1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Shocked yesterday that Real Madrid offered PSG 180million for Mbebbe. I thought they were skint. Despite only having year left on contract. But PSG turned it down. Omg. He can now leave next season on a free. Football madness

2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I don't want '' Scally out!''....... but I would like an answer to a reasonable question(s)
    https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/gillingham-chairman-hits-back-at-critics-253306/

It's really sad to see (yet again), the Chairman going to press to voice his displeasure at criticism from some fans..... It's just horrible -'all round' - for the Club.
    I am not alone in making various comments ( critical and praise ), regarding the job being done by Mr. Scally. ANY supporter who thinks that our fortunes on the pitch are going to (massively) change in the near future, is deluding themselves! Whilst I'd love for The Gills to have major success on the pitch, the ONE thing I ask, of the squad, is 100% effort ( win, lose or draw.) - maybe THAT is not enough for fans who can't understand that we do not have the money to buy significantly better players - and who do not understand the (extra) pressures that Coronavirus has put on our (all) Chairman....... In this respect, and especially at such a ridiculously early stage in the season, it is unfair for people to bleat their chant --- HOWEVER --

Despite my 'praise' for Mr. Scally's business acumen, I will stand by my assertion that it appears ( imho ), that he doesn't seem capable of engaging with fans with the necessary empathy to understand how ''off field'' frustrations, can only be vented in a public manner. I am sure ( I KNOW ), that many other fans have TRIED conventional means of communication - only to receive no response. At the Morecambe game, I hand delivered a letter, for Mr. Scally. It was given to a senior member of staff. In it I made comments about his business 'brilliance', but was dismayed at the lack of response to reasonable ( & FAQs ) - I wrote about my understanding of promoting greater ( not exclusive ), use of cashless procedures. -- I queried the 'practicality' of this protocol in certain aspects - such as buying match day tickets by fans under 18 ( not able to have credit cards. ).. I mentioned that STH would like to know how the 'benefits' of the 'Friends for £5' & the 'free' (5) tickets in lieu of 2019/20 were going to be implemented. And - WHEN were the replica shirts going to be available to buy ?.....These issues, as much as anything concerning 'actual' football, are the matters that have the greatest 'impact' on the everyday life of supporters ( and the hoops through which we have to jump in trying to support our Club.). I 'advised' Mr. Scally of this point - and the need to engage and communicate with the fans - not to merely keep quiet - because that leads me to suspect that he's being arrogant and contemptible towards the fans - who are left 'wondering' for their answers.

I have NOT received a reply to my letter ( and I am sad to say that my 'suspicions' are not allayed by the lack of response )...... and it doesn't greatly impress me when he does an interview ( before going to Shrewsbury ) - where he talked ( much ) about the wonderful meal - the lovely steak he ate - and the many fine gins that were on offer, before going to the game...... fans don't want to hear what you stuffed in your face !!! THAT sort of crap isn't going to make you popular ! Fans need you to talk with then, not at them ! ..... and if you can't or won't engage with a fan who has been 'reasonable' and 'polite', can you really be surprised by the reaction of those less 'discerning' supporters ?,,,,,,,,,, Mr, Scally - you are permitted to have scorn and contempt for the most vitriolic critic, who might just think that you're stuffing your face and getting pi**ed at our expense ) - but that does not excuse you from answering 'reasonable ' questions !

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    gioblues likes this.
  3. alwaysright

I know that I haven't had a moan for about..................................................... a few minutes ! ( and I really need to 'chill' ) -

We've all got 'pet' hates - mine would fill all of the empty seats at Priestfield !........ One of my latest reared its' ugly head this morning !
    I was sitting having my breakfast - scouring through the 'to do' list that Mrs. A has given me ( she forgets that I watch the Test matches ! ).
    We were listening to the radio - when the adverts 'come on' ( I really hate the sound of Phillip Schofield's voice.)

The ads that I really detest are the ones that end up with the T & Cs being recited at three times the speed of light - with absolutely no chance of understanding them.. The commentators should be made to recite these terms at the same speed as the rest of the advert........and the same applies to the ads on television - when even Superman ( with X-ray vision ), would need a microscope to be able to read the T & Cs. ) - even Mr. Scally is more 'transparent! '

.... what get's your 'goat'? ( tail-gaters / middle lane hoggers / people who can't use signals / ditherers blocking supermarket aisles / no response to letters, emails, phone calls to a football club! etc etc etc etc)

brb likes this.
  4. alwaysright

Suddenly, everything else seem petty !
    I feel so sad for his family & friends - although I have lost several dear family and friends during the pandemic - thank God not my sons.... I can't imagine the heart so broken as Dylan's parents.... condolences hardly seem enough... R.I.P. Dylan.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-58457214

brb likes this.
  5. alwaysright

Somebody's got to pay for his 27.5% rise !.... as he continues to bite the hand that feeds !

I have had ( at least one - sometimes 3 ), Gills season tickets for many years. For the last 4 years, I have held a '2 year ' ticket... giving my money well in advance..........For last season I have not sought any refund.

Ahead of this season, I was compelled to 'apply' for my season ticket (( despite having done so, and paid 18 months ago. )) This 'application' was to facilitate the new admin process - whereupon I would opt for an E ticket, or a 'credit card' style of ticket....EXCEPT - the Club stated that anyone with a 2 year season ticket would NOT have a choice - but automatically given a 'card' ticket.......... I say '' given'' - but it doesn't come 'free!' -- I would have to pay £ 1 MORE !.....

...... and, indeed, I was charged for the privilege of not having a choice.......

I think that the levy was outrageous. ...... bearing in mind just how much money I have given - especially in recent years - and more especially that I had ''gifted'' any refund that I could have asked (( and, if I had used 'Chargeback', I could have got ALL of the cost of my season ticket. ))

Dear Mr. Scally -were you that desperate for an extra £1, that you were happy to 'rob' somebody ( and not just me ), who has given you Sooooo much money - - it shows just how cheap you value our support. ...
    ....This is the sort of nonsense that alienates fans away from Mr. Scally ( not Gillingham Football Club )

6. gioblues

Sure I read Scally was handing back the £1 fee. Don't quote me though if it never happens lol

alwaysright likes this.
  7. alwaysright

gioblues
    It's not the amount - it's the principle that determines the lack of 'value' in which STH are held by Mr. Scally..... Even to merely 'consider' the additional levy for fans who have given their money in advance ( and especially as the overwhelming majority have not asked for any refunds.).

I am entitled to my opinion - and, on this matter, my opinion is that a £1 is worth more to Mr. Scally than any insult to my loyalty.

8. alwaysright

Financial 'advice' No.1 for Mr.Scally......
    At Burton, I saw several people ( including under 18s ), buying matchday tickets - with cash from several physical ticket kiosks... I was able to go into the Club shop, and make a spontaneous purchase, with cash ( credit cards were also being accepted.) - I could even buy a replica shirt !.... Inside the stadium, I was able to buy food and drink from an ( open ) outlet - using cash ( I think this was of great benefit to the young fans with their pocket money cash ! ).....
    ..... what do you reckon ?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    brb likes this.
  9. alwaysright

Financial 'advice' No.2 for Mr. Scally..... (( this won't go down well with 'older' fans! ))

As the Club is keen to keep up with modern technology, I think that Mr.Scally needs to review the age parameters for charging 'senior' fans !
    The State Pension age is continually being increased..... 65 years old is no longer the age at which anyone officially becomes an O.A.P. .... For most people, the starting age for a State pension is 66...... it will very soon go to 67, and before long it will be 70+

Mr. Scally needs to retain the 'Adult' match day and season ticket prices, until people are on 'Official' O.A.P....This will mean that older fans will have to pay more money to 'Mr. Scally Football Club Ltd.' .... he's missing loadsadough.......

.....perhaps Mr. Scally can start the new prices from next season - after the pensioners get back their 'triplelock' ( I wonder if Boris would like to take over GFC - at least we'd get a load of lies and empty promises - instead of silence ....... .oops! )

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    brb likes this.
  10. gioblues

Oh dear oh dear. Always must of had a few too many. Funny always found that children at school were at school till 16/18 . So why do over 12 pay more?

alwaysright likes this.

11. alwaysright

Judging by the way some 'adults' behave, you'd think that they were still 6 or 7 years old ( apologies to all the lovely 6 and 7 year old children.......

.... anyway, as I see it, I can now lay claim to ownership of GFC -- as my recent payment for the 'card' season ticket means that I have paid back the £ 1 ( of his own money ), with which Mr. Scally 'bought' the Club all those years ago !..... So what do you say to that ?? --------------------

---------------- '' We want always out. we want always out ''

12. alwaysright

'' We want Scally out... We want Scally out '' !!!!! - it could be worse ! You might be a Derby fan !

As you all know, I am not shy in 'blunt' assessment of certain characteristics of our Chairman - (( either in excess or absent - but none too good )) but, I'd like to think that Mr.Scally has been trying to keep the Club in existence - during very challenging times, both on and off the pitch.... He certainly hasn't been spending £ 200 Million of his own money with his 'hobby.'....... and, judging by the mess in which Derby find themselves, it would seem that mere cash (( or anything cashless )), is not the definitive answer in the business of football.................. I do have a cynical viewpoint to offer !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58649432

So, What could be the worst case scenario ?? - Well - with all the 'hate' that is thrown at Mr. Scally, I wouldn't blame him if he decided that ;
    1.All the time he has the stomach to accept the 'handsome' consultancy fee ((assuming that there is enough income - of whatever sort - to cover his expenses)), he will keep things 'plodding' along - in L12 or L2. ... not so bad - so long as the players display the effort shown in the 2nd half v Charlton.

2. When he gets fed up of the 'hate' - or when the money dries up, and he can't be paid for his services - then - I wouldn't be surprised if he just closed the ground (( has he started with the ticket office, Megastore, Penalty Spot food outlet ? )) - then he can turn the place into a building development and walk away with £Millions.

...... I hope that N0.2 never happens... I may not be 'in love' with Mr. Scally - but - if he goes, I fear that it would be the end of GFC.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  13. alwaysright

Thank you - to all the idiots.............................................

.......Who were stupid enough to panic and spend half the last week in a queue for petrol or diesel - - you made my life a whole lot easier !!!

I went to Cambridge last night (( got thoroughly soaked after the game, as I returned to the coach - but who cares after a good performance and a nice win. )) I was very low on fuel - but had earlier seen a tanker on the forecourt of Tesco in Gillingham - together about a million cars forming a queue that was blocking the roundabout and about two postcodes beyond !.... I didn't bother !

On my return to my car - at just on the stroke of midnight, I drove to Tesco ( on my usual route to the M2 ) - I went straight into the petrol station - straight to the pumps (without) having to queue, and filled my tank ( £55 ) ........ So - thanks - to everyone who didn't get in my way !

...... I appreciate that some of the desperate 'Mad Maxers' had compelling reasons for their journeys - and a need for fuel - but I suspect that there are many thousands ( millions ), of cars sitting in their garage - with a full tank of fuel- but which won't be used again until Christmas !

brb likes this.
  14. alwaysright

I do actually care!............. and not just about Gills.

After watching the News ( to cheer myself up after today at Wycombe ! ).... As usual, we get fed the daily Coronavirus infection rate..... todays was just over 36,000 new infections. ...We also get the vaccination percentage.

At the current infection rate, there are around one million new infections each month....... I consider that as quite alarming on its' own -- but -- what I'd like to know is if the people who are being 'infected' in the daily numbers, have been vaccinated - or- are the new infections 'restricted' to the unvaccinated.... i suppose my greatest 'fear' is to find out the numbers who have been vaccinated, and now featuring in the daily numbers - thus giving cause for concern regarding the efficacy of the vaccines.......... I would be interested to know (( hoping that I wouldn't then wish I didn't know the answer .))

brb likes this.
  15. alwaysright

Just how much excrement can one person produce ? ...... and I'm not referring to Mr. Scally !

The article talks about the advice given by a Government official - to wear a jumper - rather then turn up your thermometer - to help reduce your heating bills and save the Planet !.... I can't see any problem with this 'advice.' (( although I can never win against Mrs alwaysright as she has 'control' over the thermometer in our house. )) ....
    ...... I was impressed at the image of the fully laden shopping trolley.. The 'shopper' obviously has a diarrhoea problem - and judging by the lack of food items in the trolley, the shopper can't afford to eat...... ( let's hope the family have plenty of jumpers to wear. ))
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ed-deny-wearing-JUMPER-official-guidance.html

16. alwaysright

It's just getting worse !
    These days, I am compelled to enter the GRS via the Rainham End... The turnstiles in Gordon Rd have been closed to STH for a couple of years... Now the Club have closed half the gates at the Rainham End ( no doubt to save on staff wages. ) This was not inconvenient - and with dwindling attendances, it actually makes sense.

