1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours The 2019/20 Season Rumour Mill

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Bigalreigned, May 1, 2019.

1. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

From what I saw of Harry Wright the other night he is not ever going to make it so it wouldn’t surprise me if we were in for a young keeper. I fully expect that comment to come back to bite me at some point.

3. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

If he's any good BA he will probably expect to be paid so there's a stumbling block to begin with.

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

What a bloody joke. Fingers crossed Evans finally gets his head out of his arse.

5. Bigalreigned

I’ve said it before Yorkie, but what makes you think he’ll change his ways now?!

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Well the hope would be that because he is now running the club himself he can see what’s needed, whereas in the past he was not involved in the day to day.

However that’s all.

I’m not holding my breath that’s for sure.

We are not asking to bankrupt the club by spending above £20k / week wages on a player - just to pay market wages for promising players. field’s post sums up the situation perfectly.

7. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think that we need to bear in mind the massive cut in revenue that relegation has meant for us and having to abide to Salary Cost Management Protocol (SCMP), whereby we need to comply with the requirement that our wage bill cannot exceed 75% of our revenue. And we’re going to lose a lot of revenue – TV money, less sponsorship money, and natural costs that goes with dropping down a division. Our current wage bill, despite being one of the lowest in the league, is nowhere near 75% of our revenue as it stands.

We do have positives, mostly the wage cuts from most first team players, the wages of some of our players not contributing to this 75% wage requirement, and the fact that players under the age of 20 does not contribute to that percentage, which is helpful for us. Unfortunately, we don’t have the attendances that a Sunderland can draw in to help boost revenue.

While adding quality and experience to this squad is important, I think we’ve got to be realistic about the scale and quality of players we can attract with our resources and state of finances. We aren’t going to compete for players who get Championship attention. We aren’t going to be able to sign a player for £15k a week, let alone more than £20k. I think our best bet is to axe the deadwood at the club by not renewing any expired contracts this summer, promoting youth for squad positions, but then identifying four or five positions where we need to act quickly to bring in quality. If we go through the summer without signing two full-backs, one or two strikers, and a left winger, then we’re in trouble and I highly doubt we’ll go straight back up. We could do with a defensive midfielder and cover at centre-back. Depending on departures, we may need a goalkeeper. I just feel this squad needs a massive shake-up and some canny additions, but cannot see how we can do this (to the extent required) if we are to abide by League One financial rules.

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

As we've been through on another thread, we are miles away from SCMP affecting us in the first season (e.g. as you mention it doesn't apply to certain players, there is an £8m loss allowed from owner input and then an additional £5m buffer).

However Lambert has just said in his press conference he already knows where he stands with Evans - that it's his club and there are not going to be any £2m players coming in.

It also sounded like Knudsen and Gerks are likely to move on.

9. Nuggets

Where does it say we're allowed to do that in League One? Wasn't aware of that.

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It's on the football league website but it's in legalese and also mentioned here although doesn't quote the figure: http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

The rules are a bit ambiguous so the injection may be unlimited but there is a clearly defined £13m of losses allowed over and above the turnover.

The cash injection has to happen before the wages are spent (eg not at the end of the year) and the rules are there to cap the market salary because otherwise you’d end up with a load of clubs taking a gamble on wages and ending up going bust.

The losses allowed in the Championship If there was a cash injection increased by £7m in 2015 but funnily enough the club went quiet about FFP after that.

Now there is no excuse for not investing aside from Evans being a tight arse. What he can’t do is convert it to loans that he can recover and that’s why he’s keeping quiet about it.

Last edited: May 3, 2019

11. Nuggets

Interesting link, and I’m sure most of it still applies, but it is a few years out of date, contains links to articles that no longer exist, and comes with the disclaimer at the top that information on the EFL website may supersede what it goes on to say.

Nevertheless, Evans should be investing as much as he can into this squad in the transfer window and he has to give Lambert the tools for an immediate promotion. If we don’t go up next season, then we will have to make drastic cuts to our wage bill in 2020/21, because the leeway we would have been afforded this summer will have gone.

The question is whether Evans will provide any meaningful investment in the summer. The answer, based on statements he has made to the media and his transfer record over the past several years, is probably not.

12. Bigalreigned

I think there’s more chance of Gary Glitter having a number one hit at Xmas than there is of Evans “providing meaningful investment in the squad over the summer“ .
    Sorry to sound cynical but if he was going to change his ways it would/should have occurred before this disastrous relegation.

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I wouldn’t be surprised if we fell foul of the rules by not knowing them or bothering to follow them to be perfectly honest.

Certainly Lambert is going to bring in a few faces for free transfers and £100k - £1m fees and we will be largely depending on our current squad, which is why Emmanuel has got a new contract.

14. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Quite honestly BA he would have changed his ways years ago if he was going to, for a successful wealthy businessman not to to see what this disastrous policy was leading to when it was obvious to a fool defies logic.
    We all said it was because he got his fingers burnt in the Keane era but although I can't recall the figures I don't think it was an extraordinary amount of money compared to other Clubs.

15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

We spent a couple of million on Leadbitter, hard to argue with that. 1.3 or something on Edwards, which was a bargain. Delaney for next to nothing. Lee Martin and Priskin just over a million each and they definitely didn’t work out.

Then in the second season we’ve spent barely anything on Scotland, Hourihane who has gone on to be a regular at Villa and Fulop a quality keeper.

The loan signings were really high quality - he brought Daryl Murphy to the club, Townsend, Livermore, Colback.

The big error was letting Rhodes go and Walters left which was a big hit along with a lot of other decent players who we would fall over ourselves for now - David Wright, Garvan, Bruce, Billy Clarke, Stead, Trotter, Haynes, Harding, Shumi..

Roy Keane’s net spend was something like £3m so hardly ‘burned’.

Swansea at Portman Road stands out in my mind because we outplayed them but didn’t get the rub of the green and they were a top side.

Then Paul Jewell did arguably an even better job bringing in Cresswell and Chopra for just a £1m and some very high quality loans including Bullard - but having to release Wickham and McAuley who were both Premier League talent.

We had quality players all the way through from Joe Royle and Jim Magilton eras and without any question the quality was eroded over McCarthy’s time where we brought in some good players but the turn over was just far too high with far too many poor and average players getting into the first team particularly in the last two years.

That’s why I think we need to approach it differently now and go for one or two quality players in each window to improve the standard year on year. And when I say quality I mean still being savvy and signing good free transfers but also being prepared to back the manager and fork out £2m for players and £5m, £6m, £7m every couple of years for a talisman or deadly striker.

Billy Sharp, Assombalonga, Charlie Austin - these all could and should have been Town players. Any of those alongside Murphy and we’d have been in the top flight with an £80m windfall.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  16. Bigalreigned

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

18. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Ward <laugh>

Waste of space!

Buckyohare and Bigalreigned like this.
  19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

We are going to be scraping the barrel with our signings, I don’t see the point of releasing a player just to get someone in the same or worse.

We have no idea who is going to step up next season. I think he would have someone to offer.

20. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, we'll probably keep him to help out with the wage structure and restrictions imposed. I still think he's useless though and will be happy if he can prove me wrong <ok>

Buckyohare and Bigalreigned like this.