1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2016 OLBG Mares’ Hurdle

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Mar 2, 2016.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The 2016 OLBG Mares’ Hurdle

Officially known as the David Nicholson Mares Hurdle, the race was first run as a Grade 2 in 2008 and officially raised to Grade 1 status in 2015, in part to honour the exploits of the wonderful Quevega who won the race in 6 consecutive years from 2009-2014.

All this season it has been a case of "will she or won't she" and, after last year's dramatic fall at the final hurdle (which saved the bookies a reputed 30 million) it is looking as if Annie Power "won't" and will instead head to the Champion Hurdle some 40 minutes earlier. Her very able deputy is likely to be Vroum Vroum Mag, in the same ownership, herself unbeaten in 8 starts over hurdles and fences since joining Willie Mullins.

Such is the dominance of the Mullins mares that barely another runner gets a mention in previews of the race but Mr Henderson's Polly Peachum, the lovely Rebecca's Aurore D'Estruval and Harry Fry's mare, Bitofapuzzle have all been targeted at this race and should be able to offer some semblence of a home defence.

Oddschecker prices here.

Ron likes this.
  2. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

VROUM VROUM MAG apart from Thistlecrack surely the banker of the meeting

3. OddDog

Staff Member

Until I see her in the paddock I won't believe she is running Woolly - she could be going anywhere <laugh>

4. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

No bet in the race but if ive had a good start to the day then I may pile in to VVM... Other than that it's a watching race...

5. OddDog

Staff Member

I can't believe VVM is still evens with some slight odds against available - she is a 1/4 shot in my book <ok> Value indeed

6. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Geez lads, Vroum Vroum Mag will likely win half the track in this but isn't she bring priced up here as if she's Annie Power? Annie was trading around something similar before last years race and we all knew that she was a stone better than them. VVM may very well be but Annie had already proved herself at a far higher level.

Do hope Vroum Vroum does it in style (have backed her at bigger in an acca) but there's just a slight price issue for me now.