1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 115th US Open from Chambers Bay

Discussion in 'General Betting Board' started by SaveTheHumans, Jun 14, 2015.

1. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Some tour pros play for 35 years without ever winning an event let alone have 3 PGA tour wins along with a Major aged 21 along with 2 other professional wins in Australia and a Hero challenge event. Just to put it into perspective a bit. The fact he's challenging almost every week is testament to his talent. If you offered 90% of the pros 1 victory a year they'd snatch your hand off. No one will dominate like Tiger did again but Spieth's consistency the past 24 months has people believe in he can.

2. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

As I have said I don't doubt the guys talent, he's been unbelievable for his age, I just wouldn't touch him at a favourites price when he's tied for the lead, as he often doesn't carry it through.

He may have a good few wins, but he has a lot more 2nd place finish, as like I've said I don't think he plays at his best when pressurised.

This is not me doubting his talent, just looking for chinks in the favourites armour, and I think there are a few :biggrin:

3. Talal El

Talal El Well-Known Member

Pre tourney bets are gone, so Dustin 'Bomber' Johnson will be carrying my money for some interest for the last round. Played reasonably nicely for first three days, holing some decent putts. Yes he's messed up some few holes but that's to be expected on the dodgy course.

If someone can shoot 66/67 from the level players and post -3 clubhouse lead, you never know

Jim Williams likes this.
  4. SaveTheHumans

Shrek is coming to get ya's boy's ;)

Attached Files:

King Shergar likes this.
  5. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Member

Rory on the charge, boy can that lad play when he wants to! Tad too late though I guess?

6. King Shergar

It may not be to late, even if he can post -2 he has a big chance, most of the guys at the top have been known to wobble under the pressure. :biggrin:

7. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Member

Very true, would be a fantastic turnaround if the golfing magician was to win this. Get in at -3 and I think the leaders will get a tad nervy seeing one Rory Mcilroy in the clubhouse lead

8. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Member

As I say that Rory drops one and Bomber birdies, 4 shots difference now, surely Rory's charge will come just short now

9. King Shergar

That's probably even more bottling than what went on in the 2006 US Open. First Johnson throws away a good lead, then Grace fires it out of bounds, then Spieth throws away a 3 shot lead. And finally the ultimate bottler of them all Johnson has it back in his hands again and gives it to Spieth by 3 putting the last!

I've not seen many endings to a tournament as eventful as that before. Grace and Johnson are going to be kicking themselves, whilst Spieth must feel like he can jump in water and come out dry. Unbelievable stuff! :biggrin:

10. Talal El

Bomber the ultimate bottlejob. Thrilling end to the tourny

11. niksboy

niksboy Active Member

reading all of the comments post tournament I find your knowledge to be fantastic. You all gave an excellent account of who you would choose and why. I didn't know anything about D Johnson's history but certainly understand now why he makes mistakes when under pressure. I played against my son at the w/e and needed a 12 inch putt to win and the negative vibes nearly caused me to miss so to be faced with a putt for thousands of dollars must take nerves of steel.
    I'll be investing a few bob on Rory when they play this side of the pond and the south African with the difficult name appears to be on top of his game. Thanks for starting the thread and I look forward to adding my comments and tips for the real open!!!!!!

Talal El and SaveTheHumans like this.
  12. SaveTheHumans

Well done Jordan Spieth. 2 Majors played this year, 2 victories. Bank manager and sponsors smiling, all is good.

Was delighted with Oosthuizen's effort in the end, he had a flat front 9 which was half expected from me but he finished like a steam train, 29 on the back 9 and equalling the lowest ever back 9 score in US Open history but ultimately Spieth's biridie on 18 denied him a play - off in the end.

Niksboy, very much looking forward to St.Andrews now, I'm off across the pond to play there again myself in September <ok> but there's plenty of golf to get stuck into between now and then too.

All the best folks.

13. SaveTheHumans

Pity about his short game but here's

Attached Files:

14. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Well done Spieth and anyone here had any financial joy! I challenge anyone who finds golf 'boring' to have been anything less than thoroughly captivated during that last round! Grace give me a great run for my money and I'm somewhat kicking myself for not having a saver on Spieth inrunning at the 15th when he hit 11/8 having looked in some trouble and it looked a pure 2 horse race at that point.

Dustin is a bottler, can see him going through life not picking up a major. That 3 putt on the 18th was a cardinal sin, shocking. Spieth won as he was the one who avoided the 'bad round' but he never played the best golf at any time. My highlights were Rory and Scotts final rounds but surely Louis Oostys final two rounds showed him as the player who played the best but obviously that first round finished him before he started.

Looking to St Andrews it'd be those 3 top of my radar for that. Spieths an unreal talent, but he did 'bottle' it on the 17th with a double and it was simply a case he bottled it the least! When your main competitor on the last is DJ you must consider yourself very lucky indeed!

15. King Shergar

I'd question Sky Sports coverage of the event once again though, despite the fact Grace was at worst within 2 of the lead, and at one point co leader, they barely showed any of his shots. Yet showed near enough every shot of McIlroy, Lowry and Day.

They where showing every shot of McIlroy, even after he had the 2 bogeys to drop out, and showing Jason Day shot for shot when he was 4 or 5 back. And Shane Lowry I was getting sick to death of seeing him, the guy was never within 4 of the lead yet we where subjected to every shot of his. I think the only time they showed any of Grace was when he finally became co leader, and even then they skipped out a few of his shots, but they ignored most of his play even when he was in 2nd place. How can they just show the putting out, of the guy who's in 2nd place?

Surely Sky need to be showing the guys who where in best position to win the tournament, and not ignoring them for guys further down the leaderboard.

It's even worse when Tiger Woods is playing, they literally ignore everyone else even if he's miles behind:biggrin:

16. Talal El

If i-m correct, i think that Sky get the pictures from FOX which is why we see all of Tiger's and Lefty's shots even when miles behind- I agree with you though king its nothing short of a disgrace to show leaders so little airtime. I didn't watch last night-s action- woke up half hour early this morning and watched the highlights- but from previous tournaments this is an annoyance.

17. King Shergar

I think they get there pictures from Fox for the smaller PGA events, but I think Sky get to pick and choose who they show in the big events. If it was Fox last night, they wouldn't have shown so much of Lowry who's Irish, as Holmes and Reed 2 Americans where on a similar score and barely got a look in :biggrin: