1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

That's that then, let's get back to the football.

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Dec 24, 2022.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Time to reset, sort out the chaff, and get on with rebuilding and energising the Team.
    We've had a good old break, time to see who's who among the ranks, and hope that Potter is now ready to impose himself on the style and play we'd all hoped he'd bring.
    Fresh start, everyone in the frame, let's see how things pan out before the transfer period once again disrupts things. Good luck to all.

ps Have a great Christmas day wherever you are.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2022
  2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Potter out?

Happy New Year.

3. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t say so but the more time passes the more ridiculous it seems that we sacked Tuchel AFTER we did our transfer business in the summer.

Signed about 7 players in the summer but I’m not sure any of them would’ve been picked by Potter.

Treble likes this.
  4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

From what I've seen rumoured, Boehly was intent on getting him out but needed a reason and did so when the results went bad?

I like Potter, think he's a good manager but this squad doesn't suit his style.

But then, I rated Tuchel as well and don't think he should've been sacked. And this squad did suit his style.

Diego likes this.
  5. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

Yeah I can believe that. Potter seems more of a yes man, I think Tuchel had his own ideas and tbf I wonder how much of a say Tuchel actually had on transfers, it was an odd approach.

We’d be better off now with Tuchel in charge, I’ve never understood the timing of sacking him. Potter needs a chance for sure but he needs another 8-10 players and he needs to bin off about the same amount!

6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

What's interesting is that Boehly is a bit of an unknown. At least with Roman you knew exactly how he operated and where you stood. There was a system - managers were backed with money, you had a network of feeder clubs and youth out on loan who you could cherry pick to keep or sell, and there was no real hesitancy in sacking the manager and then bringing in the next guy... and tbf you were one of the few clubs where this worked as you consistently acquired trophies.

In fact, with many clubs like with United, having a long-term manager meant when they leave the club spends years trying to find itself again.

I'd say give Potter time, write this season off if you have to, then give him the money in the summer and let him build his own team. Maybe Boehly will do that or maybe he'll do a Roman - just feels a bit unstable atm.

7. Chelsea Pensioner

i agree with your ending paragraph especially. Thing is, wrote off this season ourselves by sacking Tuchel after buying players to suit him. Dumb as dumb gets in my book. Can't say I'm as enamoured with Potter as the management seem to be. OK he made Brighton look like a better team than they are, but failed totally to get us up against them, even knowing their strengths .Hardly the tactics of a great tactician. I think his selections are often poor too, why for instance did Chalobah , with Silva our stand out defender, not start ?? He's quick, attack minded and everything that Dave and Cucurella aren't. As for Boehly, who knows? No lack of confidence, despite what he has achieved, ie wasting 200 odd million and seeing us play like a pub team.Hope he's a quick learner. As John Lennon sang,
    "They say you got a real solution, well you know, we'd all like to see the plan ", cause no one can work out what it is.

8. Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys

Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys Well-Known Member

Potter needs time. Pep himself said it after our loss at City. What you have to realise is you have to make a huge cultural and organisational shift to see improvements on the pitch. It’s not just “play this way and we win.”
    Trust needs to be built, muscle memory needs to be developed for tactical aspects. Time and understanding for particular methods needs to be grown. Potter didn’t get his job because they think he’s a wizard. He got it because he’s demonstrated he can deliver a type of football that gets results. How long did it take him at Brighton? Expectations need to be managed. Yes, this season is a writeoff but we should be looking to the next and making improvements towards the end of this one.

9. Chelsea Pensioner

I do agree with you however the one thing not mentioned is that it is not usual that a team goes into such a decline before starting to improve. Loos to me as if Potter himself needs time to improve his tactics ,selections and motivation skills. Not what I expected, but there it is. Anyway, there is movement at the station, a load of young talent being signed, now if we can just sort out our defence, midfield and attack, then away we go. Certainly keeps one interested.