1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2018-19 Season

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by RiverEndRick, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

Yes, me.

2. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone on here is one of those berating Todd. I know a load have said drop Cantwell, I agree, drop him. He's playing out of position and it doesn't fit.

I saw a lot of criticism when he was playing amazing football. That spell in the team he had, he was fantastic in my opinion, and he still got people moaning about him. I was really impressed every time I saw him.

He is a young academy player. He's Learning. It's his first season, and it is such a pressure cooker of success, and every game is a must win. Please stop slagging him. Support him, like we do with Ben, Max and Jamal. I dunno why Todd seems to not get the same support. He works his a*rse off, he's never seems to give the ball away. He needs our support.

3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

<applause>

4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

5. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I think Todd has a big future, hopefully with us, but there is too much at stake to take unnecessary risks now. It's not his fault that the the whole team has been underperforming in the last two games but it's also true that he hasn't added much himself in those games. Add to that the uplift in play when Vrancic has come on and it seems right to change. Cantwell could prove to be another Madders as he develops as an AM, but that will take time. He's not a natural wide player and seems to be forcing his game to play there and our squad has good alternatives there. DF has been tremendous in developing this team, but I sometimes think his reluctance to make tactical changes until the last moment is a weakness and put a strain on players at the end of a long season.

Edit: I very much agree with Jack Reeve's article. We all hav a stake in this and need to be involved.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  6. Farked19

If I might offer a different perspective on the last two games. Against Reading we had vastly more shots/on target and in most games we would have run out easy winners. Both Reading goals were in a way flukes. Whilst I don't want to take anything away from their scorers how many times do you see Championship strugglers score goals like that. With Wigan I think that their low league position belies their home form. The vast majority of their points have been won at the DW I think it was said they have only lost once there this calendar year. That being the case a draw is ok.

carrowcanario likes this.
  7. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I agree about Wigan but think that our play was far too slow against Reading. It could be the loss of Buendia, but we haven't had the quick one touch passing and movement that has characterised this season. It's not surprising that Cantwell can't drop straight back into the side having been out so long but that is made more difficult when others have under performed. Hopefully all this will change in the next two games and we can stop worrying and enjoy the ride.

Edit: Just seen this Pinkun poll of who should start in midfield. Have to agree with the results.

• Hernandez – 93pc

• Stiepermann – 92pc

• Trybull – 90pc

• Vrancic – 87pc

• Leitner – 86pc

• McLean – 45pc

• Cantwell – 5pc

• Tettey – 4pc

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-city-midfield-wednesday-poll-results-1-6000556

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  8. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Well of course people should support him and any other player during a game. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by booing or getting on the back of any player during a game, especially young players, after all being negative is hardly likely to improve a players performance. BUT surely the whole point of a forum is to discuss differing views, also I'm not sure it's true that others haven't been criticised. I seem to remember Godfrey coming in from a fair amount of criticism after the Sheffield United, apparently he wasn't good enough to be a CB and one of the main reasons given was he was too short at 6' (something he can do absolutely nothing about). I didn't agree with the view that Godfrey couldn't be a CB, but can't see what the issue is with posters expressing that view and discussing it in this forum. I'm not sure when you think he was playing amazing football, Yes he had a good spell in the team and performed above expectations, but amazing football ? I think it's entirely reasonable for fans to criticise players and discuss differing views amongst themselves, but what I don't think fans should be doing is giving feedback directly to a player, that's the coaches job.

9. carrowcanario

I kind of agree with Farked19, I don't think our performances in the last 2 games have been that bad, in fact in spells of both games we've played pretty good football (as good as in games that we've won comfortably), although I think the decision making of some players has been poor and if anything our attacking players have not made the most of the opportunities they've had. The Reading game in particular is one were we had plenty of opportunities to win the game quiet comfortably, against a team battling survival who park the bus. Wigan another team battling survival with a decent home record couldn't score against us from open play and the award of a penalty was debatable. I agree Cantwell hasn't been playing his favoured role, but if he's going to develop to be a top player he needs to be adaptable and experience other roles. I suspect DF's late subs are very much an intended tactic (that he feels wouldn't be so effective if made earlier) and very much a case of his belief in our better fitness over other teams, which over the course of the season has been justified by the number of goals late in the game we have scored. I don't believe the late subs are made as a result of reluctance to make changes, indecision or desperation, I think they are part of his game plan.

