1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. brb

brb CR250

For amusement value, just stole this from another board...

please log in to view this image

Gil Lingam likes this.
  2. Gil Lingam

Gil Lingam ex-pat

please log in to view this image

3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Ridiculous - it's not as if she was playing hoofball in a crowded room !

OK - I am making a bit of fun out of the incident ( which isn't funny .) I find incredible, the officer's choice of restraint . - was it really necessary - couldn't the officer simply have taken hold of the little girl by her hand / arm/ sleeve ?
    That girl will now be traumatised and probably go on to have a hate relationship with the Police / authority in her lifetime.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51638871

4. brb

brb CR250

Truly shocking, it takes some understanding the mentality of a fully grown man doing that to a child, whether he was a uniform or not. I'm just as much surprised the guardians within the school for the child, even sat and allowed it to happen. This should never have been a police matter, a police car should never have been used to transport the child, more reserved for hardenened criminals, it's this type of stuff that provokes bad reaction and leads to futher criminality. What the hell are they training these guys!

Gil Lingam and alwaysright like this.
  5. alwaysright

it looks like they're using crayons to teach commonsense in Police school in Canada

brb likes this.
  6. alwaysright

I know a better word beginning with H that I shall call you --------------------------- HYPOCRITE !

What a cheek - coming from a family that has probably been responsible, more than anyone else, for damage to the ozone layer with all their FREE travels to every bloody place on Earth.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-51645676

7. alwaysright

This is why shops are losing money / closing -- and it's not always the fault of Amazon or Ebay !

Currently I am in ( not desperate ) need of an electric toaster -- and my printer has told me I'm low on ink.......

So I had a look on Amazon and found exactly what I need - at sale price......... but................. we went to Tesco yesterday, and decided to see what they had.

In the electrical section, we saw exactly the same toaster we wanted ( the one on 'sale' on Amazon.) Tesco's price was identical - it too was on sale-- but --the one on display was the ONLY one available. I spoke to the manager of the store. He declined to sell the display model - because it didn't have any packaging. I told the man that I didn't need the box........ but he wouldn't 'help' me.

I decided that I would not select a different model ( our current one still works - just ! ), and that I would default to Amazon (( including the printer ink )) --- and I'll be quids in because the ink is a lot cheaper on Amazon / Ebay !

Should I set a trivia question - to ask if anyone knows what Tesco will do with the 'unboxed' toaster & question No.2 = why didn't they keep the box ?

8. alwaysright

Good News ---The cost of filling up at the pumps should plummet ! Oil prices plummeted by 30% last week !

Bad News --- The cost of food for pigs that can fly has risen by 30% ! ------ Please DON'T smile, because...........if you do, things could be worse !

Worse News --- When oil prices plummet, the cost of Gas & Electricity goes up in [at least] equal amounts ---- it's funny how the principle never works in reverse ---- oh well - enjoy the penny off a litre while it lasts -------------- The Chancellor is going to take it [and a lot more ] away on Wednesday.

9. alwaysright

For better or for worse. For richer or for poorer. In sickness and in health etc ----- apparently that is NOT commitment !
    Just when you think you've heard most of the crap that comes out of a person's mouth - you get served up another beauty.

I have just finished watching the News on BBC1 -- I was doing stuff on my Tablet at the same time, and didn't really notice the next program starting (( trust me - it didn't stay on for long )). The program was called '' Eating with my ex.'' I gather that it features people keen to meet up with their ex -- to thrash out why the person became an 'ex'.

The first 'contestant' was a guy who wanted to ''go all in'' to win back his girl. He and a mate were in a florist when the love-sick idiot said that he would ''go all in.'' He was going to show how serious were his intentions - by buying some flowers! His even less intelligent friend was impressed by this expression of affection, and assured his friend that buying flowers was a sign of commitment.............................................. I immediately switched off.

10. alwaysright

Coronavirus -- it will get you -- especially if you give it a little help !
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/51845054

The video makes a mockery of measures intended, ( games in empty stadiums ), to try to stop the spread of the virus. Even more farcical is the situation in Italy - where shops are now closed to the public, except food shops !! -- So, how many millions of people go to the supermarket each day ?

I accept that Coronavirus is a problem - and that sensible precaution needs to be taken -- but -- I'm not so sure if we haven't gone a bit paranoid about the matter. We all have to eat. We have to go ( drive ), to the shops to get our food. The High Streets and supermarkets are likely to be the place where we encounter the largest gathering of people in our lives. Realistically, we're not going to prevent a meeting with the Grim Reaper - even if we 'self-isolate' for the rest of our lives.

