1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

That's it sorted then - Or not

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by nickyb, May 24, 2017.

1. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Who are Us??
    That is a handsome cat

2. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ok

3. ricc full

ricc full Well-Known Member

You asked for a change of manager and you got it. Enjoy peeps.

4. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

And you were happy/content/optimistic to carry on under Hughes then?

5. ricc full

The problem is in reality nobody else would want the job. We are in the relegation zone, can't score goals, conceding more goals than any team in any top flight league in Europe. There is no money to spend until we sell and let's be honest nobody is going to buy Berahino, Diouf, wimmer, the list is endless. Its now painfully obvious that Hughes had no say in who we signed (as we have signed 2 players since he was sacked) .In my opinion Stoke fans have become very very unrealistic with who we are. As we run our club our natural position in the league is around bottom 7 so we are always at risk of relegation but this does not excuse some of the very poor performances we have had. Our club is run as it should be as a business and not like most others in the prem like just a "play thing". I'm very proud that we are one of the very few clubs left who try to make ends meet and I wouldn't want to change that for anything. Personally I would have left Hughes in charge until the end of the season and hope we would stay up as this appointment has obviously been a rushed mess whereas in the the summer we could have had more leverage with us not being in the situation we are in. As it is we have Lambert and all we can do is back him, however I think that the players need to take a long hard look at themselves because most of the blame for the position we are in lies at their door.

nickyb likes this.
  6. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

<applause> Great post Ricc,

Believe it or not I agree with a lot of what you say, except that (in my opinion) Hughes may not be 100% culpable for the current situation, BUT he was the Manager of our football club and as such has. been in charge/responsible for the dross served up over the last 18 months. Regarding signings, did he just accept the signings of Imbula, Wimmer and Berahino?? Cannot see Hughes as a nodding dog/yes man type. The whole of the club has been complacent and believe that "self-sufficiency" is achievable in the PL.

As you say, the players need a rocket uo their backsides, quite a few have a dreadful attitude and should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves, somehow doubt it though. Happy pocketing £50K per week and sod the shirt.

Whilst this is an admirable ambition, it is, I'm sure that you will agree, that in this day of TV monies etc, it is an unfortunate impossibllity.

I sincerely wish it was not so, what 4 seasons ago we were widely regarded as a role model of a well run club...then the deluge of money scuppered that ideal.

Regarding the appointment of Paul Lambert, the whole scenario was rather embarrassing, just shows the general incompetence at board level.

Whatever Ricc, we have no alternative but to get behind the team AND the manager, and I will gladly do so
    <cheers>

7. ricc full

To be honest Nicky I'm very angry with football in general. The love I had a few years ago for this beautiful sport has long gone. Money, money, money that is what it's all about. The poor people pay such ridiculously high prices just to fund a tiny percentage of overpaid, arrogant self centred players. In 2 seasons time all games (even 3pm games) will be televised and with apple and amazon coming in yo make bids some players will be on £1 million a week.

I do agree that unfortunately by trying to run our club the right way will see us relegated, if not this season then within the next 3. If I've offended anyone recently (I haven't been on much lately because of reasons above), then I apologise. As you all know I wear my heart on my sleeve but unfortunately my love for football in the prem is slowly fading. Let's hope Lambert can turn it around

nickyb likes this.
  8. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Amen to that my friend

9. Smithers

Forum Moderator

I think my take on the whole thing is a little less favourable. It’s difficult to criticise Coates outright and as I’ve said many times, it’s very difficult for a football fan to run his club as a business man - the two are at odds.

To this day I don’t believe Coates sacked Pulis, I believe they were mutually at odds of the way the club was moving (probably related to Coates junior), especially with the academy investment and Cartwright. So for me, if Coates did sack Pulis he was strong armed, either way it raises concerns on decision making and it was a season too late.

I didn’t think Hughes was a good choice but the first 3 seasons were a breath of fresh air.
    I don’t think Hughes had control over the transfer policy, but left himself exposed by claiming credit for good signings and not raising the issues.
    Hughes should have gone in the Summer, or at worst the international break.
    Hughes should not have persisted with a system that was doomed to fail, that was negligent and biarderline sabotage - very Pulis like
    Based on the debacle of finding a replacement it was obvious the club never had any intention to forward think.
    To make the argument that because the club were ill prepared and unwilling, they lost the option to appoint a better replacement and hence should not have changed when they did, is likely comparing Hitler to Genghis Khan.
    I don’t blame Hughes I blame the board, if they are not willing to run the club effectively, they should sell.
    The recruitment team is very wasteful which affects any manager.

10. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Another great post.
    I think we are all singing from the damr hymn sheet on this issue.

Interesting take on Pulis, anf yes, a fan and a businessman is a toxic mixture.

Hey ho, lets see what today brings!!

11. ProudPotter

ProudPotter Well-Known Member

We are where we are so let's see how things go from here. I would not have gone for PL but if he can organise things better than Hughes did and get some fight from the team we could yet escape from the bottom 3 at the end of the season. Brighton are currently losing to Chelsea so a win for us today would take us level with them......but, oh, our goal difference!!!! Need to improve that no end or it could be the difference between staying up or sinking.

12. Smithers

Forum Moderator

3 points & a clean sheet - great start. Suprised by the lineup today, BMI being dropped, Fletcher starting etc. However, I will judge PL after the transfer window when he has a final squad to choose from.

13. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

14. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Hindsight eh!!

15. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Pppfffffff.....

16. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Thank **** you're going down if that's what you call football

17. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser
    And if you cannot beat Stoke, what does it say about your lot

ricc full likes this.
  18. astro

astro Well-Known Member

It says we can relegate you while resting players for the CL where we're going to the final <ok>

19. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Relegated in all but name before today, but if thaf makes you any happier, that's just fine by me.

Having said that, I sincerely hope you do go on to fhe CL final...and win.

It takes a special type of person to find pleasure in someone teams misfortune AND come onto their board and gloat.

But...scousers always are classy

ricc full and swanseaandproud like this.
  20. ricc full

What a tit