1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Athletic: Danny Ings signs new long-term contract, but not for Southampton.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Oct 19, 2020.

1. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Lots of pragmatism and realism on here which is great to see. The club have handled themselves very well thru this I think, shown by the fact that nobody here here thinks its down to anyone other than Ings.

His words when he arrived feel recent and now ring verrrrry hollow. I think he has no faith in the future of the club and at the end of last season I would have felt the same. Ironically, now he is leaving, I look at the acquisitions we have made and I see a bright future with our young and talented new players.

2. Brixham Saint

Brixham Saint Well-Known Member

Next few days should be interesting. Rumours that Villa came in for Ings on Sunday with things agreed very quickly, with Ralph being involved and kept in the loop, (which he has confirmed tonight).
    You would therefore think that we would have made moves for replacement/‘s pretty quickly?
    With Ings going, we have not only got a very good fee, but got rid of probably the highest earner of the books.
    Rumours we were looking at 1-2 signings before the Ings sale, so I’m hoping for a couple of permanent signings and with the wages we’ve freed up this summer, a cou0le of ver6 good loan signings.
    We may have to wait until the end of August for all to be sorted, but I have faith in Seemens, Ralph etc.

3. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

I suspect we will be capturing Armstrong soonish

unless Libby has a word in Ralph’s ear

4. Cowtownred

Cowtownred Well-Known Member

Apparently he is going to sign for Palace!

5. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Then we’re signing Delgado. Heard he’s a cracking player from Ecuador

6. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

We are going to be linked with a hundred players in the next 2 weeks. I'm expecting we will sign a first team starter and a 18/19 year old to build up. Not sure it will be Armstrong tho. I think he was in the frame to stay with Ings. Now he has left we could look to someone a bit pricier and perhaps more proven.

Cowtownred likes this.
  7. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

That's just reminded me to check the sell by dates on my yoghurt in the fridge...

8. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I'll stump for Daniel Jebbison as the 18/19 year old. Scored on his debut against Everton for now-relegated Sheffield Utd, dominated at the youth level. Also, as Canada is the new Holland in terms of producing attacking talent* we should really get in on the ground floor there.

*Citation needed.

9. Cowtownred

Cowtownred Well-Known Member

Let me drop this one again, for those who missed it.

SaintinNZ likes this.
  10. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Well Ings got his final big pay out before his career winds down abet not with a Champions League contender. Saints offloaded a player who did not want to be here, banked £30M, so recovered more than his initial transfer fee and took his high wage bill off the overheads. Those are the positives and l think we should just stick with them, the rest is all speculation.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021

11. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Danny, you absolute ****er <laugh>

What the **** have you done?

12. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Very strange & sad decision by Ings. Can’t say I wish him any ill but I hope that Villa investment is a total bag of ****e. End of, he’s gone. What’s key for SFC now, is how we invest the £. Up the Saints.

Archers Road and shoot_spiderman like this.
  13. LincolnSaint

LincolnSaint Well-Known Member

Right, woken up considerably calmer. The disappointment in the eyes of mini Lincoln was probably pushing me to be more irate than I should have been last night.

Do we need his goals? Absolutely but as others pointed out he spent a long time injured.

Secondly although we've not got the money or status to attract top talent. We're still an attractive proposition to hungry players. That doesn't change because ings wants out, every player is a gamble and we might uncover a gem from a different league.

Thirdly he doesn't want to be at the best club in the world in the finest city in world. So **** him. His loss. Within 10 years he'll be remembered with us much reverence as Stern John or Ricardo Fuller. Boyhood club my arse. In the words of a wise philosopher....

You won, Enjoy the money, I hope it makes you happy. Dear lord, what a sad little life, You ruined my night completely so you could have the money and I hope now you can spend it on lessons in grace and decorum. Because you have all the grace of a reversing dump truck without any tyres on. So Danny, take your money and get out of St Mary’s

14. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

I thought Danny was a hero. Turns out he's a Villain

15. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

When actually he’s just a pro sportsman, doing what benefits him and his family most, and the end of his career and having a history of injuries.
    Totally out of order!

16. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Whoosh!

17. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Sadly ... True

18. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

I'm glad someone got it <laugh>

19. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

Yeah, but how much isn’t enough etc etc, He wouldn’t have exactly been on the breadline if he stayed would he. But yes, I get your point, and I’ve not been in that insane position!

Maybe all players should just say when they join, ‘I’m a mercenary, but happy to play for you guys for now’

Archers Road likes this.
  20. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

I think should be taken as read. It’s why I despise badge kissing. Easy way to get the fans into a lather but so dishonest.