1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2022 World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Didley Squat, Jun 14, 2022.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

What a great final ... in the end. ( I didn't care who won. )

It's hard to believe that the Argentine goalie's .. Emiliano Martinez ... previous clubs have been ...

Arsenal

Oxford United

Sheff Weds

Rotherham United

Wolves ( While they were in the championship )

Getafe

Reading and now Villa.

Kilburn likes this.
  2. LandOfHoopsAndGlory

LandOfHoopsAndGlory Well-Known Member

WTF?
    Here are your choices:

a) He's revealing his secret weapon, an extra hand to save low struck "balls".
    b) He "needs a hand" to masturbate.
    c) He's never had a hand job and got confused.
    d) He got confused when he heard that he'd won the "cup".
    or finally,
    e) He's a ****er and wants to reveal that on the world stage.

The winner gets to "shake" hands with him. :emoticon-0150-hands <yikes> :eek:

3. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Well, what a fantastic world cup, with one of the greatest finals ever. Underdogs winning and showing that the gap has closed between the bigger nations and the rest. No violence and more enjoyable games throughout than most world cups that I can remember. Incredible drama in the final.
    Mbappe showed Kane how to take a penalty under unbearable pressure.
    Messi, although obviously in decline, showed some wonderful touches, scored twice, is the only player ever to score in every game of a WC from the round of 16 to the final and demonstrated his fantastic range of passing.
    For me, that's why he's the greatest player I've ever seen (Best, Maradona, Pele, Cruyff, all up there). In his pomp he was renowned for not diving and riding tackles. He and Maradona are probably equal in most things, but Messi's vision and passing ability sets him apart for me.
    Obviously feels like another missed opportunity for England, but there are signs that Southgate is finally taking the handbrake off our wonderful group of young players.

Finally, as happened to England in the Euros final, losing on penalties is a terrible way to lose, pleased as I am for Messi.

4. rangercol

Bloke's a grade A twat though.

5. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

The morning after, and a very glum feeling in Paris. Obviously my preference would have been an England win, after all, you can take the man out of England, but you can't take England out of the man...but once England were out I did want France. Can't argue with the Argentina win though, they took the better penalties.

Expected to arrive to a very sad holiday club, this morning to drop off my kids. When I asked the man on the door doing check-in if he was ok after yesterday he subtly looked around to make sure no one else could hear, then whispered, "Je suis de l'Argentine". :emoticon-0138-think

QPR Oslo, Stroller and sb_73 like this.
  6. daverangers

Na...I showed him highlights of the Preston win to cheer him up!

Steelmonkey and rangercol like this.
  7. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

8. LandOfHoopsAndGlory

Staines R's likes this.
  9. rangercol

How many world cups shouldn't have taken place using this argument, some you attended?

10. Staines R's

Which ones that I attended ? Can’t say that I’ve seen France or Italy to have had laws that make homosexuality punishable by jail time…..but if, so please correct me.
    I would suggest that the obvious and official anti gay laws in Qatar make the place unsuitable for such an international stage.
    And then of course there is the obvious corruption…..but I’m sure you enjoyed the football mate

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022

11. rangercol

I really enjoyed it mate.
    As I said previously, I don't agree that the footballers should be the ones held accountable or pressured into taking action.
    I find the regime's human rights record etc abhorrent, but as I say, so many other tournaments wouldn't take place using this example.
    Two examples:
    1978 in Argentina where a ruthless dictator ruled and to use your example on homosexuality, the WC here in 1966, where homosexuality was still illegal I believe and very much frowned upon.
    In my opinion, it's not down to football to change the laws of a country, however abhorrent we may find their views.
    The last WC was in Russia ffs.

peter1954qpr likes this.
  12. Staines R's

But which ones did I attend that had such laws as in Qatar ?
    Of course Russia shouldn’t have had the WC…..however I don’t think they have actual laws that jail gay people just for being gay ? Again correct me if I’m wrong.
    My opinion is that although it’s not down to football to change abhorrent laws in a country…..it should be down to football not to reward them by giving them a platform at such events as the WC.

SW Ranger, Steelmonkey and sb_73 like this.
  13. daverangers

100% agree...but that decision was made by the people at the top of the game. I know the 'FIFA Uncovered' documentary has been discussed elsewhere, but one thing you clearly see from it is that when the decisions were taken to reward the World Cup to Qatar, they weren't taken by people who put football first, fans first or inclusivity first...they put money first and lining their own pockets.

Maybe naive of me, but my hope is that now the top job at FIFA has changed hands, future decisions will be made with football and football fans as the priority.

Staines R's likes this.
  14. Staines R's

It’s all corrupt mate……FIFA, British Politics, The EU, NATO, Ukraine, Russia, China etc etc etc…..just rich people getting richer

15. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Most countries will have laws some don't like
    The next ones in America
    Bound to have a few dodgy laws
    Who should get the world cup

rangercol likes this.
  16. Staines R's

Does America have any laws that jail someone for being gay ?

17. rangercol

Ok, that was a throw away line about you attending, although I suspect we could all find something about all past hosts that we strongly disagree with.
    You didn't address the point about our own regime "jailing gay people just for being gay". Or the much talked about colourful tournament of 1978.
    As for Fifa, I suspect that all past tournaments have had a level of corruption.

18. Staines R's

With respect mate…..I wasn’t even born in ‘66 and England didn’t qualify in ‘78.
    The fact of the matter is that us as football fans knew full well the oppressive laws in Qatar and it was massively publicised …..and the fact of the matter is that most were willing to ignore that, so that they could be entertained.

19. LandOfHoopsAndGlory

I don't think Kiwi was alluding just to the laws against gay sex. Moreover, I'm sure he was suggesting that all governments/states have rules/laws that would be at least frowned upon and, in some cases, seem an abomination to human rights. In some states of the US there are executions still going on. And then there are the gun laws. To any sane person, controlling one would reduce the need for the other, but that is their decision. Their rules. Their laws. We may not like them, but we have to respect them in their country.

But we all seem to agree. The greed shown by some in the football heirarchy is what should be deplored and proper vetting of the candidates must be paramount before accepting their bids.

I think we're all on the same page about corruption in many countries and organisations, but unfortunately, as soon as someone with enough balls to stand up to them comes along, he/she is gunned down, either literally or figuratively.

Anyway, that's my two bob's worth.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  20. Staines R's

So you can’t go to jail in the US just for being gay ?
    It’s not about respecting the laws of any country….it’s about the rewarding to a country that has such laws, of what should be the greatest sporting event on earth.
    And the fact that most were able to ignore those laws in the name of entertainment.