1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2017 Malaysian Grand Prix Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Big Ern, Sep 24, 2017.

?

Who will have the chequered flag waved in their honour?

Poll closed Oct 1, 2017.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

68.2%
  2. Seb Vettel

27.3%
  3. Valtieri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Kimi Raikonnen

4.5%
  5. Danny Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Max Verstappen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Jos verstappen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Shergar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other (specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

That certainly suggests Stroll was on a constant steer and Vettel did chop across.

2. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Yeah... have a bit of a change of opinion after seeing that footage. Makes you wonder why all these replays weren't immediately available.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  3. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The only way I can think this footage wasn't available was if it was recorded to memory in the car regardless of if it was being streamed. But then surely the FIA could get it with ease, unless Williams themself recorded it and then they or Stroll leaked it?

Pretty damming for Vettel and let's Stroll off the hook so I see why they would.

All guesses mind.

4. allsaintchris.

Is it because only so many cars per race are fitted with 'live stream' tech.

Maybe the issue with the Stewards not getting immediate access is the cars are under parc ferme regulation for a while after the race so no one can touch the cars until all the checks have been done?

I don't think it will change anything from the official decision point of view, but maybe they could reprimand Vettel with points on his licence but no actual other penalty for driving without due care and attention (as it would be on the normal road). Its still a silly incident that should not have happened.

Wasn't Vettel close to a race ban earlier in the year because of the points he had totted up on his licence? He does need to watch his step a bit, had that footage been available I'm not sure whether the 'no blame' outcome would have been the same.

5. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Thing is... we really don't need penalty points and a ban as that really would put an end to the title. Pretty sure we all want to see this played out on track.

6. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

It strengthens the point I was making about Vettel...he is making too many elementary mistakes and taking unnecessary risks for a four time world champion. Maybe it's the pressure of the championship or pressure from Ferrari to deliver the championship. Whatever it is Vettel isn't handling it well. I hope this last crash wasn't a ploy to hide that they were totally out of fuel...

7. allsaintchris.

I do agree, but can't not give out points just for that as its unfair on the other drivers. If a driving incident warrants points then they should get them. Vettel has played the last few events out on the track and lost out!

My view is still nothing should happen as they made their decision. I think the only time its been done after an official result was Hamilton in Aus 09 when he lied to the stewards. This is completely different as although the evidence is new, the stewards could have waited for it if they thought it would make a difference to their decision.

It is surprising its taken this long to come out though, on the eve of the next race. Surely it was available later on the Sunday or Monday at the latest?