1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Athletic: Danny Ings signs new long-term contract, but not for Southampton.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

I like Danny, he's been a real good buy for us, but like all those players who for reasons I sometimes fail to understand get the idea that their future is mainly sitting on the bench of a top 6 team, then best of luck. From as far back as i can recall we've had this continuous dilemma of players who quickly get unsettled after great form with us. As before we'll have to deal with it but frankly it's just business at the end of the day for the player, the club, the owner but for us fans we unfortunately let emotional reactions creep in and feel let down etc. If Danny goes, my reaction is 'next please'.

2. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I think that Man City would end up paying far less than £30 million for Ings. The fee is likely to be no more than we paid for him as he is several years older and only has one more year left on his contract. He is not a long term replacement for Aguero and I cannot see City spending that kind of money on a player who will sit on the bench. If Ings was staying, I feel that the contract would have been signed by now and am therefore resigned to him leaving in the summer. To be honest, I am wondering if we have had the best out of him anyway and there would be some sense in getting what we can for him as long as we replace him with someone decent.

I am actually more concerned about losing JWP. I think we will struggle to keep him in the summer and that he will prove to be the highest profile loss. I have a nasty suspicion about Liverpool making a bid for him.

Dell Boy and Cowtownred like this.
  3. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Good post IT. I’ve said a few times £30m max & as time moves forward, I also think that’s reducing. Probably a 20+5 or something like that. From a team perspective we certainly won’t be able to get anywhere near a replacement but he is set on European football, I can’t see any point in fighting. It’ll just be a mess until the summer & then peanuts. That said, I hope he stays but I’m skeptical.

Totally agree, I’m more worried about losing James. That would be an absolute kicker. I see him as a bit of a Mr SFC and that would just be disastrous, Don’t even want to think about that.

4. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Whilst I am under no illusion that because JWP loves the club, that he will never leave, I do think he would give us another year should a top side show interest this summer. Especially with the Ings situation - the club are well aware that losing not only our 2 best players, but 2 fan favourites, would be disastrous.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    davecg69 likes this.
  5. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

<laugh> I’m totally under the illusion that JWP loves the club and will never leave. And I will remain so until, inevitably, the illusion/delusion is shattered

6. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

The fact that a Pompey native has become so loyal to the Saints will please for ever more, whatever happens.

7. Archers Road

Bobby Stokes was a Pompey boy. I actually love him even more, for that...

8. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Loyalty for me disappeared the day when twat beard said in a interview if he could sign a contract to finish his career with saints ...he would.
    Then Liverpool showed an interest.....he couldn’t get out fast enough.
    Players and managers will always come and go, and if one of the big boys do come on with a big money offer for JWP......annoyed? Yes ......but we have been here before.
    Reinvest /pay some debt and move on.

9. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

The reliable Saints sources say Ings is happy to renew but wants to be given a move if a big club came in for him. Hypothetical, but if he doesn't sign, the club need to determine whether we're better off with him until 2022 (presuming we stay up this year and he's then enough to keep us up next season) and then let him go for free, or sell him this summer and trying to replace him with the funds we get.

I've not really got much clue about how football finances/fees work, but I think in basic terms we spread the £20m we spent on Ings over his four year contract, which means he costs the club £5m per year (with wages on top)?

So what I'm trying to say, badly, is would it be worth missing out on getting a fee for him this summer, if the £5m he costs us keeps us up in 2022?

If he's sold, all the funds we get will be needed to replace him, so either way we're not really in a better place financially.

10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced he’d be a success elsewhere, despite how amazing he is for us.

11. Archers Road

There’s no guarantee that he would be, but I expect he’d back himself to succeed where Morgan Schneiderlin, for example, didn’t .

ChilcoSaint and fatletiss like this.
  12. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Brinkworth Saint likes this.
  13. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

14. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Ings can piss off now... unless of course he signs that new deal, then we go back to hailing him as king n all that.

<laugh>

Archers Road likes this.
  15. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Why not Bamford, Calvert-Lewin and Kane?, why is it always a ****ing Saints player!...:emoticon-0121-angry

16. Bill Hill

Bill Hill Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if Ings succeeds at a club like spurs or city. He only plays well when he plays every match - he works his way up to top form. When he is out for a bit he looks bang average until it clicks again. They simply wont get the same Ings they see at Southampton.

Maicosaint, garysfc and berlinersaint like this.
  17. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I think the question is:

Big fish in medium sized pond or medium fish in a huge pond.

18. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

He’s like Mark Noble, great player at a small club but unlikely to attract interest from the big boys

19. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

...cardboard box! Big fish in medium sized pond or medium fish in a huge pond, cardboard box!

20. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member