1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2019-2020 season.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Apr 29, 2019.

1. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Melissa Rudd has given a hardheaded analysis of why we've struggled for wins this season:

"Farke has come in for criticism over the lateness of his substitutions, none of which came before the 70-minute mark in those matches despite the team looking as though they were crying out for change much earlier at times. The quality of the reinforcements at his disposal on the bench has been another point of contention that is bound to continue to divide the fanbase as we continue through this transfer window adopting the self-funded model. What is more relevant in terms of what the players at the club can control is City's detrimental habit of tensing up in the second half of games to the point where they visibly retreat when the opposition is in possession and look as though they are simply waiting to concede rather than exhibiting a determination not to. Maybe that shouldn't come as a surprise given they have only been able to secure top-flight wins three times in 21 attempts. Psychology looks as though it is playing a big part in Norwich being so close, yet so far away, from making this season a success."

That final point is at the heart of our overall lack of success - we're not mentally tough enough to see games out. That seems amazing considering how we dominated games in the Championship. The skills are there, but as players tire, the mental resilience retreats and this is now threatening any chance of turning things around. Solving this is the fundamental task facing DF.

Full article here:

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/melissa-rudd-post-preston-1-6458200

2. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

I don't think it's amazing at all Rick. The difference is that the cracks in our inherently flawed approach were papered over in the Championship by Pukki's goals, but are ruthlessly exposed in the EPL by every team from 1 to 19. The psychological factors are effect not cause. Rudd's reference to just 3 wins in 21 attempts as giving rise to lack of belief skates over the actual reason. We aren't losing due to lack of belief; the lack of belief is due to losing, in turn due to the flawed approach. But hey ho, most of us are apparently quite content with the thought of repeating it all again in the Championship next year and yet again in the EPL the year after!

3. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I don’t think that’s fair Robbie.

I don’t think anyone wants us to be a perpetual yo-yo club and everyone would rather we stayed up this year.

However, my feeling is (and in my vanity I believe plenty of others on here also feel) that for the first time since Lambert’s promotion season, we have come up with a plan. A plan for being relegated and still being competitive. A plan which accepts we were never going to be able to compete with moneyball so we have to be patient and build slowly. Accepting that plan includes accepting that relegation this season is highly likely - firstly because we refused to be drawn into a game of financial chicken and secondly because, undoubtedly, we have been seriously unlucky with injuries.

Given the money thrown around I still think it is remarkable we are even competitive. And I am loath to criticise tactics when we are competing in every game - that’s not to say I disagree with you that our tactics on a game to game basis could not be altered and possibly be improved - I agree they could (though I think big changes are dangerous as we may end up not being competitive from minute one...)

So you see I think you are arguing here at cross-purposes. People are content (or at least I am) because of the club strategy, as opposed to the match-by-match team tactics. Those aren’t that bad, but could be improved <ok>.

The reason for unhappiness in, say, the Hughton seasons was because fans felt both the club’s strategy and the team’s tactics were wrong.

4. RiverEndRick

It's a bit of chicken and egg really Rob. At Anfield, we played like we did in the Championship and got punished, but did manage to adjust in the second half. We won against Newcastle by attacking successfully and demoralising them. The first goal is crucial. When we get it we do better, but when we don't we lose. We beat ManCity by turning all 3 of our shots on target into goals and absorbing pressure. Then we went back to our previous tactics and got punished week after week. That's where the psychological factors come in, collapsing our performance as soon as we go behind. DF has made some adjustments, like playing both Tettey and Trybull and replacing Stiepermann with McLean. Those have improved us, but not enough and the flaws are dragging us down. I think we need a run of games to get the psychology back on track, but that isn't going to happen unless we do more to reduce the flaws. Sadly, I don't think we will.

oldcanariesfan likes this.
  5. Canary Rob

Yep - tactics <ok>

That’s my point, plenty to discuss and even criticise, but so long as I am happy with the overall strategy I am not going to let tactics, results and bad luck get me down about us <ok>

6. RiverEndRick

Like you, I'm very pleased that we have a long-term plan and are putting financial security first. It's great to have some good performances, but it's also demoralising to fall further behind in what could end up a humiliating season. Psychology is important for the players, but it's also important for the fans. Rudd talks about division in the fan base and that will continue unless our situation improves. A win at Old Trafford could produce a turnaround, but I think that's straying into DF's miracle territory again. It could happen, but the odds are heavily against it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  7. robbieBB

The trouble is Rob, there is a contradiction at the heart of what you're arguing. I too am all for having a long term plan, and I support the self-financing model BUT the sustainability of backing for both the self-financing model and any long term plan depends on maximising success on the pitch, within the means available. My point is that a flawed footballing methodology undermines on-field success and hence support for both the long term plan and the self-financing model.
    Put it this way: unless you have a sound on-field approach, being "patient and building slowly" will not work. What do you see happening next season by way of "patient building" that will make us better fitted to survive in the EPL the season after that? Is the idea that the players we retain will have improved, and the players we bring in will (hopefully) be even better suited to executing our chosen style of play than those we already have? This is like saying the fall of Troy could have been prevented had the soldiers who gleefully hauled the Trojan horse into the city had been stronger and better equipped! Our Trojan horse is in the way we play and, unless we address that, perpetual yo-yo will be exactly our future. As Parma Ham put it (Masterclass 19 on the PinkUn forum), "this" i.e. our present, is maybe as good as it gets.

8. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

9. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

10. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

11. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

zogean_king likes this.
  12. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

Looking at it rationally I would put our chances of survival at around 10%, failure to win yesterday would have reduced them to about 1%. We are going to have to win all five home games against those in the bottom half of the table. One away win and three draws from those remaining games would give us 38 points. Personally I think 38 would be enough but getting there looks to be the problem.

13. RiverEndRick

Ten percent is about right. The key games are those against teams at the bottom but we've already finished with Villa and Bournemouth. Watford away may well decide our fate. I don't think we'll make it, but I hope we stay competitive as long as possible. Our last 4 games have produced 1win, 1 loss and two draws as well as a cup win. The performance at Spurs will be important, but so will be the result. If we can take a point it will be a success and keep morale up, but another hammering like ManUtd could finish our chances. We need more successes for the points but also for the momentum they bring - just look at Southampton and Watford. The addition of Duda whose debut yesterday raises my hopes a bit further. It will be interesting to see him at Spurs where he could well make a difference, especially if we can keep ourselves in the game defensively.

14. RiverEndRick

On Duda, here's an excellent tactical analysis of his attacking and defending strengths:

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/p...019-20-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

Very worth reading, leading to the tantalising conclusion that his "positioning, ball progression, and technique can give Norwich a lifeline in the battle for relegation survival".

David Freezer also tracked his performance yesterday on Player watch, concluding:

"An extremely encouraging start for Duda, being thrown straight into Premier League action, before understandably tiring in the second half - making his ninth start of the season. The Hertha Berlin loanee showed a quality of touch and creative intent which worked nicely in tandem with Emi Buendia and Todd Cantwell but also worked hard. Two-footed, direct and quick, the 25-year-old could well prove an excellent signing as he builds an understanding with his new team-mates. There's some serious hard work ahead if he is going to keep the Canaries in the Premier League and build on this positive start though."

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-1-bournemouth-0-duda-player-watch-1-6472582

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  15. robbieBB

Given that DF normally introduces new signings only after a fairly extended period of acclimatisation and adaptation to Farkeball, the fact that he started Duda on Saturday speaks volumes for both the player and our scouting team. Rather than "extremely encouraging", I'd say his debut was extremely impressive, both when we had the ball and when we lost it (the latter being, for me, the most heartening aspect of his performance).

16. Canary Rob

Couldn’t agree more. I know you are one of those who rate Stiepermann (or at least his contribution to our team structure) - I think our best play has been when Stiepermann has been in the pitch.

It is interesting (to me) that as far as I recall this is the first time, despite disappointing performances, that Stiepermann hasn’t made the match day squad - we finally have a player who can play in that key position.

What we desperately need now is to improve the defence. I’d be up for strengthening with another CB, but I actually think what we really need is for Godfrey and Zimmo to have a decent run playing together as they are our best pairing and have always improved after several games together. That three match ban is not helpful...

17. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Unfortunately very difficult to do, unless we start shipping players out we are all out of non-home grown squad spots. Home grown players who might improve us, in our budget will be like hens teeth.
    We must trust in Hanley/Zimmermann for the time being, hopefully with the midfield additions, they will be afforded greater protection and the team can start being more solid.

Bah!

DHCanary likes this.
  18. RiverEndRick

The only possibility would be a loan for
    a CB looking to gain playing time. A better way to go would be to improve the defence tactically, keeping the shape and cutting down the half spaces that PL teams exploit. Rupp may also help, as DF said he'll improve us defensively. He came on as sub, so DF may feel he's ready. The cup game will also give some time for both to play their way into Farkeball. Spurs will be the test though.

robbieBB likes this.
  19. robbieBB

I do rate Marco highly, and not just for what he contributes by way of oiling the wheels of Farkeball. For a big man, his close control and deftness of touch are impressive, and time and again he manages to thread a pass through the narrowest of spaces to keep possession and advance the ball upfield. I like his obvious character and sense of humour too, and I'm happy that coming to Carrow Road has proved so positive for him after not quite making it in the Bundesliga. People say he's not Premier League standard, but you could say the same about most of our and e.g. Sheffield Utd's, team. A player's "standard" depends heavily on making best use of his/her talents, and that is a matter of system and the players around him/her.

Canary Rob and Bure budgie like this.
  20. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member