1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Athletic: Danny Ings signs new long-term contract, but not for Southampton.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Oct 19, 2020.

1. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Been thinking about his strike partners and felt sorry for Watkins being dropped in favour of Ings. Trouble is, he likes playing the lone striker role and does not necessarily fit in a front two. Can't remember too many times when we thought wow, this partnershipwith Che is really going to be something. Yet the understanding between Che and Tella was easy to see pre season and the Che / Armstrong partnership has demonstrated a very natural understanding.

Maybe I'm being harsh on Ings because of the way he left and I always thought he worked very hard fro the team, but I just feel that potentially we may have just stepped up a gear or two.

2. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

Which of the two Villa players are you saying likes the lone role? Watkins or Ings?

Watkins had a pre season injury so probably isn’t fully fit. I don’t think we will know for certain whether or not he has completely lost his place until post international break

On an unrelated note because I was thinking of Brentford where Watkins came from. I wonder where Toney ends up. Because he won’t be at Brentford in two years time unless he epically flops in the premier league (and I don’t think he will)

He’s not going to be signed by a true top side apart from maybe Liverpool. Just because of who they usually go for. Just something to muse on

3. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

I meant Ings.

4. Gregm1988

Ah well it will be interesting to see what happens. It might partly explain his move if Villa’s plan is for him to be sole striker. Because we were never going to do that and as I mentioned Southgate needs evidence of someone playing that way for his squad

mowgli likes this.
  5. Gregm1988

I find it amusing that some Villa fans are annoyed that Ings hasn’t made the England squad citing his two goals in two games

they really believe that him simply moving to them and getting a couple of goals is enough to tip the balance it seems

Schrodinger's Cat and davecg69 like this.