Canary Rob likes this.
  10. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I agree with Canrario

We have just played two teams with backs to the wall, fighting desperately for survival, one of them (Wigan) with a very strong record at their home ground.

We played pretty well, got a bit unlucky, missing probably our player of the season. No worries.

carrowcanario likes this.

11. Forgot_My_Lines

Wow, as little as 5pc for Cantwell.

12. Forgot_My_Lines

We battered Reading and should have comfortably won that game.

Wigan, we were crap until the last 10-15 minutes. Then I really felt we could turn it around and win it, we were pressing that well and having chances. Wigan only scored because of a Penalty that never was one. So, although a win would have maybe been harsh on Wigan, that is a game plan that has worked for us this season. Battle with a team, let them tire, and blitz them towards the end. Didn't work this time.

13. carrowcanario

Maybe it didn't work because the subs where made earlier than normal !!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Forgot_My_Lines

Oh sh*t. You might be right!

15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Some very strong words from Connor Southwell in today's MFW article and I hope EVERY fan will heed. IMO, there hasn’t been ANY vitriol on here, but on social media, things are getting out of hand.
    In the here and now, City are on the verge of something memorable. Everybody inside the Norwich City bubble is conscious of the various scenarios. Promotion is within their grasp. The odd disappointing result aside, everything points to the Premier League. There will be more potholes along the way – this is football after all – and everyone knows how unpredictable it can be.
    But now isn’t the time for civil war. Instead, we need to stand together and aide the crossing of that line, which will result in pure euphoria for everyone of a yellow and green persuasion.

That doesn’t mean we avoid debate – if you hold an opinion on football, then share it – but possessing an opinion and veering towards slander are two polar opposites. One allows for healthy discussion and the other involves petulant name-calling. The former is constructive, the latter destructive.
    To be in a position where a City player, particularly one who knows of nothing else but Norwich City, feels the need to tweet out a defence to his cause underlines this.
    For four games, for 360 minutes, let’s create a vibrant, constructive environment while offering our unconditional support to see this through. Forget talk of attendances and focus on creating a positive atmosphere, as a collective. That doesn’t mean merely singing, but encouraging and supporting. This group of players have given their all, have played arguably some of the best football this club has ever seen – they deserve our best.

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2019/04/18/eyes-on-the-prize-people-nows-not-the-time-for-conflict-or-civil-war/

canary-dave likes this.
  16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Enjoy -

17. Farked19

What an amazing bargain he was. I don't suppose many would argue against the point of view that he has been a bigger asset that either Maddison or the Murphys twins. On that basis we got twenty million quids worth of footballer for free. It's also an advantage that at twenty nine it might not be such a temptation for bigger clubs to nick him.

I agree with his assessment of his best goal. Sitting in the Barclay when he scored against Millwall was a truly magical football experience. In my opinion he's a shoo in for Player of the Season.

RiverEndRick, canary-dave and JM Fan like this.
  18. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

19. Farked19

Incredible, amazing, crazy....and probably a few other adjectives describe what this season is turning into. It began with that comeback against Millwall but last night's instalment really takes the drama to yet new heights.

I was watching in the pub and needing to go to the loo. So when we reached 94:50 I thought "that's it, I'll go home".
    Coming out of the loo I assumed that Sky had gone straight onto the highlights. I thought "Hang on, we didn't get a free kick in that position." Then I noticed that it was Vrancic lining up to take the kick and the clock was on 97 minutes + . Talk about Farke time!

RiverEndRick likes this.
  20. carrowcanario