1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2019-2020 season.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Apr 29, 2019.

1. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I seem to recall that under Worthy, Lambert, Hughton and Neil that we generally had to wait until October for a first win; now we have two in five games including the current champions. That win could change everything: building confidence, deflating pressure, silencing the critics and tightening togetherness through the coming games. A win at Burnley would be great, but a point would keep us moving ahead. The players dug deep, worked hard for each other and followed DF's plan to allow ManCity possession where they couldn't hurt us. They know now they can do that against every other PL team. Consistency is the key now.

Paddy Davitt's article highlights Todd Cantwell's growing confidence:

"Cantwell is not changing his game, he has the good fortune to have the faith of a progressive head coach and new surroundings which are conducive to his inherent sense of expression and self-confidence. That perhaps is why Cantwell's elevation appears so serene. His game is tailor-made for the Premier League, not the muck and nettles of the Championship. Long may it continue, both for him and his boyhood club."

It was great to see him getting plaudits on MotD just five days after getting his first U21 cap. Pukki is already at his zenith, but the abilities of our young players will continue to grow throughout the season and we have yet to see what Amadou, Byram, Roberts, Drmić and Fährmann can add over the season. Beyond that, we have Idah waiting to show what he can add down the line. Exciting times.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-todd-cantwell-paddy-davitt-analysis-1-6273409

2. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

The best thing about the result on Saturday, ( Although there were so many good things I'm not entirely sure about that) was that the fear that the huge injury list would see a big drop in form. The fact that it didn't and that new players proved themselves to be every bit as capable as the injured ones is a massive testament to the canny recruitment over the summer.

Interesting to note that the fragrant Ms.Brady thought that we were being skinflints in our buying of players. Well if that was the case, looking at our respective results against West Ham, that went well didn't it?

3. RiverEndRick

I take it you mean ManCity's "respective
    results" against West Ham(0-4) and us, but at least the pundits have stopped calling us naïve. As Gary Neville said, if ManCity had scored after the build up play for our first goal, the pundits would be calling it classic ManCity ball control. We beat them at their own game with the added impudence of Buendia's clever steal and cross to Pukki for the winner.

4. RiverEndRick

Yet another key statistic for Emi:

"Norwich’s Emiliano Buendía is the first midfielder since Eden Hazard back in 2012 to assist as many as four goals in his first five Premier League appearances."

Just what can he do when he really gets going? That flick over Otamendi to start the move for our second goal was just magical.

5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Yes, he really seems to have got his 'mojo' back - I wonder if it was a little bit of mixing out on some of pre-season, coupled with a bit of 'rabbits in headlights' for the first free games

6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Yes, he really seems to have got his 'mojo' back - I wonder if it was a little bit of mixing out on some of pre-season, coupled with a bit of 'rabbits in headlights' for the first few games.

Edit - Just a tad different to his comments on MotD - https://www.premierleague.com/news/1347960. <doh>

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

8. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Methinks it's too late, but at least he's signed a new contract!!!

ncgandy likes this.
  10. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

Yes, you understood my meaning. Combination of no coffee and old age befuddlement. You were too kind to West Ham - it was 0-5!

RiverEndRick likes this.

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

If Bendy can do that against Citeh - what can he do against some of the other teams??

RiverEndRick likes this.
  12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

WetSham fans are already questioning the club's decision to sell Byram after his outstanding debut in yellow and green against Citeh on Saturday.
    'West Ham selling Sam Byram already looks questionable. His debut looked to be a daunting task ahead with Citeh travelling to Norfolk. But Norwich were outstanding, and Byram was brilliant as they stunned City and won 3-2. He was tasked with keeping the likes of Raheem Sterling and Bernardo Silva quiet. But no player on the pitch won more challenges than the full-back, according to Whoscored.com.
    Of course, West Ham are not going to be kicking themselves off the back of one performance. But Norwich have done an incredible job of uncovering gems for next to no money'

IMO, could it be that DF and his coaches have yet again shown their ability to rejuvenate the careers of players whose careers are on the wane??
    Their record to date -
    Zimmerman
    Leitner
    Stieperman
    Pukki
    Bendy
    Krul?
    Have I missed any??

https://tbrfootball.com/west-ham-selling-sam-byram-already-looks-questionable/

Add that ability to the way in which they are developing youth players and playing them - there are exciting times ahead for NCFC and their fans.

13. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I remember going to an Under 23 game at the start of the 17/18 season and a fan beside asked who we had to replace JM, when another fan said that TC showed potential and whilst not dismissing him, I thought I'd 'wait and see'.
    Like most fans, his performances last season were a bit lacklustre, but when I saw him in pre-season - what a difference and some of his play since has been scintillating, especially on Saturday. Could he prove to be a better 'all-round player' than JM (without the free-kick speciality!!), as he's certainly better at tracking back??
    #watchthisspace

15. RiverEndRick

You could add Drmić and Trybull, as well as Amadou and Fährmann. It's amazing how all those players and the young guns have come on this season. Cantwell is a revelation this season and Jamal, Max and Godfrey all look at home in the PL. Max needs to work more on his defensive side, but Byram was something else against ManCity and the likes of Sterling and Silva. Once again an injury provides an opportunity which is seized with both hands (and feet). That's down to excellent coaching.

JM Fan likes this.
  16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I've just had a look at the PL table and realise that IF we win n Saturday we COULD be in the top 10 by 5pm!!!! <yikes>

17. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Good point. It is easy to climb the league at this stage...

At a guess I would have thought that if we win we really should be top ten by at the end of the round of fixtures - feels unlikely that out of the ten teams above us less than three will lose?

JM Fan likes this.
  18. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Does anyone know when the televised games for October November are released???

19. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

I agree with Davitt were he said it's the same Todd Cantwell. TC just keeps rising to the challenge at each level. He's lucky to have Daniel "Be Brave" Farke for a coach.

Nigel Stephens and JM Fan like this.
  20. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I remember last season when he got the nod after Bendy's red card and a handful of fans gave him grief.
    Some of his play and running with the ball on Saturday was outstanding!!!! :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Canary Spring and RiverEndRick like this.