Once inside the ground, my friend, with me, asked if he could go into the 'pop-up' shop to buy a shirt for his son....... There was a choice of exactly 2 shirts available... The size was 'Large, and Extra Large -- for a 'new born baby' - in other words - no bloody use at all..... My friend was told to order a shirt 'online.'

We then passed The Penalty Spot food outlet - we has to 'pass' it - because once again it was closed..... I said that I wanted to get a drink - and we walked under the Rainham End - but - turned around almost as soon as we got to the bottom of the steps.... The queue for 'service' was ridiculously long. I guessed it might take 20-30 minutes to reach the front -- and, quite frankly, I lost my appetite.

...... So, can you guess how much revenue has been lost - just in this one little episode ?? I wonder how many more 'little episodes' have occurred in the last few weeks..... The organisation and consideration for the fans is woeful.

edit -- and the Stadium announcer saying that if people had not been able to get a program (( obviously didn't print enough )), they can be got ''online'' - Really ? People want the program with the game - not some time afterwards.... I don't buy the Radio Times to read up on the television listings for yesterdays viewing !

brb likes this.
  17. brb

brb CR250

and to think this was one of the attractive games of the season, it don't bode well.

alwaysright likes this.
  18. alwaysright

Unfortunately, it turned into a 'stupid competition.'...... who could give the most idiotic answer ?

Last night, I had the misfortune of tuning into Family Fortunes - for the first ( and now last ) time in many years...
    I didn't realise that it has become a competition to find the thickest family in the UK.

At one stage the eventual winners of the show, had to provide the names of famous Dames..... Here is a list of names - which actually 'won' the round ( mainly because the opposing family were even more thick !).... try not to laugh;
    1. Dame of England. 2 Pass. 3 Dame Edna Evarage ( it was in the list .) 4 Dame River ! 5 Pantomime Dame ! 6 Dame Elizabeth. 7 Dame Sarah. 8 Dame Judy.... Naturally there was much laughter in the studio - and the above answers were not in the list ( except No. 3 - somehow ! )........ The opposing family eventually opted for Dame Victoria, in order to try to 'steal' the round --- by now I'm almost wetting myself .

The families managed to 'miss' Dame Kelly Holmes, Dame Helen Mirren and Dame Maggie Smith......
    .... I think they should do a round to name famous Lords...... will somebody answer Lord Charles ? upload_2021-10-18_9-32-1.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  19. alwaysright

I'm still waiting................ but obviously not in a queue for petrol.

It's been nearly 3 weeks since the country turned into something out of Mad Max - with people prepared to wield machetes at other motorists who dared to push in whilst waiting for 2 or 3 hours in the hope of getting a few litres of fuel.
    The Government has said that there was NO shortage of fuel - 'just' not enough HGV drivers etc etc...... but that didn't stop people from going into meltdown - and desperately seeking to top up their already 75% full tanks.......

...... nor did it stop the fuel retailers from hiking up the price. I am now paying 6 pence a litre more than the end of September.... Before that, there has been a steady increase in the price of petrol and diesel - since last year... It is now about 25 - 30p a litre more.

If the latest fuel rise was caused by the sudden panic by motorists (( at a time when there were plentiful supply )), it follows that many of the same motorists still have fuel in their tanks from September....In theory, there should be even more fuel available - which 'should' reduce the price at the pumps -- if the natural laws of 'Supply & Demand' were to follow.......................but - as you all know - that hasn't happened......And, it doesn't look like happening......I'm still waiting !

..... and Boris couldn't care less - he's too busy fathering more children, and going on ridiculously expensive holidays..... funded by the tax that all of us are paying in extra fuel duty.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  20. brb

brb CR250

I can't see anyone reducing fuel prices anytime soon and defo not in the future mate, I'd expect them to go through the roof, as motorists slowly but surely move over to electric. But prepare yourself, because once the highest percentage of motorists fall into the electric category, you've got another shock coming, no apologies for the pun, road charging! Yup, that's how they are going to compensate for the loss of fuel revenue. The government has had a bit of a double whammy over the last decade or two, especially with the decline of cigarette smoking, so expect a noticeable sugar tax too.

alwaysright likes this.