We do have to take sensible precautions - to avert danger in all aspects of our lives - but even if I drive ultra carefully, it won't stop me from being killed by one idiot who jumps the red traffic light etc -- and yet, I don't see the World Health Organisation demanding that driving a motor car should be banned, or that all food should be banned due to obesity in our lives. We all continue to eat and to drive cars etc - despite the dangers these activities can pose.

Coronavirus is not the Black Death. The fact that it does kill, means that it needs to be given some sensible respect - but we shouldn't be paranoid. (( although I have cancelled my late autumn break in Rome - and I may have to give our summer holiday - 'booked' in Croatia, serious thought !) However, I will still be at the Fleetwood game - I should be 'over' my manflu by then (( honestly - that's all it is )) And just in case - I have stopped the use of 'tongue' when I kiss Mrs Alwaysright............................

......... we're off to the supermarket today -- to see what's on special offer -- maybe an enterprising funeral director should set up a franchise in the store ! If Coronavirus gets any worse, they might do a 'Bogof 'offer.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020

11. alwaysright

A business opportunity for Mr.Scally.

As we won't be having our match with Fleetwood tomorrow, I expect that Mr.Scally will be worried about the loss of revenue - well, I have an idea that might help;

We will probably have a 'surplus' of toilet paper - which won't be used by the non-attending fans. I reckon if he puts them on Ebay, he should be able to get quite a lot of interest (( reserve at £ 10 a roll )).

............. I may have to buy a couple of rolls - as you can see - I'm full of crap !

12. alwaysright

I was hoping to ''watch'' - I'm not sure if I'll bother to listen............ ( actually there is NO doubt that I won't )
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live-guide

Considering that the National League is the 'highest' form of football that hasn't yet been postponed, I was hoping that the BBC iplayer ( if not SKY / BT ), might have thought about screening the matches. I probably would have tuned in to see how Hess is getting on..................
    .......oh well - more decorating for Mrs A (( I reckon the whole house will be 'made over' before I see Gills again)) - I might have to start making my own toilet paper with all the old wallpaper!

13. alwaysright

I've obviously got too much time on my hands (( you shouldn't rush decorating -Mrs A will only find more for me to do ))
    https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/news/2020/march/club-notice-mar-20/

So - why have I bothered to highlight the article ? -- Well, apart from pointing out that having a ticket office that isn't 'open' for business is not new --
    I wanted to ask if anyone knows of an email address that ends with a . Or / and, are the first two letters (( C & E meant to be upper case )) ? -- I suppose I could try to send an email with those characters -- and see if it doesn't get spat back at me. .......... but I've got so much decorating to do, I haven't got time to end this sentence with a full stop

....................... I don't know about Coronavirus - If my mentality has been this 'affected' by one football free Saturday - just imagine how much of a gibbering wreck I'll be by August................... -- please - no sarcastic comment from the usual suspects

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  14. alwaysright

I know it's all about supply and demand............... but I got looks as if I was a leper !
    Whilst on an 'exercise' walk today, I was going past a 'corner shop' in my vicinity. The front door was open - and I couldn't help but notice that there was a large stack of multiple-pack toilet rolls ( not of any 'big brand' ). I hadn't seen any toilet paper for a month ( outside of my place ).

I have needed to get some loo rolls for my disabled, housebound mother ---- but I am not in any group who qualify for 'dedicated hours' shopping - so I have the same difficulties as the rest of us.
    I asked the shopkeeper if he would allow me to buy 2 packs - one for me & one for my mum. He said ''No problems.'' When he told me the price I nearly fainted. I am embarrassed to tell you - but - for ''inferior'' toilet paper, I have paid at least double the 'normal' price of premium quality. I felt sick - it nearly gave me the sh!ts............ but what can you do ?

So I handed over the payment - and duly began walking home.........and Boy - did I get some looks. I might as well as had a bell round my neck, and had to chant ''Unclean, Unclean, Unclean'' with the looks that I received............ anyone would think that it was me who was the greedy person in this episode. If anyone had dared to challenge my ''greed'', I would have been seriously tempted to start coughing.

15. alwaysright

So- where has all the money come from ? It'a a rhetorical question - because I don't need an answer..........
    .....Which, of course, is our taxes !

Firstly - I hope everyone is keeping well and at 'safe distance' My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of victims of the terrible virus that is destroying families - and my utmost admiration is for NHS staff, and anyone who have to place themselves at greater risk of infection to 'care' for others......

I fully understand that now is not really the time to criticise our Government (( and that is from somebody whose political slant has always been towards the 'right.'.)).... And I commend the political decision to assist people when jobs have disappeared and most businesses have collapsed. And I am in full support of vital PPE being mass produced to protect ( try to ), the aforementioned medical / caring staff.
    '' get on with it, alwaysright - what are you going to moan about now ''?

