1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2019-2020 season.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Apr 29, 2019.

1. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Well clearly when the ball is played he has to make a decision as to how he is going to deal with the threat. On the information available to him at the time the ball is played he appears to have made the decision to try and push the Abrahams to the left and sets himself up for this (he can't set himself up for every event), but football isn't static and creative players do things that are unpredictable. Even whilst the ball is travelling players are moving, the available information changes, it's a game of constant decisions, so decisions that are right one second (or part of) are wrong the next, it's the beauty of the game. So no he didn't get it wrong what happened was that with his excellent 1st touch made in a fraction of a second, Abrahams change the situation by playing the ball into the gap between the CB's. If he hadn't and gone wide then in your view Hanley would've got it right, but Abrahams went to the centre so Hanley got it wrong. Without being a mind reader how can Hanley know what decision Abrahams is going to make. It's like blaming the captain for losing the toss at the start of the game because he decide heads not tails and blaming everything that followed on that decision. I'm guessing Hanley made a decision when the ball was played that he was going to try and pushed Abrahams left and positioned himself for this, whilst not discounting the possibility that he would go the other way. Abrahams didn't do what was expected and his first touch took him to the gap between Hanley & Godfrey, however Hanley still managed to recover and prevent Abrahams shooting. I think if he hadn't recovered and prevented the shot then your arguement would be stronger, in that he would have made a decision and failed to consider other possibilities. The player that allowed Abrahams the space to shoot was Godfrey by over committing.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  2. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

I won't pretend to be an expert on football tactics. I only ever played to Sunday League level with people who were largely still hungover from the night before. So my contribution is probably of little value here. But I do know that criticism, if not made correctly can have negative effects. I take the point that this isn't Canary Call but I do think that bandwagons can get rolling against certain players, with or without justification. My only interest in this is that the team does as well as possible with resources that are very limited compared to the teams we will need to beat to survive. My comments were made really more to do with team psychology rather than football. I hope they are taken that way rather than seen as criticism of other's contributions, which are all relevant and interesting.

3. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

This has produced a really valuable discussion. It could be to do with responsibilities though. In DF's zonal defence, Hanley's responsibility is to cover the right CB zone, which is why he sets to push Abraham left, knowing that Godfrey should be moving to cover the left CB zone, which he does, but he overcommits, allowing Abraham to take it past him and shoot.

I don't see this as apportioning blame. Both were trying to do the right thing, but Abraham won the battle this time, just as Pukki won a battle against van Dijk by springing the off-side trap to score his goal at Anfield. Van Dijk was furious. What we need to avoid is judging a player based on a single incident. The fact that Hanley scored 7.2 and Godfrey scored 6.8 on WhoScored against a top six side indicates that they both had a good game overall, which is probably more important to DF than what happened in a single incident.

carrowcanario and canary-dave like this.
  4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

<applause>

5. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

My original comment (posted 2:55 yesterday) was a response to JMF, in particular his saying that Hanley was left completely exposed, which the screenshot I posted shows he indeed was. What I was interested in however was DF's post-match observation on the incident, which focussed on the fact that Abrahams' first touch had been poorly defended, rather than on any collective failure to guard against exactly the sort of swift counter that took place. My first thoughts on this in that post were clearly wrong, because there was no 2 on 1 situation of the kind I envisaged, Godfrey being too far away and upfield of Hanley. So what do people think DF meant?

6. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Max Aaron’s, Ben Godfrey and Todd Cantwell have all been called up to the England u21s. Good luck boys!!!

7. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

And in addition, Rocky Bushiri has been called up to the Belgium under-21 squad for two Euro 2021 qualifiers.

8. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Hell yeah!!

please log in to view this image

Walsh.i.am, RiverEndRick and JM Fan like this.
  9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

10. carrowcanario

I really don't know what he meant. If I was guessing I would thinking he was thinking about the gap between Hanley & Godfrey being too wide thereby encouraging Abrahams to take the option he took and allowing his first touch to be into quiet a space directly in front of goal.

robbieBB likes this.

11. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Whilst we should undoubtedly judge players by more than singular incidents. If mistakes are made, they should be identified and addressed in training. But singular incidents can be super important, the PL is an unforgiving environment and a singular incident cannot ruin a season (Unless we are relegated by 1-2 points), It can cost 1 or 2 points, where problems arise is repeated mistakes costing a succession of points. Obviously at 3 games in we are a little early for trends. But fail to learn from each mistake whether they resulted in a goal or not and we're learning to fail.
    Don't talk nonsense Mr Farked19, yours and everyones opinions on here are valued. We don't have to agree and we may even missunderstand each other but what ever we express on here is from a mutual affinity for NCFC.
    CC, I still see this differently.
    One last time: We both agree that Hanley wants to show him and is shaped to show him outside (Although RER disagrees thinking he is showing him to the centre and relative strength of another CB, Weird! :emoticon-0181-fubar) so if he doesn't force him that side, then for me he has failed. Hanley does not need to be a mind reader, he needs to know that the centre of the pitch offers more striking options and what footed the striker is. Hanley knows this and tries to show him outside, but leaves the door ajar. Its not a flip of a coin, the purpose of showing the outside and blocking the inside is to make the striker go where you want him. It is to an extent up to the defender. It is a fine balancing act in a dynamic situation but as soon as he has let him inside, the striker has taken the upper hand by turning him and taking him where he doesn't want to go. OK so Hanley then scrambles and gets across, but between him and Godfrey neither prevent the shot on goal or block it. This is another failure compounded by the fact he hits the target and scores. Shots and goals may not be preventable all the time but that doesn't mean that everything has been done right and cannot be questioned.

Balls this didn't post earlier

Bah!

canary-dave likes this.
  12. General Melchett

My take was that that first touch was allowed Inside, i.e poor shepherding and a loss of control of the encounter.

Bah!

13. robbieBB

You and I clearly attach different meanings to the term "overload" CC. Just having more players on one side than the opposition have doesn't in itself constitute an overload. At most I would say it suggests Chelsea intended to create an overload on that side. But if this was the intention, and Abrahams was aware of it, I would actually expect him to do exactly what Hanley wanted him to do, namely take the ball wide. A proper overload would then have been created further forward in our RB area. In contrast to that, Abrahams' movement suggests his only thought was to go it alone, given how far ahead he was of any of his team mates.

14. carrowcanario

How Pukki Scores So Many Goals for Norwich

canary-dave likes this.
  15. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

What a beautiful sight!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  16. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

17. robbieBB

18. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

19. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Trybull out for 6 weeks as well now. We are getting some **** luck with injuries at the moment. OTBC.

20. General Melchett

Unfortunately, Trybull does appear a little injury prone. But with our CB's dropping like flies, last thing we need is for Amadou to have to play at the back and be reliant on Tettey's knees holding out in DM for any sort of prelonged period.
    Get well soon, Grant and Christoph!

Bah!