit but....

.....Saints have a team where international breaks mean a few players off on international duty and experiencing 'normal' pre match routines, where the majority are in training for 2'ish' weeks.

Chelsea have a team where virtually the whole of their first and 2nd 11 are off on international duty 'experiencing a normal pre match routine'.

Therefore it could be construed that the latter team's players are likely to be more match practised than the former and that could mean a bit of an advantage especially as latter team's players tend to play for the more succesful international sides.

Claridge is a wierd one. He is the most boring mundane 'personality' on TV but no-one can argue with his knowledge or even reasoning the majority of the time. You agree with most things he says or at least can understand what he means BUT his persona and obsessive style tends to mean you walk away and boil the kettle when he is speaking.

One plus which has (IMO) meant he has been 'withdrawn' from service over the last year is that when QPR won the Championship he was slated by their fans throughout that season. His blogs (which were discontinued after that Championship win) had comments sections pages long from QPR fans berating him for championing Norwich and not devoting whole pages to QPR.

Remember that QPR fans seem to be so proud that they are the darlings of the media, that more of the world is interested in them than most of the bottom half of the Prem and also the obvious media love-in with QPR highlighted by Lawro's astounding predictions and only inflated more by Twitchy becoming the manager then I think you can virtually write off any chance of Claridge getting a top job. Even forgetting his persona, he finds himself on the outside of the QPR love-nest the BBC seems to have and is better off out of the 'nod, cliche, quip' elite.

And I'm still waiting for Garth's eyes to explode. lol.

Can't stand Lawro, but can understand the prediction as well as his reasoning (for once)

4. ImpSaint

Oh and to be fair to Shearer, he and Hansen are loving Saints at the mo. No 'opponents having a bad day' from either of them. They both give Saints credit each time. The only 2 admittedly.

Can't wait for Saints to get where they are going (fingers still crossed) so I can see those pundits like Lawro, Crooks struggling to get words of praise to pass their lips.

5. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

Saying that, was I imagining things or did the post-match discussion not even mention Lambert's goal, or show it again? Surely it deserved a bit more credit than that!?

6. GoSaint

GoSaint Active Member

Apparently not :smile:

Good old Lawro doggedly predicts a Saints loss. I do think it could be scrappy, and we didnt do well against Reading last year, but we can def take something.

7. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

True, but we have strengthened a lot and they, to put it bluntly, have not.

#42 Active Member

Imagine if Lawrenson was a gambling man. It would end in tears very quickly.

9. GoSaint

GoSaint Active Member

No denying that. Strengthened and improved. Just don't want a QPR style disappointment.

10. AshbySaint

AshbySaint Well-Known Member

When rangers played us they played to a game plan, which was to stop us playing, and to do that they were very cynical- rugby tackles, pretend injuries, physical tackling, time wasting. They did everything. A horrible team and I hope they go down.

I am sure that tomorrow will be hard but I can't see Nigel being that cynical and negative, so the game should be more open.

11. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

As a measure of his football knowledge, the table showing his predictions has seven teams on under 30 points instead of the two that are really in that position. The man's a joke.

Vin

12. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Judging by his beard on MOTD, I'd assumed it already had.

13. ImpSaint

Lol. can't stand him but he has more points from predictions than those that challenge him every week. They are even worse than him :)

14. TheSecondStain

Not every week. There are plenty who are above him. However, his performance rating is based on his week-after-week selections, instead of their on-offs, so perhaps he can take credit from that. I'd like to see how good or bad anyone's tipping performance would be over a season. I wonder if it would be appreciably better or worse..?

15. ImpSaint

Sorry but I have to wait for nigh on an hour to scream and spit at Lawro. Hope Shearer decks him. He looks a bit worried.

How are we on last?

16. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Because the other games were better. Simple.

17. ImpSaint

Do I need to stand back from the screen or can LCDs take a bit of spit. I can already feel the Saliva building and if he starts erring and arring rather than give us a compliment I fear for the electrics.

18. TheSecondStain

I was wondering about texting the programme just to see if it got on the screen. Something like... Accurate prediction Mark..! 2-0 Saints.

19. ImpSaint

I've been drinking red since 5-40 and 2 bottles of Shepherd Neame Spitfire to go. Not sure I could text anything other than Lawro you're a **** proactively assuming that Lawro's is going to agree with Alan by simply squirming and uttering 'hmmmph'.

20. ImpSaint

Credit for that quip on Mertesacker. Looks like he's pulling an old fridge

Maybe I'm warming to the guy ;)