Well - what I really want to know is - what the hell was the Government going to do with all the Billions of £££ that has suddenly become 'available' to assist the NHS and the UK workforce ? Why wasn't more money available for the NHS to have sufficient PPE items - and - money available for more hospitals, doctors and nurses etc ? --- maybe patients wouldn't be kept on a waiting list for surgery for years - and maybe we wouldn't be having so many people dying every day.

And there will be other 'critical' areas - vital services, that have been deprived of adequate funding --- whilst there has been a huge pile of cash - our taxes, doing nothing ! If the money isn't needed (( remember - it wasn't being used -- just sitting there ! )), then, why did we have to pay all the bloody tax ? I don't particularly like being taxed - but if the Government is going to take my money in taxes, don't just waste the chance to save my life when there is a crisis.

Keep safe everyone.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  16. alwaysright

And - talking about 'needless' taxation
    I see that councils have suspended the restriction around cars parked in permit holders only areas. This is because with more people working from home - and other forms of 'house arrest,' there will be even fewer places to park all the cars in each family during normal 'business hours'. So - that is a sensible thing to do ---------------- however,
    Why can't that principle be extended to Saturdays ? And - the cynic in me has to ask -- why do the 'resident permit holders only' hours have to extend to 8pm in a lot areas -- including anywhere around Priestfield Stadium - where you can't park on a Tuesday night because the vultures come out at 7.30 pm and make pigs of themselves for half an hour. These 'people' are never in such locations at 8.01pm ! why not ? - because there is no money to be made.

........ and yet, if the vultures went into the road where my mum lives they would be able to feast on their ticket machines all day AND night. My mum lives in the first road outside of a 'Controlled Zone.' Very few residents of the adjacent road ( inside the zone ) park in their road - they all squeeze into my mothers road - with as many crammed onto the corners of the junction as is possible. The road is narrow - and with the utterly ridiculous positions of the cars - and with the almost total lack of visibility at the junction, it's a wonder that somebody hasn't been killed -- not that an ambulance or fire engine could get through ................ but if there had been any fatalities, it wouldn't put pointless taxation money into the pockets of local Government ---------- probably to stand idle until March of each year -- when there is a mad rush to spend it buying new office equipment - just to use the money in case the councils are not allowed to hike the Council Tax by 300% rate of inflation - every bloody year !

17. alwaysright

I know a few people who I'd like to help with this idea !!
    ................. and before any of you think that I have become sick and twisted --- I'd like to point out that I was sick and twisted long before Coronavirus!
    I am NOT making light of the terrible virus -- it's just that it is painful for me to hold back my warped sense of humour ----- I know that Coronavirus is unfunny - but , even in tragic times, we all need to have some light relief - before you all go as mad as me.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52145140
    sadly, it just shows how desperate we have become --- but --- Coronavirus is NOT FUNNY - please take it seriously - otherwise you'll end up choking to death -- and NOT because you've got a plastic bag tied over your head!

18. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

This isn't money that the government has in its back pocket or has found down the back of the sofa in No. 11. It's money that will be borrowed and added to the national debt. Yes, we'll be paying for it until we move on, so will our children, and probably even our grandchildren.

Remember the loans we took out from the USA and Canada at the end of the 2nd World War to stop us going bankrupt then, were only finally repaid at the end of 2006. The original value of that loan was USD4.34bn, which was valued at £27bn in December 2006.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...talment-of-us-loan-after-61-years-430118.html

So it took 60 years to repay debts that were probably less than 1/20th of the sort of money that the government is now promising...

19. alwaysright

Ok Tim - and what's the latest on the GFC debts....................................... you can't catch me - I can run faster than you !

20. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

I wish I knew.

Whilst details of national finances are, generally, fairly readily available (although you probably have to know where to look) details of the finances of GFC are only made available after they are filed at Companies House.

Despite the fact that you are allowed 9 months after your financial year end to do this, and that the majority of companies with higher turnover and vastly more complicated accounts manage to work within this rule, GFC accounts are frequently filed late, resulting in financial penalties which increase if you are a serial offender.

The 2016 accounts were filed nearly 3 months late (£375 fine), the 2017 accounts more than 4 months late (£750 fine, doubled to £1500 because of late filing 2 years running), 2018 accounts were less than a month late (£150 fine, I guess only doubled for 2 consecutive late filings) and the 2019 accounts are now over a month late, so that'll be another £375 x 2 fine at least.

So I hope you think that your season ticket money is being spent wisely

alwaysright and brb like this.