1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Academy

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Something is afoot at TA as changes are on the way and it seems Bielsa made this part of his agreement to sign for another season. We knew that Bielsa had insisted on sleeping pods and other changes to the layout and new buildings etc, but it also seems he wants to freshen up the coaching staff?

It seems harsh to get rid of a winning team that saw U23s win the lot and U18s, U16s win cups and tournaments as well as U10s and U7s. but we heard a few weeks ago that Richard Cresswell had left for pastures new. Cresswell was head of Academy and worked accross all the age groups, yet when he laeft he only thanked the parents for their dedication to their kids? We also heard last week that Danny Schofield a big cog in the U23s alongside Carlos Corberan had left the club and joined Boro with Woodgate. Mark Jackson is still there but Cresswell was well liked and spotted some great kids and brought them through well.

So what are the plans and who will Bielsa be bringing in, because I believe these changes will be part of a long term structure to increase the chances of talent being fast tracked to the first team and to open pathways to develop. Did these coaches leave or were they pushed. One story I heard is that they didn't like the new hours they were expected to work? Another was that Cresswell wasn't allowed to choose his own talent and Schofield wasnt happy about players like Hugo Diaz, Tom Pearce, Nicell etc allowed to leave?

It was only last week that Radz mentioned the new facility getting planning permission soon and that would mean the old Matthew Murray school area being developed for the new Academy including health and education. Has this got something to do with the casualties? Wonder if Redders is back on the agenda along with Lucy as the new set up will require a strict housekeeper?

More strange happenings with U23 players: Edmondson seemed to be a shoe-in to be given a chance in the first team this season, but since Eddy landed Ryan seems to have been frozen out and wasn't given a squad number. He played on Friday night and scored against Ipswich but I'm hearing stories that Gillingham and at least 11 other clubs are chasing him on loan. Watch this space.

Rafa Mijica a kid brought up at Barcelona and highly thought of and has played for Spain at every age level except the full International side. Orta and his team spent a lot of time and effort convincing him to come and link up with Bielsa. The plan was that to start with Mujica would play for the U23s but spend more time with the first team and be fast tracked to be available for the 2nd half of the season when needed most. Mujica has been sent out on loan to Spain for the season, so has he failed to convince Bielsa? It was Bielsa who told Orta to get him, so is it Bielsa wanting him to mature for another season?

Lots of questions and wonder if the club will enlighten us at some stage

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Whitejock likes this.
  2. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

Morning all. If there is any question to be answered about coaching a football team I think Marcelo is just about the best person in the world to answer it.

davy, blonogasoven and Whitejock like this.
  3. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Mujica was signed for the Eddie role, as it wasn't anticipated that Eddie would sign. Then he did, making Mujika further down the pecking order. Hopefully the loan will be good for him, but not so sure it will be for us.

I think there are going to be some incredibly harsh decisions made at the end of the season if we get promoted. Most of the talent we've been scouting, developing & loaning out are geared towards the Championship. How many of them are going to be PL standard? All of them, we hope, but realistically .... ? I'd guess that if we get promoted, anyone who is out on loan can say ta-ta.

4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

This kid is wanted by everyone

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

From Jacko and his kids doing Bielsaball

ristac and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  7. w.c.dukenfield

Eric Le Merde likes this.
  8. w.c.dukenfield

I intended saying it was a great move finished with an unstoppable strike.

9. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

What was wrong with

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 6.41.13 pm.png

10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Young Josh Galloway has been signed from Carlisle Utd and yet again a kid with a bright future and its upset Carlisle manager Steve Presley as itsnthe 2nd kid Leeds have signed and paid good money for this Summer. Liam McCaron a highly regarded kid who had just made it into the first team at 16yo and now young Josh at 17yo.